Do you consider the Quebec Nordiques to be part of the current Avalanche's history

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It is a bit of both for me... obviously the Quebec years played into what became the Avs' powerhouse in the late 90s early 2000s. I think it is pretty easy to see those teams as a direct result of Quebec. As we get further and further away, those ties are pretty much dried up. Sakic and one other (points if you can name) are the lone ties to Quebec. At this point the Avs have nearly 25 years of their own history. As we get to 40-50 (if they don't end up relocating), the ties to Quebec will start to only be on paper from long ago. So... long winded to say, meh I don't know. I'm conflicted.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It is a bit of both for me... obviously the Quebec years played into what became the Avs' powerhouse in the late 90s early 2000s. I think it is pretty easy to see those teams as a direct result of Quebec. As we get further and further away, those ties are pretty much dried up. Sakic and one other (points if you can name) are the lone ties to Quebec. At this point the Avs have nearly 25 years of their own history. As we get to 40-50 (if they don't end up relocating), the ties to Quebec will start to only be on paper from long ago. So... long winded to say, meh I don't know. I'm conflicted.

That would have to be Avs Communications Director Jean Martineau.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
As far as i'm concern , the idea floating arround to have a game where the Avs would wear the Nords jersey ( like the Canes did with the hartford whalers jersey) is a very bad idea. When the Nordiques left to Denver in 1995 it's the day the Nordiques died and the Avs were born.

Colorado didnt retired the Nords jersey 3-8-16-26 ? so why would the Avs acknowledge the Nords history.

Btw many hockey fans in québec would see it as an insult , if the Avs would wear the Nords jersey.

Didn't realize it would be insulting to some. Wouldn't want to cause that.

Not sure I understand why but I'm a romantic at heart so it's easy for me to get caught up in nostalgia.

I grew up following the Buffalo Sabres. Since 1970. I still follow them. I have vivid memories of the Quebec Nordiques as a Sabres opponent. When the Nords relocated to Denver, I thought, why did it have to be Quebec? I remember the 1st time the Sabres played the Avs in McNichols. The old Sabres/Nords rivalry was still in place. The new season ticket holders sitting next to me remarked, "these teams don't like one another". Yep. That sure was true at the time. Gradually, familiarity faded and the Avs became a western rather than eastern team. Yet the annual "pilgrimage" to Montreal each season still seems to be a big deal with the Avs franchise so I don't think the links to Quebec are completely severed.

Reactions: Foxtail

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
EDIT: Not anymore...I looked it up. Didn't realize he's been there THAT long. I'll let someone else answer.

One famous Quebec sports radio personality here (who passed away since) used to call him "Ti-Gus le Russe". It's impossible to accurately translate but the few people here who know French will understand and should find out who it is :)

TBH I initially thought about Martineau too.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 24, 2017
Sakic and Foote definitely only played for one organization

Either you or I are missing something here.
9CE7925F-892E-44A0-8682-3A7B5E5D7C6B.jpeg

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
One famous Quebec sports radio personality here (who passed away since) used to call him "Ti-Gus le Russe". It's impossible to accurately translate but the few people here who know French will understand and should find out who it is :)

TBH I initially thought about Martineau too.

[MOD]
Gusarov? What does he do for the Avs? Russian scout?

Last edited by a moderator:

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Didn't realize it would be insulting to some. Wouldn't want to cause that.

Not sure I understand why but I'm a romantic at heart so it's easy for me to get caught up in nostalgia.

I grew up following the Buffalo Sabres. Since 1970. I still follow them. I have vivid memories of the Quebec Nordiques as a Sabres opponent. When the Nords relocated to Denver, I thought, why did it have to be Quebec? I remember the 1st time the Sabres played the Avs in McNichols. The old Sabres/Nords rivalry was still in place. The new season ticket holders sitting next to me remarked, "these teams don't like one another". Yep. That sure was true at the time. Gradually, familiarity faded and the Avs became a western rather than eastern team. Yet the annual "pilgrimage" to Montreal each season still seems to be a big deal with the Avs franchise so I don't think the links to Quebec are completely severed.

Oh yes , someone on a Québec radio station even said about this situation : Over my dead body!
Dont forget that some hardcore Nords fans are still upset about the rélocation of 1995, most of them completely stop watching hockey.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Oh yes , someone on a Québec radio station even said about this situation : Over my dead body!
Dont forget that some hardcore Nords fans are still upset about the rélocation of 1995, most of them completely stop watching hockey.
Yeah true and some if us old Nords fans still wish the Avs would move back to Quebec

Posi76

Feb 13, 2017
Having grown up with the Nordiques, but not living in Quebec, I feel that stats wise, Nords stats should be included in franchise records as the team simply moved and many players put up points wearing both jerseys. Should we remove Sakic's Nords points when discussing franchise records? From a heritage point of view, if they did not wear an Avalanche jersey, I don't think it should be up in the rafters. It's the same franchise, but with two separate brands. We just have to separate the franchise stuff from the brand stuff. But that's just my two cents. Enjoy the team however you like. I'm just excited about the future and not so much concerned with the past anymore now that the future looks so bright I have to wear shades again! :thumbu:

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
Born in Quebec City, been living in Montreal for 20 years now. Sticked with the Nords/Avs when they moved and stayed a die hard fan ever since. Because of my history and connection its obvious that I see them as a continuity. But I can understand Avs fan who never were Nords fan to see things differently. To me they are one and the same. One year in blue and finally heading toward success, until Van Hellemond's terrible call on Craig Wolanin/Kovalev, the next in Burgundy and winning the Cup.

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
If you exclude the Nords from the "Avs franchise records", you'll end-up diluting guys like Sakic, Forsberg, Kamensky, Deadmarsh, Steven Finn who earned some of their points in the Nords uniform. You can't count the ones who played for both teams but not those who played only for the Nords (like the Stastny), etc...

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
The parts that overlap like Sakic's career and the Lindros trade.

If there were ever a team to go back to Quebec, I'd want them to have the old logo and consider the seasons in Quebec part of their history.

The same goes for the Jets.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Gusarov? What does he do for the Avs? Russian scout?

It's not Gusarov. I don't believe he's employed by the Avs in anything but a part-time role, but I could be wrong. I know last time I checked he still lived in Colorado and ran a trash-hauling business.

Guess I'll drop another hint--you see him almost every time the Avs play. He doesn't have a helmet, but he does have a dome.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
It's not Gusarov. I don't believe he's employed by the Avs in anything but a part-time role, but I could be wrong. I know last time I checked he still lived in Colorado and ran a trash-hauling business.

Guess I'll drop another hint--you see him almost every time the Avs play. He doesn't have a helmet, but he does have a dome.

The medical trainer? Sakolowski?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad