Post-Game Talk: Do you believe in miracles!? Canucks hold a 2-1 lead and win against the Blues!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Thinking about it now, it took a well rested Canucks on home ice, and a team playing 3 games on 4 nights back-to-back for us to barely hold the lead and lack making huge saves in the last minute to win...Didn't even have a chance to go for the empty netter.

I can only imagine how they felt then the last time we beat them which was back to back games for us at the end of a huge road trip while they had 6-7 days off, and we won in ot.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Torts give really good pressers. What did AV really say during his pressers? Short and without content. Tortorella actually talk about tactics, issues and countermeasures. He really give you much interesting things to learn from and think about.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Torts give really good pressers. What did AV really say during his pressers? Short and without content. Tortorella actually talk about tactics, issues and countermeasures. He really give you much interesting things to learn from and think about.

Mindset is one key word that he has repeated often this year and something I suspect we'll keep hearing throughout the year. Love how he has handled this group so far.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER

His interactions with the press are a revelation and it's fascinating to watch. He was not like this in NY or Tampa. I feel like he's thriving and feeding off coaching in a hockey market for the first time and it's pushing him and making him a better coach.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
His interactions with the press are a revelation and it's fascinating to watch. He was not like this in NY or Tampa. I feel like he's thriving and feeding off coaching in a hockey market for the first time and it's pushing him and making him a better coach.

Agreed. Normally I could care less about interviewing hockey players and personalities about the game, as 95% of their responses are cliches and free of personality. And yet, I don't miss a single post game interview youtube video of Torts. It's can't miss stuff.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Gawsh there's almost no negativity in here? What happened HF?! :rant:

Just wanted to throw it out there that I called 2-1 Vancouver half way through the first, so you all know who to thank!

Well thanks for this one! :yo:

Agreed. Normally I could care less about interviewing hockey players and personalities about the game, as 95% of their responses are cliches and free of personality. And yet, I don't miss a single post game interview youtube video of Torts. It's can't miss stuff.

Agreed. His interviews and post-games are something else. So refreshing.

Lundface*

Well hamhuis tanev blew it last minute against the pens...

The key was not having Kesler on to end the game. Good thing he just finished a 2 min pp with only 1:30 left

Maybe the Sedins knew what they were doing when they burnt the complete 2 min powerplay passing it around:laugh:.

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls

You're right about that, and the thing is, it's can't miss for positive reasons---the intelligent, analytical stuff, 180 degrees from the freak-show Brooksie stuff that became can't-miss on Broadway. It must be such a huge relief for a bright guy like Torts.

Wetcoaster

The key was not having Kesler on to end the game. Good thing he just finished a 2 min pp with only 1:30 left

Maybe the Sedins knew what they were doing when they burnt the complete 2 min powerplay passing it around:laugh:.
And Tortorella was asked about it during his post game presser. He laughed and said it is pretty hard to argue with the Sedins and their decision making.

"The Sedins are pretty smart."

I'm not getting in the way of them."

[NHL]534442[/NHL]

Wetcoaster

You're right about that, and the thing is, it's can't miss for positive reasons---the intelligent, analytical stuff, 180 degrees from the freak-show Brooksie stuff that became can't-miss on Broadway. It must be such a huge relief for a bright guy like Torts.
Tortorella as he has admitted was as much responsible for his relationship with the media in NY as the media members.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Not a terrific performance, but that's the sort of "outplayed by a better team" game you can handle, win or lose. It was better than the abysmal performances against the Kings and Ducks last week -- I still can't help but think there were some flu-ridden players on the Canucks for those games, given the lack of effort we saw. It was very uncharacteristic.

I think you're happy to take 2 points in a competitive if boring game against a team that had 1 regulation loss in their last 15.

Wetcoaster

Not a terrific performance, but that's the sort of "outplayed by a better team" game you can handle, win or lose. It was better than the abysmal performances against the Kings and Ducks last week -- I still can't help but think there were some flu-ridden players on the Canucks for those games, given the lack of effort we saw. It was very uncharacteristic.

I think you're happy to take 2 points in a competitive if boring game against a team that had 1 regulation loss in their last 15.
And the Blues have also been lighting up the scoreboard - holding them to 1 goal was an accomplishment.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
And the Blues have also been lighting up the scoreboard - holding them to 1 goal was an accomplishment.

Totally. 30 shots wasn't a bad result. I didn't like the Canucks offense push back, but it's hard for the team to generate a counter attack without Edler/Stanton/Burrows in the line-up. It was a strong effort, even if the Canucks were outplayed.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Tortorella as he has admitted was as much responsible for his relationship with the media in NY as the media members.

I can see why Tortorella ended up in that spot, as he seems like someone who really dislikes the questions from people who don't understand the game well. That said, I don't think anyone can argue with a straight face that Tortorella didn't handle that entire situation in a really problematic way. I think he learned a lesson in how to comport himself, and I've really enjoyed his interactions with the media in Vancouver. It's nice for people to see the bright, engaging mind that used to get papered over with silly bluster.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
I can see why Tortorella ended up in that spot, as he seems like someone who really dislikes the questions from people who don't understand the game well. That said, I don't think anyone can argue with a straight face that Tortorella didn't handle that entire situation in a really problematic way. I think he learned a lesson in how to comport himself, and I've really enjoyed his interactions with the media in Vancouver. It's nice for people to see the bright, engaging mind that used to get papered over with silly bluster.

Well, there's also the fact that in NY, hockey isn't a story unless you make it one. Just look at all the headlines that AV has managed to generate this season.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
The last minute or so I say was more lucky than well played. Tons of really bad clearing attempts by Bieksa, Garrison, and Tanev. We were lucky not to get scored on there.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Well, there's also the fact that in NY, hockey isn't a story unless you make it one. Just look at all the headlines that AV has managed to generate this season.

Yes, I agree. That's a good point. I think Tortorella learned that method in Tampa Bay, only he didn't get the pushback from grizzled reporters like Brooks. I think that's where things fell apart.

In Vancouver, where his own passion for the game is reflected everywhere in the city, I imagine it's a very different and likely positive experience for Tortorella.

yoss

May 25, 2011
My favorite part of the dying seconds was the flying shot block by Garrison. "Get that **** outta here!" Bam! Swatted that puck like it was a basketball, although in basketball that might have been goaltending and counted for 2 points.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

After all the teams we have outplayed and lost to this year I'll glady take this one.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
Loving these torts pressers ... The dude is honest to a fault
So refreshing and endearing, frankly
Makes me wonder how much AV was an impediment, really...

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

While it was only rumors. Torts really took the idea he may have lost the room in New York to heart. Perhaps it had to do with a now fractured relationship with Richards, or just everything as a whole, but it really is something. I always liked Torts, however I've gained new found respect for him since he's come aboard.

And I still cannot believe how lucky we were to dodge the Eakins bullet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad