• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
We were pinned in our own end for way too long towards the end of the game. It's not really on the goalie imo. I mean sure, they can play out of their mind and win it for the team, but that shouldn't be the expectation when the other team basically plays like they were on PP for 15 minutes.
I mean asking your goalie to post better than an .833 is an incredibly low bar. The team played poorly(sans Mack) but Kuemper played worse.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
This is not how it works. He had a bad game and had very little help in front of him. Playoff hockey is hard, the Avs are 7-2, is there a team with a better record thus far?

Let's not get carried away lol.
his name was in the Vezina conversation before Binnington got back. He'd certainly be a welcome additon here

Turbonium

Aug 21, 2020
Spain
his name was in the Vezina conversation before Binnington got back.

Campbell's name was in that conversation at one point also. Husso is in no way one of the top goalies in the league.

I didn't find the rest terribly noteworthy.

Ah, so ignore the fact that the Avs have the best record of anyone in the playoffs so far and should bench their goalie after a game in which the team decided to play for about 20 minutes total. Good stuff.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Campbell's name was in that conversation at one point also. Husso is in no way one of the top goalies in the league.

Ah, so ignore the fact that the Avs have the best record of anyone in the playoffs so far and should bench their goalie after a game in which the team decided to play for about 20 minutes total. Good stuff.

I've repeatedly acknowledged that the team in front him played like it was terrified of the puck. Regardless, if he's shell shocked, he might not be the best option. Don't care about Feb - Apr at this point.

Turbonium

Aug 21, 2020
Spain
I've repeatedly acknowledged that the team in front him played like it was terrified of the puck. Regardless, if he's shell shocked, he might not be the best option. Don't care about Feb - Apr at this point.

Look at your poll results, anything else isn't terribly noteworthy.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Look at your poll results, anything else isn't terribly noteworthy.

I'm not surprised entirely by the results. People are completely willing to follow flawed truisms. Was I not supposed to make the thread because people are predictable?

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Kuemper bad. Frank worse.

If we had competent replacements for many of the guys in the lineup I would make changes though.

Bench Makar? Do it.

Fire Rants into the sun? Do it.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021

There are only a handful of good goalies in the league. Husso's numbers this season are on par with Kuemper's One thing I have noticed with Kuemper is he can't stay on his feet, he has been dropping to his knees on most shots for some reason.

only thing we can hope for now is Kuemper plays a good game cause we might get Husso'd in game 6.

hope like hell I am wrong

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Kuemper bad. Frank worse.

If we had competent replacements for many of the guys in the lineup I would make changes though.

Bench Makar? Do it.

Fire Rants into the sun? Do it.

Great post

Oh man I am with you on this .
seen if it shakes them up for game 7

put a hungry Burakovsky in for Rants and hope like hell Makar learns from that awful performance

jaisen73

Oct 5, 2006
You go with Kuemper. Last night was definitely not his best game but the team in front of him did him no favors. I'll pin the OT winner on Darcy but the rest is on the full team.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Its the end of the story as long as he does well. If not, it's a question that lives through the ages.

If he ends up choking it away then the mistakes were twofold: Getting him in the first place, and beyond that the organization putting no worthwhile effort whatsoever toward developing legitimate goalie prospects until Annunen showed up. Frankie is not the answer. Again, he hasn't proven at all that he's capable of taking the starter's role, most definitely not this yearr.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Kuemper is the only answer, even after a bad game. Maybe if he shits the bed in game 6 you reconsider.

Francouz looked kinda bad against Nashville, if the Preds actually played competitive hockey it would have been an issue.

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Kuemper blew last night. But in his first 7 playoffs games, he had a .917 SV% and 2.14 GAA.

I'm not going to pretend he's stolen any games this post-season because he definitely hasn't. But, he was playing well before Game 5.

In other words, no way in heck should Colorado switch to Francouz.

He wasn’t playing well. He was playing at exactly average. And after last nights game…

He literally has to make all the basic saves and not give up a soft goal/game. No one is asking for Roy or Hasek. But he has given a soft goal each game this PO’s and absolutely shit the bed last night.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
If he ends up choking it away then the mistakes were twofold: Getting him in the first place, and beyond that the organization putting no worthwhile effort whatsoever toward developing legitimate goalie prospects until Annunen showed up. Frankie is not the answer. Again, he hasn't proven at all that he's capable of taking the starter's role, most definitely not this yearr.

I hate to break it to ya... Annunen isn't a legit goalie prospect. His lateral movement is so bad, he's never going to be a capable starter.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I hate to break it to ya... Annunen isn't a legit goalie prospect. His lateral movement is so bad, he's never going to be a capable starter.

Well, you don't have to break it to me, I kinda figured he wasn't. My point was that the Avs didn't even bother TRYING to develop a goalie prospect until they drafted him. Before that it was a bunch of lazy late-round picks from Euro leagues in hopes that some other organization would develop a viable netminder.

This feels very similar to the Coyotes when they had David Leneveu. They were soooooo convinced he was a viable goalie prospect that they never bothered drafting or developing anyone else. He never panned out which then prompted the Coyotes to make a really, really bad trade for Brian Boucher and, well, it's ancient history. The Blues lucked into Binnington but never gave away Husso, and that may end up winning them this series. Similarly, the Rangers thought Danny Blackburn was The Man, but they still decided to draft a rather handsome goalie in the 7th round from Sweden the following year, and took the time and effort to develop him.

The point I am :deadhorse of course, is that teams should be exhausting all options when it comes to developing goalies. Don't just lean on ONE and hope he pans out, draft, sign, whatever, get them in the system and fill the ranks as much as you can. If nothing else you'll get some okay-ish backups. This, more than anything, has been Joe Sakic's greatest failure as GM. I put a lot of that on ownership too, feels like that's one area they just didn't bother committing to financially until they absolutely had to.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Well, you don't have to break it to me, I kinda figured he wasn't. My point was that the Avs didn't even bother TRYING to develop a goalie prospect until they drafted him. Before that it was a bunch of lazy late-round picks from Euro leagues in hopes that some other organization would develop a viable netminder.

This feels very similar to the Coyotes when they had David Leneveu. They were soooooo convinced he was a viable goalie prospect that they never bothered drafting or developing anyone else. He never panned out which then prompted the Coyotes to make a really, really bad trade for Brian Boucher and, well, it's ancient history. The Blues lucked into Binnington but never gave away Husso, and that may end up winning them this series. Similarly, the Rangers thought Danny Blackburn was The Man, but they still decided to draft a rather handsome goalie in the 7th round from Sweden the following year, and took the time and effort to develop him.

The point I am :deadhorse of course, is that teams should be exhausting all options when it comes to developing goalies. Don't just lean on ONE and hope he pans out, draft, sign, whatever, get them in the system and fill the ranks as much as you can. If nothing else you'll get some okay-ish backups. This, more than anything, has been Joe Sakic's greatest failure as GM. I put a lot of that on ownership too, feels like that's one area they just didn't bother committing to financially until they absolutely had to.

I feel the Avs have tried at times. Pickard and Martin were very good attempts at developing goalies. Pickard got real close until the whole Vegas debacle and the lost confidence. Not that he was ever going to be elite, but he was developed well. Martin was given as long of run as he really could here, but I think you can clearly say he wasn't developed well... once he got to an elite system, he's turned into a very solid goalie who may still end up being a NHLer.

I just don't think the Avs are very good at scouting goalies and they know it. So they'd rather grab a guy who has proven something in the NHL for assets than draft guys on their own consistently. Which I honestly get, but when the time comes, you can't let them walk.

Reactions: McMetal

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
This is crazy talk. Ride or die with Kuemps. One bad game and we're all calling for his head? Come on, we're getting worse than Toronto fans here with the overreactions.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
This is crazy talk. Ride or die with Kuemps. One bad game and we're all calling for his head? Come on, we're getting worse than Toronto fans here with the overreactions.
Don't forget Bednar needs to be fired too. The failure is systemic and endemic.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021

Bllackburn was drafted the year after Lundquist but yes I agree with this.

Having said that there only handful of goalies in the league now that are above average

AvBuff

May 1, 2019
No way do you jettison Kuemper. Talk about a panic reaction up 3-2.

Look, Kuemper wasn't great last night, but . . . well, during the 6 on 5, Cale Makar looked like he was putting for par at 18 at Augusta rather than sweeping the front of the net with a one goal lead with a series win on the line. CM is either hurt worse than they're letting on, or he's checked out.

All he had to do was look up and wave his stick around. It was pitiful.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad