Do you guys not get sick of the kids first theme at SBP?

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I agree, the one thing I hate about the Scotia Bank place is that its way too family-friendly. I have nothing against families, hell I like going to the games with my family whenever I do, but it's also cause I'm the youngest one in my family and I'm 22. Maybe if the SBP lowered their beer prices so people get more drunk, then parents would bring their kids less.

More beer = less kids.
Win/win imo, I think we're onto something...anyone want to start a petition?

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
I think we should start a petition to bring back "song 2" by blur as our goal song.

i agree.

they do still use it sometimes. For the leafs game last month they did, and the atmosphere for that game was amazing. Obviously they still use it in the playoffs too.

Mawlrat

Sep 27, 2011
Anyone who ever complains about the atmosphere just wants to be catered to, it seems. I go to the games and work my hardest to make the atmosphere good by being crazy and rallying fans around me into insanity that is fanatics. I've been to plenty of games where I've been asked by lame people to be quiet and had other fans tell that person to leave if they don't like the fun.

If you have a problem with the atmosphere, be the change yourself. You'll never get anything going if you just sulk about how the kids get all the attention or you don't feel driven by the atmosphere.

Let's get the chants going, not just "Go Sens Go" or "Alfie", but "Ooh Aah Silfverberg, say Ooh Aah Silfverberg!". Get friends to go all together and bring a new chant. Set the tone.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Anyone who ever complains about the atmosphere just wants to be catered to, it seems. I go to the games and work my hardest to make the atmosphere good by being crazy and rallying fans around me into insanity that is fanatics. I've been to plenty of games where I've been asked by lame people to be quiet and had other fans tell that person to leave if they don't like the fun.

If you have a problem with the atmosphere, be the change yourself. You'll never get anything going if you just sulk about how the kids get all the attention or you don't feel driven by the atmosphere.

Let's get the chants going, not just "Go Sens Go" or "Alfie", but "Ooh Aah Silfverberg, say Ooh Aah Silfverberg!". Get friends to go all together and bring a new chant. Set the tone.

Thing is every time I go to a habs and sens game and I cheer "go habs go" I look around and even the other sens fans don't boo me and other habs fans don't join in. I can try being the change but it seems like i'm the only one having fun. The one time it was loud, another habs and sens game, there were like six or seven young girls aged from like 9-13 cheering for the sens and they were so noisy it was annoying but I loved it, they were happy all game long and it was nice to see kids having fun.

I know I shouldn't be comparing the Scotia Bank Place to the Centre Bell because its unfair due to obvious differences such as the largeness of fanbases, but I feel like Montreal has older 20+ fans and tend to be loud all throughout games even when we're losing all game. Most loud sens fans I encounter are the friends I go with (21-23 years old) because they're usually drunk or young kids when I'm in the 300s (apart from the obvious game moments when there's a fight or a goal, then everyone is loud).

I think I'm always going to sit in the 300s even though I'm surrounded with kids (which I don't like) but at least I can usually expect a fun/loud atmosphere...I just need to make sure I stay away from the coke zone, I don't think they sell beer there.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
Considering how much people complain that our fanbase is swamped locally by Habs and Leaf fans, you should be pretty pleased that the team is embracing the younger audience.

Children are the future. Let's swing them into our camp while they're young. They're the ones who are going to be filling up SBP years from now while us old codgers complain about their bizarre music and fashion sense.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I agree, the one thing I hate about the Scotia Bank place is that its way too family-friendly. I have nothing against families, hell I like going to the games with my family whenever I do, but it's also cause I'm the youngest one in my family and I'm 22. Maybe if the SBP lowered their beer prices so people get more drunk, then parents would bring their kids less.

More beer = less kids.
Win/win imo, I think we're onto something...anyone want to start a petition?

The thing is i don't want to deter people from bringing their kids. It can be magical for them. I don't want to deter families. I just want to entice the young adults. I'm talking the hardcores like us. The 16-30 year olds who can tell you who's 7th on the team in short handed time on ice per game. Right now the atmosphere isn't made for those people. It's made for Jimmy who's an OK fan, who decides to bring his wife sally who doesn't know what number kyle turris is, and bring daughter sara who doesn't even know who kyle turris is, and little billy who is crying half the game. That's the problem.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
The thing is i don't want to deter people from bringing their kids. It can be magical for them. I don't want to deter families. I just want to entice the young adults. I'm talking the hardcores like us. The 16-30 year olds who can tell you who's 7th on the team in short handed time on ice per game. Right now the atmosphere isn't made for those people. It's made for Jimmy who's an OK fan, who decides to bring his wife sally who doesn't know what number kyle turris is, and bring daughter sara who doesn't even know who kyle turris is, and little billy who is crying half the game. That's the problem.

Dude.

Hardcores like us would go to Sens games if the intermission entertainment was reruns of I Love Lucy, and they replaced the arena announcer with a clown honking a bicycle horn.

If you're not going to Sens game if ONLY because of the music they play between the whistles, I'd be reluctant to use the term "hardcore".

They already have us.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Part of me wonders how different the atmosphere at Sens games would be if the rink wasnt out in Kanata. I bet they would appeal to a totally different crowd.

This. But this is old hat.

I grew up in Kanata and BICYCLED to sens games as a kid. Now, I guess if it were downtown I would still take a bus down there, but there is no denying that arena location has a ton to do with age demographics at the game. I've always wished SBP was out by Bayview or something. But that's just the way it's gonna be for the next 30 years or so.

RappinHobo

#1 Lehner Fanboy
Apr 13, 2010
Ottawa
I think we should start a petition to bring back "song 2" by blur as our goal song.

No. I petition we go back to Seven Nation Army and instead this time we use the normal version instead of the crap electric one. I thought using Seven Nation Army would be a genius move to give our crowd an identity but it seems like our crowd doesn't care about things other than the same old crap of "Go Sens Go" and "Alfie" chants.

Step

It's been a tough year...
Nov 9, 2007
Ottawa
  • People leave early because the organization decided to put the arena in a suburb instead of Lebreton Flats where it should be.
  • The music is very electronic heavy and meant for a younger crowd.
  • We have 14 year old cheerleaders that creep me the hell right out.
  • Lots of bearded soccer-dads in the crowd. Which is fine - they've probably been hardcore fans for years and really support the team - but it is a suburban crowd.
  • Every time I go to a game I'm always either beside a family or an elderly couple. Hard to be rowdy and/or berate the opposition with that crowd around you.
  • Our trumpet intro is about 19 years past its prime.

Oh, and our entire marketing department should really reconsider their choices. Sens Army? I mean c'mon. Does anybody know one person in the city that actually uses that term?

Plus..what the hell is this?
ottawa-senators-ready-for-more.jpg

Does that get you super pumped to spend $200+ for a night out of hockey? Or would you rather just stay at home, mute Dean and drunk uncle Denis (or cringe your way through) and have a pint with your significant other/friends and watch the game?

I love my team, my city and our Sens fans in general. I was at the first game at the Civic Centre and I follow them just as passionately as you guys. You have to admit - there's some serious improvement required.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The last game I went to against Boston we had a row of twenty something "kids" that had a loud raunchy narrative going throughout the whole game, start to finish. They complained about every play on every shift throughout the whole game. It's one thing to cheer for your team but it's quite another to be in constant negative mode *****ing loudly about what to most around them was immature uninformed & uneducated (in hockey terms) comments. It's a total lack of respect with so many kids & women around that they would act this way but it didn't seem to matter to them. Are people losing their interactive social skills for the sake of attention seeking?

Most people kept looking back at them with the look that says you guys are idiots but I assume they were not smart enough to pick up on that & kept right on with the negative running commentary about a team that is having a great season under some very difficult injury situation. Also the Sens were in that Bruins game right up to the last minute against a Bruins team that are considered a Cup contender. Some "kids" just want & expect the Sens to win every shift, every puck battle & score on every offensive opportunity. It's unrealistic & uneducated & ruins the enjoyment of watching the game for those around them but they obviously couldn't care less about anyone else. :shakehead

I would hate to think that we live in the world where it's all about me & **** everybody else. I'm all for cheering loudly & supporting your team, but enough with the running commentary throughout the whole ****ing game. I don't want to listen to your opinion all game long when you don't know what you are talking about. Shout the **** up! I apologize to all the kids & women reading this forum.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad