Line Combos: Do we really have cap issues?

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Correct me if I am wrong, but how can anyone say the Leafs aren't in cap hell? We have 3.76 million left in the salary cap...and we still have Marner to sign (So add about another $7 million over the cap)....AND that would give us only 46 out of 50 contracts.
We have $5.3 in LTIR. So we actually have over $9m. And all of the contracts you see on CapFriendly will not be on the opening day roster. So you can add back another $1.4 in cap space by putting Agostino and Marincin in the minors. Which brings us up to $10.465M. If they carried only 1 extra dman, or got creative with putting players in the minors and recalling them for road games, they could drop another 1 or 2 contracts.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
We have $5.3 in LTIR. So we actually have over $9m. And all of the contracts you see on CapFriendly will not be on the opening day roster. So you can add back another $1.4 in cap space by putting Agostino and Marincin in the minors. Which brings us up to $10.465M. If they carried only 1 extra dman, or got creative with putting players in the minors and recalling them for road games, they could drop another 1 or 2 contracts.
Yes that is correct I have heard when it all boils down and you factor in Hyman and Dermott IR Leafs are expected to have around 12.4M in AAV opening night most of which will go to Mitch.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Where are all the OS????????????????????????? Seems like a ton of BS to me. I am sure now that no one wants to start a holy war with the Leafs. Holy wars often end badly for the aggressor.

Reactions: IPS

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
As of right now we can afford Marner at anything under 10.5 with a 13 f 7 d 2 g roster.

If we have to go up to 11.2 we can drop to 12 f roster.

Next year if we call up sandin and Lilly we will have a roster of about 60’million with Marner, dermott, muzzin and Barrie to sign

Thar will be probably about 24-25 million

Barrie probably gets 7-8
muzzin. Probably gets 5-6
Dermott probably gets 2-3

Depending on term Marner probably gets anywhere between 7-11

If Marner really wants 2-3 year term then I can see fitting the roster in pretty easily. If not we might lose kap or mango and bring up 1 forward. It’s not the end of the world.

We are fine as much as people don’t want to believe it
Exactly sire. We gon send those otha suckas down when the time comes and also inject the horton to the injury serve. Then we have that around 10mil. Marner is already ours, but it surely puzzles a sucka that he ain't signed yet.... don't do the long term sucka thang and tell people already that you love the city and its fans. Be the number one liked player, unlike nylander did. You already have the world in your grasp, now take the love and keep it. That's thuglife right thurr sonny milano. You ain't gots to be hated. You already have it in your grasp. Marner also has greatness in his grasp. Why would he wait the game anymore longer. A sucka can only get more hatas and not mo lovas if he's stuck at a standsill. Marna should presh tha button and take it. He already haves us and we him. And it's getting even harder. The lelove is the thang that builds cups. Not hatas. Nylander got his hatas. Is y'all surprised? I ain'ts. Marner better presh the button real hard like they did in Lost. They was really waiting on that button. Those last seasons was real bad.... the first three was aaight. Just like Marner is. See how it all comes together. We already is winning and having the space. Now rise and take it all. Why wait and get more hatas?

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
My guess is 2 out of 4 of Kadri, Johnsson, Kapanen, Brown are moved unless Marner comes in at Kucherov's price point.

I think we are going to see several new faces by choice, including a RD.

If they move Zaitsev, which I don't feel strongly about, there could be 2 new RD on the team from outside.

Haven't logged on to comment in over a year...

WOW this was bang on. Nice.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Pitt had a 7m tender and 6.8m winger ,,IIRC. Our Letang is 2m cheaper and so is our tender, so that is 4 million right there to spread around.

Fleury was at 5.75 million not 7 million. also not sure why it matters where the top 4 players are positioned the top 4 salaries are the top 4 by that logic I can turn around and say our 4th highest paid forward is 3 million more then Pittsburgh's Hornqvist at 4.25 compared to Nylander at 6.9. the poster I quoted talked about how other teams have won the cup with paying there top 4 players high numbers, when that's not really true if Marner signs for 10 million Pittsburgh's top 4 players only got as high as 43% of there total cap when they won the cup vs ours will be at 48%

and furthermore I don't believe this will stop us from being competitive. just that the claim that other teams top 4 players have been paid just as much and won the cup which I believe is false. no team so far has been able to win a cup with a double digit contract. it will happen eventually as the cap rises but as of today having a double digit player might not be beneficial, and we could have 3 of them this season. were in tough. not that I would move those players either btw it's just the nature of having great talent upfront.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
maybe. But kadri was useless last season and both kadri and gardiner were useless in the playoffs so to me it feels like a team that was a coin-flip from beating Boston just added an elite defenceman out of nowhere and also an elite winger out of nowhere with Nylander.

What can I say? I feel we need more to win and we have not nearly enough edge/ grit to win it. We are now cap strapped if we can even sign Marner. Barrie isn't exactly a defensive Dman which we need more of. To win a cup this teams needs to trade some skill to get it. How much cap do we have? Ceci may or may not be an upgrade on Zaitsev. We need some big wingers who can do some dirty work in the playoffs or our stars will get crucified. If Kadri hadn't gotten suspended maybe we win. he protected his team because we had no one else to do it.We could have seen this coming. If Marner signs an offer sheet, we have a big problem and this team steps back.We have also lost 2 firsts and keep drafting smaller guys.I don't see a cup next year with this current line up. And if we play Boston again ? Meh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad