Do you consider the Quebec Nordiques to be part of the current Avalanche's history

CrazyLeijona

Aug 3, 2019
Just wanted to hear some thoughts on this as I was not really sure as with sometimes with sports teams relocating to another city the histories are kept separate from the new team and are treated as two separate entities. I wanted to know if this was the case for the Avalanche or not

For example did Joe Sakic spend his whole career with one team even though it is technically the Nordiques and the Avs but is the same franchise or should I treat it as such that they are two separate teams?

Are these franchises intertwined closely or are they considered very separate from each other despite being the same franchise because this is the case with some teams?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I'd say yes, due to the fact that Colorado winning it all in their inaugural season had so much to do with what happened with the Nordiques and all their years of suffering. Aside from the Roy trade that put them over the top, all of the moves that led to that cup were made by the Nordiques, I don't think it's fair to consider the Avs a "new" team when it was built in Quebec.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Sakic and Foote definitely only played for one organization, so it's pretty interesting in that sense, because the 95 team has a lot of guys who won in 96. But I don't like it when TSN or something lists Michel Goulet or Peter Stastny in the Avs franchise records. I don't think the Nords' franchise records are Avs franchise records. I also don't like it when it's sometimes brought up that the Avs should do some kind of retro night in Montreal or whatever, or play up the Nords logo cause "it's a classic". Thankfully they haven't. But I'll let the Quebec people tell us what they think.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
The Avs organization certainly considers the Nordiques to be a major component of franchise history.

I would love to see the Avs wear Nordiques uni's for a game or two like Carolina did this past season with their old Hartford uni's..

Some if it is nostalgia. But both Whaler and Nordique sweaters were classic designs and looks.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Sakic and Foote definitely only played for one organization, so it's pretty interesting in that sense, because the 95 team has a lot of guys who won in 96. But I don't like it when TSN or something lists Michel Goulet or Peter Stastny in the Avs franchise records. I don't think the Nords' franchise records are Avs franchise records. I also don't like it when it's sometimes brought up that the Avs should do some kind of retro night in Montreal or whatever, or play up the Nords logo cause "it's a classic". Thankfully they haven't. But I'll let the Quebec people tell us what they think.

I'd like to see it but to tell the truth there are not that many people left in Quebec that are Avs fans. Team moved 25 years ago, that's a whole generation who grew up not knowing the Nordiques. I'd say now that 80% of the city is Habs fans...maybe 5% Avs and 15% all the other teams combined.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I'd like to see it but to tell the truth there are not that many people left in Quebec that are Avs fans. Team moved 25 years ago, that's a whole generation who grew up not knowing the Nordiques. I'd say now that 80% of the city is Habs fans...maybe 5% Avs and 15% all the other teams combined.
We have at least a couple people here who have at least family ties to the Nords. But anyway, I think even just some of the older posters might have different positions on this than I do. See, I've only really known the Nords as part of that fad that made those retro NHL hats and stuff cool, like Whalers gear although no one's from Connecticut and the guy was born in 1998, and my position on that is: don't do. Also, the Nordiques logo is an elephant.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
As far as i'm concern , the idea floating arround to have a game where the Avs would wear the Nords jersey ( like the Canes did with the hartford whalers jersey) is a very bad idea. When the Nordiques left to Denver in 1995 it's the day the Nordiques died and the Avs were born.

Colorado didnt retired the Nords jersey 3-8-16-26 ? so why would the Avs acknowledge the Nords history.

Btw many hockey fans in québec would see it as an insult , if the Avs would wear the Nords jersey.

Last edited:

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
It's a very weird situation, because Nordiques players are often listed among "franchise" leaders, yet their numbers aren't retired and the players aren't honored by the Avs in any way really. At the same time, there's no denying that the 96 cup win was mostly due to the Nordiques, and players like Sakic were drafted by Quebec.

The way I see it is as two different teams. It's as if in 1995 the Avalanche became a brand new team, and the Nordiques gave them all their players and staff, then folded. It doesn't feel like the same franchise to me, and it's for the most part not treated that way by the Avalanche.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
As a fan I consider the them part of the franchise, and I believe Stastny and Goulet should be hanging in the rafters.

From a “franchise” perspective, I do not believe the Colorado Avalanche recognize the Nordiques at all. Its honestly pretty pathetic but unfortunately it seems to be the norm of franchise that have relocated.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
I couldn't disagree more.

Also, not Tremblay and Tardif?
Off topic but since you mentioned the name Tremblay, my dad took me to Quebec for a few games during Sakic's rookie season and 1 game we had tickets by the Habs bench and Mario Tremblay wasn't getting much icetime
What an asshole and the mouth on him was despicable. Never forget that asshole

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Very much so. Joe Sakic and the Lindros trade have both had huge effects long term on this franchise and it’s direction and both started out nordiques

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Off topic but since you mentioned the name Tremblay, my dad took me to Quebec for a few games during Sakic's rookie season and 1 game we had tickets by the Habs bench and Mario Tremblay wasn't getting much icetime
What an ******* and the mouth on him was despicable. Never forget that *******

And he hasn’t shut it since

Reactions: Foxtail

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Naw, don’t retire those numbers. Hopefully someday the Nords will make a triumphant return and they can honor those players. Maybe Sakic’s 19 gets retired in addition, I don’t know.

If Stastny’s number had stayed retired his son wouldn’t have been able to wear it when he played for the Avs.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
In my mind, it’s the same franchise, but 2 totally different teams with different legacies.

Pistache

Mar 25, 2009
No doubt about it. I am the biggest fan of this organisation since 1977 when they were in the AMH. I am from Quebec City but moved in France in 2000. So the Nordiques/ AVS organisation in Denver or Quebec City it’s the same for me. I use internet to follow them and registered to this site in 2001 to help me follow them with big fans like you guys. So does not mater if its the Nordiques or the Avalanche, I love them like the first day I saw them play, in 1977.

Shrink101

Jun 30, 2019
Montreal
Another nordiques fan here. Originally from Trois-Rivières, Quebec, now Montreal. For those wondering, the province of Quebec has 2 major cities, Montreal and Quebec. When I was a kid (now 32), the team you rooted for was basically the closest team to your hometown, with obvious dad-veto. I did not know any kid who rooted for another team. Today, I would say it's something like 85% Habs, 6% Avs, 3% Bruins and then some Sens/Leafs + bandwagoning Hawks the last few years. Back OP's question. They obviously are a part of the Avs history. As others have pointed out, the cup winning team was built here. However, I hope they let the past be the past. I don't want to see the nords jersey. It's a beautiful piece of nostalgia, but it has no business on the back on guys who were barely born when the nordiques were part of the league. The franchise was relocated to Denver in May 1995. Nathan MacKinnon was born 4 months later. Call me old school, but I just don't wanna see it. Seeing Sakic, Forsberg and Foote wear it in 2002 was beautiful, but those days are long gone. Long live the Colorado Avalanche.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
They could wear the Nords jersey if they would have acknowledged the Nords heritage from the get go. If they do it now it would be a despicable cash grab.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad