Do you even want the playoffs or stanley cup awarded this year for the Leafs?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Winning this year would be "legit" but not as satisfying as it normally would be for sure.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
TSN Excerpt:
This is why I like our chances ... true leadership here folks.

While keeping his family safe and staying on top of league news is front of mind, the native of Ayr, Ont., has something else to worry about — a contract beyond this season.
And like other pending unrestricted free agents, he's in the unenviable position of not knowing what the league's finances or the salary cap will look like in 2020-21.
"That's not my focus," said Clifford, who signed a five-year, US$8-million deal with L.A. in 2015. "My focus is to be ready to play and compete for a Stanley Cup when we do get back playing.
"The rest of it will take care of itself."
He's just hoping this iteration of the Leafs gets an opportunity to finish what they started.
"We have a young team and they're hungry," Clifford said. "They want it, and they want it for the city of Toronto bad. It's been 50 some years since they've won.
"I don't think there'd be any greater feeling than to take (the Cup) down those streets in Toronto for a parade."

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
It wouldn't matter to me as long as it's not a watered-down playoff format. A champion should have to go through four 7-game series before being crowned.

The rest isn't all that important in my eyes.

Plus, you become a lot more invested as a fan when the games are unfolding in front of your eyes with the ups and downs of a playoff run.

So, if the NHL BoG voted to change to a new playoff format where only 8 teams made the playoffs and they played two rounds with 5 game series and the final as a 7 game series, you would consider all winners from that point on to not be true champions?

Reactions: The Apologist

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
This type of not really the playoffs playoffs have the Leafs written all over it. Then we wait 60 more years.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Would certainly love a Cup win, although it sure wouldn't be the same not being able to properly celebrate or parade it.

But right now, I do have a hard time really caring. They're not going to be starting up again for what will be roughly a 4-month layoff. The Cup won't be awarded 'til about half a year later, give or take. Yes, that would take away from it as it is a completely disjointed season.

Reactions: GoonieFace

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
It would be hilarious if they win and they can't even have a parade. Most Leafy thing ever.
Thats my point! All the build up and waiting and we cant even celebrate properly.

I can wait an extra year. When we win it needs to be unleashed and epic. Fans in the stands. Parades. Partying. Sense of leaf community together.

horner

May 22, 2007
It would be great for the country.
Line the 401 with leaf flag.
Everybody in there cars honking horns.
Driving in Toronto the same thing.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
This is our time now to shine leaf lovers! Mayne we bout our money! And the Cup! :clap: :heart: We shoin heart like nobody else right now and have the best young team. Others an't got chances against us like marchy already knew and told so.

We bout our cup and now's our time to shine. All people of the world will remember this cup season and win by us FOREVER. And always remember: Others might be jelious, but don't be alarmed. Richard Nixon — 'Always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself.'

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Whatever happens this year, it's gonna be dumb and considered an asterix season. I think some are just desperate for hockey and don't care about the quality of the product. If the NHL wasn't so desperate for the revenue, I'm sure there would be more concern about the integrity of the game.

All the talk of 24 team playoffs, minimal contact and full faceshields is plain silly.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheTotalPackage

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
If it's possible for the NHL to resume at some point? Sure. Some team has to emerge from that scenario as the winner. I imagine that victory will be a different feeling. It still won't be any less legitimate though IMO.

lovemyleafs

Jan 23, 2017
Winning this year would be "legit" but not as satisfying as it normally would be for sure.
Whatever happens this year, it's gonna be dumb and considered an asterix season. I think some are just desperate for hockey and don't care about the quality of the product. If the NHL wasn't so desperate for the revenue, I'm sure there would be more concern about the integrity of the game.

All the talk of 24 team playoffs, minimal contact and full faceshields is plain silly.

Why would it be considered an asterisk season?
With the playoffs being played at a neutral site, teams fully healthy, no sort of advantage for any team (like home ice), etc. that's as legit as a championship win gets.

Reactions: Menzinger

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Why would it be considered an asterisk season?
With the playoffs being played at a neutral site, teams fully healthy, no sort of advantage for any team (like home ice), etc. that's as legit as a championship win gets.
That’s some of the arguments for an asterisk ad it is actually easier and levels the field. IMO, the Leafs or Panthers were not going on the road and beating both TB and Boston under a normal playoff, however under these scenarios, either team could win the Cup if they make it in.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
That’s some of the arguments for an asterisk ad it is actually easier and levels the field. IMO, the Leafs or Panthers were not going on the road and beating both TB and Boston under a normal playoff, however under these scenarios, either team could win the Cup if they make it in.

Eh, anything can happen in the playoffs even during "normal" circumstances.

Id wager zero people predicted the Bolts would be swept by Columbus last year.

Personally im not convinced this new system advantages any particular team over another.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Eh, anything can happen in the playoffs even during "normal" circumstances.

Id wager zero people predicted the Bolts would be swept by Columbus last year.

Personally im not convinced this new system advantages any particular team over another.
Yes anything can happen and Columbus didnt get past TB and Boston last year and I feel the same about Florida or Toronto this year. Beating Boston with potentially four games in Boston is much different than playing at a neutral site without fans. Again the fact no team has an advantage or disadvantage is precisely why I feel there would be an asterisk.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
So, if the NHL BoG voted to change to a new playoff format where only 8 teams made the playoffs and they played two rounds with 5 game series and the final as a 7 game series, you would consider all winners from that point on to not be true champions?

I would still see them as true champions (I don't believe in putting an asterisk beside a champion's name for things they can't control). However, I would be thoroughly disappointed at where the game is heading and my opinion would remain the same.

The current format is good and hits the sweet spot. If they start reducing the games, it's just not going to be the same.

I don't mind skipping regular-season games or having no fans at the games but a watered-down playoff format would be truly unsatisfying.

Reactions: Brown Dog

Seras

Dubas supporter
Sep 1, 2015
New Westminster, BC. Canada
I cheer for the leafs to score, win or anything I can tbh so a cup anywhere/anyhow/anytime would be a thrill.

The season resuming though seems silly to me, should just start up next pre-season/season in Sept/Oct if it's safe and go from there IMO.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
No, but if one year, say on March 14 , they decided that some teams would be taken to Honolulu to play in a neutral site playoff, I’d say great, but I will not consider the winner a true champion.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Leafs roster too flawed to beat Boston or TB in a series so don't worry about winning a cup.

BUT if they managed to win then hell yeah that is our slump buster taken care of.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
In any event, it should be pretty easy to see why the league wants playoffs. TV money And possibly increased US exposure. I suspect without playoffs, the NHL will need to pay back money to Rogers and Comcast, not to mention, to sponsors. And with a big hole in their schedule due to the postponement of the Olympics, I there’s a good chance you could see NHL playoffs on NBC several nights a week.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
It would obviously be much better under normal circumstances in packed arenas and with people partying in the streets, but I would welcome playoff hockey back in any viable format, and I would be thrilled if the Leafs won the Cup this season.

Reactions: stickty111

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad