Do you believe this team on paper is capable of winning the stanley cup?

Do you honestly believe on paper this team is a cup winning team?

• Yes

Votes: 41 19.0%
  • No

Votes: 127 58.8%
  • One...maybeeee two tweaks and then yes

Votes: 36 16.7%
  • I always knew this team was a dumpster fire

Votes: 12 5.6%

• Total voters

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Simple for me. A broken franchise should have a management team in place that can right the ship in 3 years and make them reasonably competitive in 5 years.
But they got rid of an experienced management team that both righted the ship and made them reasonably competitive in 3 years in favor of a completely inexperienced one, that has does little more than maintain the status quo.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
No. One of the most flawed teams in the NHL. You simply don't win in the modern game without a 1D and at least decent goaltending. There's no grit on the back end either. They're mobile, but they can get grinded in a 7 game series. Rielly isn't a 1D but he's paid in that realm. Realistically he's more of a 2D who plays second fiddle to an actual 1D. If he was beside a guy like McAvoy or Slavin then this team would be much better off. The money spent on Tavares was also a complete waste and set this team back years.
Though i agree Tavares contract set us bac a bit pittsburgh won without a number 1 d I believe letang was injured that year so it’s still very much possible as long as sandin continues to trend the way he is and lily takes a bigger step

• Haha
Reactions: Habz4Evr

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Getting knocked out of the first round again, is showing up?
If you think every team that lost in the 1st round didn't show up, that's fine. It's too simplistic for me though and I suspect it's too simplistic for 99.99% of people who are capable of rational thought.

Enga Olly

May 26, 2021
But they got rid of an experienced management team that both righted the ship and made them reasonably competitive in 3 years in favor of a completely inexperienced one, that has does little more than maintain the status quo.
And I wasn't clamoring for that change but this is what we have right now and I think the on ice product is way better than anything Nonis, Burke or JFJ would have ever put together. Better than Lou? I don't know but Lou is gone and KD is what we have. And really I don't think Lou has been working miracles over on the island.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
I think we’re capable if the right players get hot at the right time.

That said, so are a lot of teams. We’re living in an era where parity is more of a reality than it’s ever been in the past which is actually exciting if you think about it.

That said, for it to be become a probability or for me to consider us a true favorite, we need to make some tweaks.

Reactions: binop7

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
No. One of the most flawed teams in the NHL. You simply don't win in the modern game without a 1D and at least decent goaltending. There's no grit on the back end either. They're mobile, but they can get grinded in a 7 game series. Rielly isn't a 1D but he's paid in that realm. Realistically he's more of a 2D who plays second fiddle to an actual 1D. If he was beside a guy like McAvoy or Slavin then this team would be much better off. The money spent on Tavares was also a complete waste and set this team back years.
It's this kind of hyperbole that keeps me entertained on a Friday afternoon. Rock on dude! :laugh::laugh:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
So Flames and oilers are out of cup contention? (I like Flames D a lot, great depth). Truth be told, we've seen many mediocre teams going on runs the past few years that were very flawed.
Yep neither of those teams can play with a healthy Avs, Vegas, Tampa or Carolina in a playoff series. Sure they may win a game or two in playoffs yes but that's it. Flames do have some depth at D but i am talking ride by back difference makers who decide games.

GlassesManbad

Oct 14, 2022
Yep neither of those teams can play with a healthy Avs, Vegas, Tampa or Carolina in a playoff series. Sure they may win a game or two in playoffs yes but that's it. Flames do have some depth at D but i am talking ride by back difference makers who decide games.
I dunno, I really like that Flames team. I also don't think Tampa or Colorado are as good as last year. Also, you are vastly overrating Vegas due to their hot start. Not convinced the depth is there and we'll see if goaltending holds up. Also, Pietrangelo a #1 D? Nah, hasn't played like it for awhile. Leafs are better easily.

I look at the mess that is the NY Islanders roster right now and I'm not so sure that 80 year-old GM was the answer. So many aging/declining forwards with far too many years and in cap hell. It's going to take a long time to fix that.

Also, Dubas was here before Lou.

Last edited:

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
There's less than a 5% chance the Leafs win a cup with this roster as is. Too small, too slow, not physical enough, not willing to stand up for each other, too many passengers.

They'll make the playoffs comfortably but they'll be in tough to get past the first round.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
In my mind we need to upgrade Holl. If Muzzin is done we need to apply that space to a right handed version of Muzzin 😀. We probably need another goalie. Let's see what Robertson is. Maybe we could look at upgrading Bunting. So much depends on Muzzins cap hit.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
A few things about the cup. You need luck and no real injuries. Is this team there right now? No! Add Knies and a good trade, maybe Semi's. It's a start.

Enga Olly

May 26, 2021
I don't know how or why some on here are so led by the Toronto media in the last few years to actually believe the Leafs have had a legitimate chance of going all the way.
It boggles the mind how so many are so easily convinced of the impossible.

Who exactly in the media, predicts and repeatedly says the Leafs are going all the way? I mean they may casually say once they could go far in the PO but do they really say "the Leafs are going all the way this year". Please name names, provide links because I just don't see or hear it. Are you making things up like so many people here at HF do? I'm seeing more and more people post completely made up garbage just to further their petty hates and prejudices. Are you one of those people or do you have receipts?

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
The fact that Benn was allowed to walk out of the ACC without a broken nose is pathetic. Matthews was abused worse than our rights and freedoms during the pandemic and no one did a thing..it's so sad watching out generational player get ragdolled time and time again with nothing but empty words from the side of our team. These phonies should be going to war for this guy cuz none of them stand a chance without him

• Love
Reactions: Uncus13

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
Not to mention Seguin's dirty smirk during the intermission interview, he's like "it always feels great to win in Toronto". our team needed to make him feel the hospital after that. What a pathetic bunch of selfish little boys this team has become

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
It's this kind of hyperbole that keeps me entertained on a Friday afternoon. Rock on dude! :laugh::laugh:

It really is not hyperbole. Flawed may have been extra but to think this team is well constructed top to bottom is ludicrous. Just about as ludicrous as being hopeful every year expecting them to actually make it past the first round. They have top offensive talent in the league and okay defensive depth with question marks surrounding goaltending and their captain is doubly overpaid for what he brings night in and night out with no true number 1 D that can eat big minutes in the playoffs. It is a FLAWED team by definition when you see what actually wins in the playoffs consistently year in and year out. And no, a run like Pittsburgh's is not an argument against that, as it was an outlier. Toronto is fun to watch in the regular season because they can score a lot. But it doesn't take a degree in hockey fundamentals to see the team has a compete level problem, is top heavy and is lacking on the back end compared to real contenders.

Reactions: Uncus13

Uncus13

Sep 11, 2017
At this time ... the leafs do not have a true number-one dman. Reilly is a rover at best but a horrible defender. There isn't very much physicality from him and his shot is female-league-weak.
Sandin and Lilly may be very good supporting dmen in the future but we will never know because Keefe can't keep his hands off them to give them more time to develop.
Keefe is the number 1 reason this team is not succeeding, with Dubas being the number 2 reason.
The Leafs defense isn't nearly as bad as many suggest, but there is a real need for a true number-one dman to support the team.
I would seriously consider looking at trades for a number one dman with Muzzin maybe being good as gone (for his health ... The effects of concussion-induced fog and dizziness aren't worth the risk of coming back.. I love Muzzin).
If it costs a Nylander or Marner as part of the package then so be it.
Finally for Tara Sloan ... what the f*** have you done for hockey you POS! Cherry got to the top, fighting to his knees for the sport he loves. Tara ... hmmm not so much. She got to her knees but we won't go any further. jmho

Uncus13

Sep 11, 2017
Question, if we are going into a financial backspin for a while wouldn't it be prudent to try and unload the payroll for dollar on the dollar instead of having to get pennies on the dollar? If a recession is happening in the next couple of years, it will affect the costs and payrolls of teams. No matter how it is sliced the NHL will suffer too, and so will the players because the money won't go up but down ... (I know Daly and Bettman said it will go up but I can only see the LT ramifications of the financial instabilities of the present reversing this thought process and maybe going down).
Is it smart to maybe see if Seattle or San Jose would give up a couple of firsts for either Marner or Nylander? With the possibility of capturing the first this coming off-season and or next? Save us money, amazing talent picks, and the space to shore up areas of concern without having the mathematical gymnastics the leafs seem to like to employ to make their pursuits even more dramatic for the press. The Leafs will still make the playoffs with either of these two gone. Bring in a new coach who stresses defensive responsibility (I wonder if there is anyone who fits the bill?), playing with strength, and a proactive mentality, not a continuous reactive mentality. jmho

Uncus13

Sep 11, 2017
"Pietrangelo a #1 D? Nah, hasn't played like that for awhile"

Seriously. And the leafs have Reilly as their number one dman and you are ok with that??? OMG!

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
The game has changed, so I my thoughts may be irrelevant. Taking the redline out was a terrible mistake. I miss the hitting, the grinding.

It just seems so simple to me that we have an abundance of top 6 talent and everything else is average at best. Seems like a no brainer to trade one of the big guns for a goalie, and couple stay at home defencemen who will punish players for going anywhere near the net.

Maybe a deal like this isn't able to be made anymore due to the cap.

Ive never seen the Leafs so close and yet so far in my life.

Every year we pay our big guns top whack and fill out the rest of the roster with leftover free agents for league min.

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
If you think every team that lost in the 1st round didn't show up, that's fine. It's too simplistic for me though and I suspect it's too simplistic for 99.99% of people who are capable of rational thought.

Except that we didn't show up in the first round for 2 years in a row against very beatable competition.

Then decided to do the same for 2/7 games last year. We could have choked them out in 5.

It's not hard to show up for 7 games. We played 2 great games 3 good ones bombed for 2. You can't do that in the playoffs

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Outside of Leafs’ fans, who thinks this is a Cup contending team? Most of the former player analysts in the media that I’ve heard don’t believe they are.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Yes.

Most of the the teams that have eliminated this group of players went on to the final or won the Cup.

As disheartening as last year was, losing to Tampa in 7 isn't a slight.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
The fact that Benn was allowed to walk out of the ACC without a broken nose is pathetic. Matthews was abused worse than our rights and freedoms during the pandemic and no one did a thing..it's so sad watching out generational player get ragdolled time and time again with nothing but empty words from the side of our team. These phonies should be going to war for this guy cuz none of them stand a chance without him

no one did a thing, including Matthews.

he needs to stop being a bitch himself.

Outside of Leafs’ fans, who thinks this is a Cup contending team? Most of the former player analysts in the media that I’ve heard don’t believe they are.
only delusional leaf fans (which there are a lot of) think this is a Cup winning team.

Reactions: Al14 and ToneDog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad