Do you even want the playoffs or stanley cup awarded this year for the Leafs?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Some of you weren’t around in 92 and 93 when the Jays won and the buzz around the team and the city and country was incredible. The last run they were on was fun too but they didn’t get to the World Series.
If the Leafs were to go on a run it would be cruel not to have the fans involved.
Was in the stands when Carter hit the Home Run. Looking back I wish I hadn’t drank so much. I was 29 at the time, more Testosterone than Brains.

Reactions: Nineteen67

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I also think need to get passed thrbidea of changing to how the league runs things.

The league constantly changes on ice rules, it changes the way teams make the playoffs, even the number of teams in the league changes.

Teams that won after they ditched the teo line pass arent any less feserving because they did ap under different cirumstances. Even if they change it to a best of 5 series, as long as all playoff teams face the same circumstances theres no big deal from me...
Where it gets tainted, imo, is choosing which teams get to participate and where, when and how the games are played.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Who wouldn't? The Hawks played a way shorter season when they embarrassed the Bruins in 2013, and nobody acts like that Cup win wasn't legit.

Reactions: Menzinger

nonikhanna

Feb 9, 2011
Maple Tree
Win is a win. It's going to be the same route to the cup for everybody. Might even be more difficult this time. No home team advantage of the crowds. Most injured players would be back on their teams. This could be the best and the toughest playoffs ever.

Edit: I don't care if I watch it on a laptop screen or the big screen. As long as the Leafs are playing and winning, That's all I care about.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Personally don’t see the point of forcing the playoffs. It’s a crap shoot after a 2 month or more lay-off. It will be tainted anyway you look at it

Reactions: CincoHolio

Jun 27, 2005
I personally am a huge leaf fan and honestly I dont want the playoffs or cup awarded this year....especially to the leafs. Would it feel as good as it should? How would our celebration look? Can we even go to bars to watch the games? Can we party downtown if we win?

When we win, it needs to be big. I dont want this COVID thing to be stopping up from celebrating or even feeling like it was earned. These weird playoffs formats and all. Doughty was right in my opinion. It wont be the same for who wins this year.

Cancel the season and start fresh next year. Just my opinion. What do you guys think?

There have been a few cup that are tarnished. For example any cup that the Pens won with Crosby is totally tarnished due to the draft where he was picked. The Carolina cup after the 2005 lockout is a disaster as is the 2012/2013 Hawks cup in the shortened season. These are the most recent. Winning this season would be horribly tarnished as it should. These sorts of wins shouldn't even count.

Reactions: Nineteen67

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
If Andersen returns in October form, we do not have to worry about being mad about a cup victory with asterisks.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I've been a fan of this team for decades. I'd take it, and worry about the internet arguments over asterisks later.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
It wouldn't matter to me as long as it's not a watered-down playoff format. A champion should have to go through four 7-game series before being crowned.

The rest isn't all that important in my eyes.

Plus, you become a lot more invested as a fan when the games are unfolding in front of your eyes with the ups and downs of a playoff run.

leburn98

Jan 28, 2013
Who cares, a win is a win. Should we put an asterisk beside the Raptors' championship because they beat a depleted Warriors squad? What about the Championship won during war times? The Leafs won two Cups during WWII, should we exclude those? It could also be argued that the Leafs, who won three straight Cups from 1947-49, did so as their team was the most suited after the War due to their young talent and the ease at which they could get back into NHL form.

The reality is, it doesn't matter how or why the Leafs win, there will always be 30 other teams who will try to claim how the Cup win wasn't legitimate.

Reactions: Menzinger

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
Some of you weren’t around in 92 and 93 when the Jays won and the buzz around the team and the city and country was incredible. The last run they were on was fun too but they didn’t get to the World Series.
If the Leafs were to go on a run it would be cruel not to have the fans involved.

I'm confused by this statement. Why do we need to look all the way back to '93 to illustrate what the buzz was like in the city surrounding a championship caliber team? Unless you live under a rock or recently moved to Toronto, everyone on this board should at least have an inkling of what that buzz feels like.

I agree with wanting to have the fans involved.

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
Personally don’t see the point of forcing the playoffs. It’s a crap shoot after a 2 month or more lay-off. It will be tainted anyway you look at it

Exactly. I'd be happy if we won but it 100% would be a diluted championship win and feeling. There is no continuity leading up to the playoffs if they jump right in. It's basically a brand new season. No carried over story lines from the regular season. Any animosity built up between teams would have died down by now. It would simply feel different.

Now having said all that, most players should be fully healthy. In some ways this might be one of the better playoffs we will see from a competitive standpoint. So if anything would be redeeming of the validity of winning this year, it should be that fact.

I do feel for the goalies though, not being to able to have any sort of rhythm going into the playoffs.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Who cares, a win is a win. Should we put an asterisk beside the Raptors' championship because they beat a depleted Warriors squad? What about the Championship won during war times? The Leafs won two Cups during WWII, should we exclude those? It could also be argued that the Leafs, who won three straight Cups from 1947-49, did so as their team was the most suited after the War due to their young talent and the ease at which they could get back into NHL form.

The reality is, it doesn't matter how or why the Leafs win, there will always be 30 other teams who will try to claim how the Cup win wasn't legitimate.

Yea, happens every time they win, damn those other teams. :whaaa?:

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
You wouldn't wanna win the Cup this year because of the virus? Covid isn't the only virus. Hockeysnobbery19-20 is spreading. Apparently rapidly. Good thing it isn't lethal.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
Winning the cup this year with an asterisk in the heads of many hockey fans around the world is probably the Leafiest thing ever.

Let's do it.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I'm confused by this statement. Why do we need to look all the way back to '93 to illustrate what the buzz was like in the city surrounding a championship caliber team? Unless you live under a rock or recently moved to Toronto, everyone on this board should at least have an inkling of what that buzz feels like.

I agree with wanting to have the fans involved.
In 15 and 16 they never made the WS which is much different.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I personally am a huge leaf fan and honestly I dont want the playoffs or cup awarded this year....especially to the leafs. Would it feel as good as it should? How would our celebration look? Can we even go to bars to watch the games? Can we party downtown if we win?

When we win, it needs to be big. I dont want this COVID thing to be stopping up from celebrating or even feeling like it was earned. These weird playoffs formats and all. Doughty was right in my opinion. It wont be the same for who wins this year.

Cancel the season and start fresh next year. Just my opinion. What do you guys think?

Have them don't have them not exactly critical to society.

It would be ironic, if they won the Cup and nobody was there ... and in 50 years some could say:
"I saw the Leafs win the Cup without fans. Prior to that year they had big arenas with thousands of people all gathered together, shoulder to shoulder." as they talk to their wide eyed grandchildren.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad