Do you even want the playoffs or stanley cup awarded this year for the Leafs?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I would be very happy to see any hockey right now. I just finished watching all 4½ games of the 1988 Cup final.

I would love to see the Leafs win the Cup under any circumstances, but let's be realistic: depending on how they decide who gets in, and with or without finishing the regular season, there is a good chance we don't make the playoffs at all, and virtually no chance we win more than a round.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I would be very happy to see any hockey right now. I just finished watching all 4½ games of the 1988 Cup final.

I would love to see the Leafs win the Cup under any circumstances, but let's be realistic: depending on how they decide who gets in, and with or without finishing the regular season, there is a good chance we don't make the playoffs at all, and virtually no chance we win more than a round.
What are the senarios for the playoffs? Right now we would be in a spot. Why would we have virtually no chance of winning more than a round if we do get in?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
What are the senarios for the playoffs? Right now we would be in a spot. Why would we have virtually no chance of winning more than a round if we do get in?
If they just stop the regular season, we're in, whether they go by points or point % (a better way, and despite being ninth in the east, we're lucky that the Atlantic is a weaker division).

If they try to play even a few more regular season games, Florida is only 3 points back with a game in hand.

If they keep the regular playoff format, we face Tampa in the first round, and probably Boston in the second (unless you think the Islanders can take them out).

If they go to a suggested straight 1-8, 2-7, 3-6, 4-5 format, we face Tampa or Washington (by points) or Boston (by point %) in the first round, and likely one of the other two in the second.

In either scenario, I don't like our chances of making it out of the first round, let alone the second.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I guarantee that when the Leafs do win the Cup in some unspecified future year some narrative will be concocted then disseminated on social media that claims the win isn't valid. Leafs' fans need to develop thicker skin than Aaron Sanchez' index finger.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
What would have better odds?
Leafs winning the Cup or being knocked out in the first round again?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
What would have better odds?
Leafs winning the Cup or being knocked out in the first round again?

Based on Oddsmakers ..

NHL odds 2020: Stanley Cup predictions, title picks, top teams to avoid from proven handicapper

The 2019-20 NHL season was more than 80 percent complete before the coronavirus pandemic ground play to a halt. Now, division leaders like the Blues, Golden Knights, Bruins and Capitals are hoping to re-start as soon as safely possible so they can resume their hopes of capturing the Stanley Cup. The Bruins would be the Presidents' Trophy winners if the rest of the season were canceled, but they're only second favorite in the latest 2020 Stanley Cup odds at +550.

The Golden Knights are the +500 favorites in the current 2020 NHL odds to win it all, with the Lightning (+650), Avalanche (+850), Blues (+850) and Capitals (+850) all in the mix as well. And with the league hopeful it can get back to action for the 2020 Stanley Cup Playoffs, many teams in the mix have a chance if they can quickly get back into rhythm.

2020 Stanley Cup odds

Vegas Golden Knights +500
Boston Bruins +550
Tampa Bay Lightning +650
Colorado Avalanche +850
St. Louis Blues +850
Washington Capitals +850
Philadelphia Flyers +1200
Pittsburgh Penguins +1200
Toronto Maple Leafs +1600
Edmonton Oilers +1800
Dallas Stars +2000
Nashville Predators +2200
Calgary Flames +3500
Vancouver Canucks +3500
Carolina Hurricanes +5000
Minnesota Wild +5000
New York Islanders +5000
Winnipeg Jets +5000
Florida Panthers +7000

NHL odds 2020: Stanley Cup predictions, title picks, top teams to avoid from proven handicapper

With Boston and Tampa Bay having the 2nd and 3rd best Cup odds and Leafs needing to go through either/both in Atlantic Div. that points to a 1st round loss as the safe bet for your money.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
VegasInsider.com

Sports Betting News and Vegas Odds
NHL Futures Betting Odds

Odds To Win 2020 NHL Stanley Cup (TBA)
TeamAmericanFractionalDecimal
Boston Bruins+65013/27.50
Tampa Bay Lightning+65013/27.50
Colorado Avalanche+100010/111.0
Vegas Golden Knights+100010/111.0
St. Louis Blues+110011/112.0
Washington Capitals+110011/112.0
Philadelphia Flyers+130013/114.0
Pittsburgh Penguins+130013/114.0
Dallas Stars+150015/116.0
Edmonton Oilers+200020/121.0
Toronto Maple Leafs+200020/121.0
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Vegas oddsmakers like Boston/TB vs Colorado/Vegas for the 2020 Cup with the 2 X Atlantic teams with the best odds.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

I don't think there is one realistic scenario where the Leafs miss the playoffs. If anything the league is expanding to include more teams.

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
Playoff hockey of any kind would be excellent. Actually surprised Sportsnet or LEAFS TV etc haven't been playing more classic playoff games/series. I've seen some 1980's and vintage, but even some fantastic energy filled games from 5-10 years ago would be nice. Then again I don't really turn on my TV unless it's for sports so, I don't know how much theyve been playing.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I don't think there is one realistic scenario where the Leafs miss the playoffs. If anything the league is expanding to include more teams.
Because the Atlantic Division is so weak, we are guaranteed a spot if they don't play any more 'regular season' games, but if they do, Florida is only 3 points back with a game in hand.

I don't really think it likely they will go with more teams, but if they add an extra round of the weakest teams, we have a decent chance of getting through that. Unfortunately, it would mean we're already somewhat worn down when we meet Boston or whoever.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Given how small the odds are for any team winning the cup, id imagine losing the first round is the most likely option for every team in the playoffs if those are the only two options
I was referring to the Leafs specifically.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I think they shoul just shut it down. Start next year. Any finish to this season will be a joke.

If the leafs actually won it, even those that claim an SC win would be legit right now, would change their tune when the leafs won.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Because the Atlantic Division is so weak, we are guaranteed a spot if they don't play any more 'regular season' games, but if they do, Florida is only 3 points back with a game in hand.

I don't really think it likely they will go with more teams, but if they add an extra round of the weakest teams, we have a decent chance of getting through that. Unfortunately, it would mean we're already somewhat worn down when when we meet Boston or whoever.
we aren't guaranteed a spot *because* the atlantic is weak. we are top-8 in points and points percentage in the eastern conference.

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I was referring to the Leafs specifically.

But the answer would be the same for any team. You're more likely to lose the first round than win the cup.

Bolts fans found that out last season.

But at.the same.time just because the odds are low doesnt mean it isnt something to be excited about. Id rather a chance at getting passed the first round vs simply ending the playoffs outright for everyone

Reactions: Dekes For Days

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
we aren't guaranteed a spot *because* the atlantic is weak. we are top-8 in points and points percentage in the eastern conference.
Not quite. We are tied with Columbus and Carolina for eighth in points, but we are ninth by point %.

By point %, six of the top eight teams in the East are in the Metropolitan.

If we were in the Metro, we would be sixth in points, and seventh in point %. Since we're in the Atlantic, we're third either way, albeit a distant third.

Also, since we play each team in our division four times, and each team in the other division within our conference only three times, there is a very distinct advantage to being in the much weaker Atlantic.

Last edited:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
If playoffs starts and Leafs win. That’s a Cup win in the books. It’s like the team that won in the shorten season, can’t say they are not Cup winner like other teams.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
But the answer would be the same for any team. You're more likely to lose the first round than win the cup.

Bolts fans found that out last season.

But at.the same.time just because the odds are low doesnt mean it isnt something to be excited about. Id rather a chance at getting passed the first round vs simply ending the playoffs outright for everyone
:laugh: We’ll mark you down as undecided

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Not quite. We are tied with Columbus and Carolina for eighth in points, but we are ninth by point %.

By point %, six of the top eight teams in the East are in the Metropolitan.

If we were in the Metro, we would be sixth in points, and seventh in point %. Since we're in the Atlantic, we're third either way, albeit a distant third.

Also, since we play each team in our division four times, and each team in the other division within our conference only three times, there is a very distinct advantage to being in the much weaker Atlantic.
We are tied for 8th in point percentage in the conference. We hold the tiebreaker over Columbus because we have more regulation wins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad