Do you consider the Quebec Nordiques to be part of the current Avalanche's history

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
It's not Gusarov. I don't believe he's employed by the Avs in anything but a part-time role, but I could be wrong. I know last time I checked he still lived in Colorado and ran a trash-hauling business.
I was thinking of him. He's still a scout isn't he?

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Mostly I don't see them as one. The only reason the Nordiques are shoehorned into the Avs history, is the historic players for the Avs who started in Quebec. It's out of respect to our greats.

But beyond that, it's two separate teams. I don't consider players who only played as Nordiques to be Avs. The Avs have their own history to celebrate. I'd consider it quite offputting for the Avs to sellout and wear Nordiques uniforms.

This is a unique example. Teams are rarely this successful immediately after they rebrand and relocate. In American sports, teams have done this several times but they're usually bad before and immediately after.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Oh yes , someone on a Québec radio station even said about this situation : Over my dead body!
Dont forget that some hardcore Nords fans are still upset about the rélocation of 1995, most of them completely stop watching hockey.

Understand. I worked for the US Govt back in the late 90's and we developed an agreement with National Resources Canada/Centre for Mapping and Earth Observation. One of their reps on our team was from Quebec City. We talked hockey and I learned he had played junior hockey but quit after getting hurt. I asked him about the NHL and I remember him telling me that his team had moved and no longer existed. I dropped the conversation thinking "that's strange, they're in Denver..."

So I finally get it. It's like if my Sabres departed for elsewhere, I would no longer be a fan of them and would likely follow a different team. And be a bit bitter about it. Esp. if they won the Cup the same year they departed....

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Born in Quebec City, been living in Montreal for 20 years now. Sticked with the Nords/Avs when they moved and stayed a die hard fan ever since. Because of my history and connection its obvious that I see them as a continuity. But I can understand Avs fan who never were Nords fan to see things differently. To me they are one and the same. One year in blue and finally heading toward success, until Van Hellemond's terrible call on Craig Wolanin/Kovalev, the next in Burgundy and winning the Cup.
I remember where I was when it happened. I was a grad student, attending my first conference, in a McMaster U. dorm watching the game with a bunch of buddies. Such an horrible call, a goal called-back after forever when Sakic scored. The fix was in, big time.

OMackDuch

Mar 18, 2014
quebec city, quebec
For me, it's part of it. My grandfather was a nordique fan, my father too. When I was young I learned hockey watching nordique\avs. AT school I was the only guy cheering for this team (not always a good thing at school haha). Since I am 13 years old, I didn't miss ONE single game. I'm 28 now.

I live in Quebec city, went 2 times in Denver to see the team live. Without the nordique, I would be a habs fan like everyone in Québec.

Reactions: Foxtail

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
I remember where I was when it happened. I was a grad student, attending my first conference, in a McMaster U. dorm watching the game with a bunch of buddies. Such an horrible call, a goal called-back after forever when Sakic scored. The fix was in, big time.
I remember this exactly was definitely a fix for the Rangers. They tried to say the puck went through the net. :facepalm: The Avs should have won the series and possibly a Cup that year.

After the Landy call this past season maybe history repeats itself and they win this year.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
We need to add another... apparently somebody put off retirement for another year. :nod:

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
Yes, no doubt about it.

But please no throwback jersey with the Nordiques jersey.

Totally different story from the Whalers / Canes.

yeaher

May 3, 2019
Sakic and Foote definitely only played for one organization, so it's pretty interesting in that sense, because the 95 team has a lot of guys who won in 96. But I don't like it when TSN or something lists Michel Goulet or Peter Stastny in the Avs franchise records. I don't think the Nords' franchise records are Avs franchise records. I also don't like it when it's sometimes brought up that the Avs should do some kind of retro night in Montreal or whatever, or play up the Nords logo cause "it's a classic". Thankfully they haven't. But I'll let the Quebec people tell us what they think.

Forsberg won the Calder in Quebec.

yeaher

May 3, 2019
Naw, don’t retire those numbers. Hopefully someday the Nords will make a triumphant return and they can honor those players. Maybe Sakic’s 19 gets retired in addition, I don’t know.

If Stastny’s number had stayed retired his son wouldn’t have been able to wear it when he played for the Avs.

A player's number is retired in their honor; they have the right to bring it down from the rafters if so they choose. I'd do it for my son.

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
There's been talk of the Avs donning Nords jerseys. I'm against that--if anything the Avs should don the original Colorado Rockies jerseys.

Disagreed. Not saying Avs should play in Nordiques gear, but if there is connection to any other organization, its the Nords, not Rockies.

Reactions: Foxtail

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Disagreed. Not saying Avs should play in Nordiques gear, but if there is connection to any other organization, its the Nords, not Rockies.

It would still make far more sense for them to don jerseys worn by the previous Denver hockey team than a franchise that played literally 2000 miles away. The organization may have ties to the Nords, the fans do not.

And they've already tacitly acknowledged a connection with their current third jerseys. What did you think that mountain logo is based off of?

Reactions: McMetal

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
It would still make far more sense for them to don jerseys worn by the previous Denver hockey team than a franchise that played literally 2000 miles away. The organization may have ties to the Nords, the fans do not.

And they've already tacitly acknowledged a connection with their current third jerseys. What did you think that mountain logo is based off of?
The Laurentian Mountains?

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia

The fans in Denver are however not the only ones to cheer for the Avs, there are many worldwide, some of them originally Nords fans who remained fans of the team even after its relocation. Because they liked Sakic, Forsberg, etc....so you see its not quite true that “fans do not”. Some of them do, and they dont have to be necessarily located in Quebec either.

And yeah, the third jerseys and the ripped-off Rockies logo has been a mistake, as far as i am concerned. As someone from Europe, i am not fan of this “colorado pride” trend connected to the new logo, because its partially based off state flag and whatnot. Hockey is global sport, the team has fans all around the world, the players themselves are not just from outside of Colorado, but US too...the team just happened to be located where its located, you never know, it might change in the future and it might be relocated again and its more likely the fans who stayed with it since nords days will stay with it once more, than the bunch who has currently the privilege to watch them live in Denver, but will lose interest the moment Avs are gone elsewhere or new replacement team forms up In Denver - well, naturally.

I understand there is effort to improve sales and thus the local group is targeted, who buy tickets. It does not mean though, its not disrespectful to the rest.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad