Line Combos: Do we really have cap issues?

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Wonder if he would waive if he was told his being sat this year and his iron streak is coming to an end?

Only hope of that happening is if Dubas was coach...

My thoughts exactly. There is respect for veteran and there is respect for the team/fans

if respecting the veteran comes at the cost of respect for the team/fans then lets not respect the vet too much

however, this line of thinking is a miss in babcock's brain waives

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
My thoughts exactly. There is respect for veteran and there is respect for the team/fans

if respecting the veteran comes at the cost of respect for the team/fans then lets not respect the vet too much

however, this line of thinking is a miss in babcock's brain waives
Ask yourself why would Babs put himself out there on a limb like this with Marleau when everyone in the world can see he has succumbed to father time?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? There is a reason for everything with Babs. He is quite calculated. and it is always based on how he called things and then not looking bad on his calls. He is stubborn.

When another HOFer Modano was done in Detroit. He benched him. Why you ask? Well he pushed for Marleau and did not push for Modano. The answer is so fundamental and so easy. There is nothing missing in Bab's brainwaves at all. Think of the story of the emperors new clothes.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
At present we are estimating the Cap at 83 million but we will have to wait until the final numbers are in.

Even on 83 million, subtract 1.2 million for Kessel and start there. So we are looking at
81.8 for the team.

About a week ago, Friedman mentioned that there was some thinking that the cap may not go up as much as was initially expected. He cited the fact that the big money teams were all out of the playoffs. I first caught wind of this on the Canes board who had a tweet from Friedman iirc.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
All we can do for now is keep everyone we can and get rid of everyone we can.

Then we will see how good we are.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
All Babs would have to do is say look I made a big mistake here. I was wrong. and then work as a team to figure out how to unload Marleau. But he won't. He might even line him up again on the 3rd line next year to prove himself right. Like you said quite well it is no respect for the season ticket holders, sponsors and fans. But if you think it is a respect for Marleau I think it is more about Babs losing face.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I just calculated something in another thread that made me feel a little bit better. It's shown me that if Matthews, Nylander, and Marner all step up their games and earn the mega salaries they signed for, our cap model has been tried and tested. Here's a comparison of 2019/2020 leafs vs back to back cup winning Pens from 2015/2016.

2019/2020 Leafs:
Tavares (11 mil)
Matthews (11.6)
Marner (10.5?)
Nylander (7)
Rielly (5)
Andersen (5)
= 50.1 million
Divided by 83 mil cap
60% of cap

2015/2016 cup winning Pens
Crosby (8.7)
Malkin (9.5)
Kessel (6.8)
Hornquist (4.25)
Letang (7.25)
Fleury (5.75)
= 42.5 million
Divided by 71.4 mil cap
60% of cap

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018
If we have cap issues depends on your perspective, and if you believe addition by subtraction makes the Leafs more competitive or less competitive.

Take your current Leafs playoff roster that lost in round #1

Deduct: Gardiner, Hainsey, Kapanen, Johnsson and possibly Kadri.

Add: Rosen, Holl, Bracco, Mikheyev, Korshkov, and Petan as regulars at cheaper costs to remain salary cap compliant.

Decide if that makes the Leafs more or less Cup competitive, and if the answer is YES then Leafs 2019-20 salary cap issues are not a concern, if the answer is NO then you will likely be concerned heading into next season.
So it seems the Leafs were able to climb out of cap hell without taking any real damage.

We haven't lost any of the young quality talent that some said we would such as AJ or Kappy and have enough space to get Marner locked up. Hell we can still even improve the defence if we deal Kadri with his replacement already signed up super cheap - Spezza (albeit a necessary drop off there).

Deadweight contracts all gone and good value picked up in FA.

Team looks a strong contender and the bookies agree.

The sky doesn't fall if you trust the process.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
So it seems the Leafs were able to climb out of cap hell without taking any real damage.

We haven't lost any of the young quality talent that some said we would such as AJ or Kappy and have enough space to get Marner locked up. Hell we can still even improve the defence if we deal Kadri with his replacement already signed up super cheap - Spezza (albeit a necessary drop off there).

Nylander getting back to form would be like landing a big-name free agent for free. Matthews staying healthy would be another huge boost. And then there's the playoffs where some of our best performers didn't show up and we STILL took Boston to 7 and probably should hae won that series. I think the Leafs actually got unlucky last season and odds are that won't happen again.

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018
Nylander getting back to form would be like landing a big-name free agent for free. Matthews staying healthy would be another huge boost. And then there's the playoffs where some of our best performers didn't show up and we STILL took Boston to 7 and probably should hae won that series. I think the Leafs actually got unlucky last season and odds are that won't happen again.
Agreed and if we finally land a top 4 RD the team is much improved compared to what was iced in Game 7.

Bruins are treading water. They have 3 RFAs to sign including McAvoy and Carlo with only 12m in space so also in a cap bind. Johansson and Accairi are already gone.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

sorry but i disagree, we still have 1 dead weight contract and it's worth almost 7m cap per.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Johnsson Matthews Nylander
Hyman Tavares Marner
Moore Kerfoot Kapanen
Agostino Spezza Shore
Petan/Bracco/Engvall/Goat

Rielly Barrie
Muzzin Ceci
Dermott Harpur
Gravel

Andersen
Hutch

Very impressive

catgoldfish

Nov 15, 2004
British Columbia
Johnsson Matthews Nylander
Hyman Tavares Marner
Moore Kerfoot Kapanen
Agostino Spezza Shore
Petan/Bracco/Engvall/Goat

Rielly Barrie
Muzzin Ceci
Dermott Harpur
Gravel

Andersen
Hutch

Very impressive
Not sure if Dubas is done yet either. The last pairing of dmen won’t be starting cause Dermott is out until December. Would be nice to get another dman cheap just for some depth.

dannier13

Aug 24, 2018
I like what Dubas have done so far, but this is terryfing. All our defencemen except for Reilly have their contracts running out at the end of 2019/2020 season. Barrie and Dermott will both demand big pay raise and Muzzin will probably deserve some raise too.

azMKOZL.png

j977a6t

Barrie - 2.75M -> 8-9M
Dermott - 0.86M -> 3.5-4.5M
Muzzin - 4.0M -> 4.5-5.5M

That's a rise from 7.6M to 16-19M. There's no way we'll be able to afford them without a trade including one of our higher-paid forwards.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
I like what Dubas have done so far, but this is terryfing. All our defencemen except for Reilly have their contracts running out at the end of 2019/2020 season. Barrie and Dermott will both demand big pay raise and Muzzin will probably deserve some raise too.

azMKOZL.png

j977a6t

Barrie - 2.75M -> 8-9M

That's a rise from 7.6M to 16-19M. There's no way we'll be able to afford them without a trade including one of our higher-paid forwards.
Probably a bit high on Dermott and low on Muzzin as a ufa

horner

May 22, 2007

azMKOZL.png

j977a6t

Barrie - 2.75M -> 8-9M

There's alot of Daman on the market next yr.
I think
Barrie will sign for 7.5 mil
Jake Muzzin 5 mil
Dermot 2.5 mil

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Dermott hasn't made the case yet for a big second contract. I think Muzzin is very likely to walk. The interesting part will be whether we have enough space to manufacture an extension for Barrie. There's room for him in our long-term plans.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

azMKOZL.png

j977a6t

Barrie - 2.75M -> 8-9M

how is dermott going to get 3.5-4.5 when he is going to miss a month or 2 and get no pp time? He is probably going to be a 3rd pair 15-25 pt D.

Barrie will probably be looking at 7.5 million on a long term deal. That’s what the rumours were. He wanted 60 million to re sign with Avs.

Muzzin probably 5.5-6

If the CBA re opens this September. Then I think everyone scrambles to sign.

The leafs could give them easy lockout protection. Sign now and we will pay your lockout year in bonuses

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018

azMKOZL.png

j977a6t

Barrie - 2.75M -> 8-9M

Already people are panicking for next summer. Did you not just learn the lesson of this years exaggerated cap troubles?

We can only keep 3 experienced Dman in 2 years anyways with the expansion draft.

Will be Rielly, Dermott and then just sign 1 premier Dman long-term. Hopefully Barrie but there are lots available next summer.

Otherwise sign an old depth option next summer short term like Hainsey to expose in the draft or for 1 year.

Everyone else will be in the same boat.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
It's a good problem to have as long as it doesn't affect 5/6 of your top D in a single season.
I don't understand the angst? There is a full year to go.

Remember the angst of no cap space, and having to get rid of Marleau and Zaitsev?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad