Line Combos: Do we need to tweak our "third" line?

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Out of the blue.....

Dress 7 d-men (if Ference is a go) will also help if one of the young ones stumble

Drop Jagr to the 4th line and sit Thornton and then use Jagr on the PP and some even strength shifts. Can also double shift Horton and Seguin to fill in on the 3rd line. Use Krug primarily on the PP and on the 3rd line wing for some shifts too. With Horton/Seguin, Peverley plays center while Kelly goes to LW and with Krug, Kelly is back at center and Peverley at RW

Looch - Krejci - Horton
Marchand - Bergeron - Seguin
Kelly - Peverley- XXXX
Paille - Kelly - Jagr

Chara-Boychuck
Ference - Seids
Bartkowski - McQuaid
Krug

A Penguins fan actually suggested this last week. I shot it down, cuz I don't recall Julien ever doing this. Combine that with his affinity for trying to roll 4 lines all game (hey, it works) and I just don't see him trying the 7 D method. Not to say it's a bad idea, I just can't see it happening.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I don't know if 4 lines have ever clicked simultaneously on offense for an entire series. We need 2 lines to click and 2 to remain at least neutral game in and game out. 4 lines clicking is somewhat mythical.

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH
A Penguins fan actually suggested this last week. I shot it down, cuz I don't recall Julien ever doing this. Combine that with his affinity for trying to roll 4 lines all game (hey, it works) and I just don't see him trying the 7 D method. Not to say it's a bad idea, I just can't see it happening.

There were a couple games (maybe it was just one game?) where Hunwick dressed as a winger a couple years ago.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
Out of the blue.....

Dress 7 d-men (if Ference is a go) will also help if one of the young ones stumble

Drop Jagr to the 4th line and sit Thornton and then use Jagr on the PP and some even strength shifts. Can also double shift Horton and Seguin to fill in on the 3rd line. Use Krug primarily on the PP and on the 3rd line wing for some shifts too. With Horton/Seguin, Peverley plays center while Kelly goes to LW and with Krug, Kelly is back at center and Peverley at RW

Looch - Krejci - Horton
Marchand - Bergeron - Seguin
Kelly - Peverley- XXXX
Paille - Kelly - Jagr

Chara-Boychuck
Ference - Seids
Bartkowski - McQuaid
Krug

Hey, you stole that from me. :)

Please no one laugh, but I'm going to throw out an idea here and just see how ridiculous some of you think it might be...
If Ference gets healthy enough to be put back in the Line-up, would it be totally off the wall to try to play Krug on offense, and with that Peverley perhaps sits? Krug seems to click so well with Horton and Seguin, though I'm not suggesting that such a line should exist. Hey, it wouldn't be the first time a Defensemen plays offense, but yeh, it's really rare I know.

Again, I'm particularly talking about if Ference can get back in the line-up. Rather than sitting Bartkowski out, why not try playing Krug on the 3rd Line wing. Neither Peverley or Kelly have shown much of anything, so sit one of them (probably keep the one who best at Face-offs); I don't think Krug could do the 3rd line any harm and perhaps could give it a spark. Now, who would play the other wing on the 3rd line, that's debatable.

OT to the above: The 4th line I wouldn't touch for anything. Those 3 guys click together as well as any line on the team; I don't think there's a better 4th line in the League. But perhaps I'm wearing Black&Gold colored glasses, though it's not as if the 4th lines are the most well-known in the League.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Even then, it'll depend on how the 4th line will have played in those 2 games. The 3rd line has been the most unproductive.

Right but if you want to juggle the 3rd line, there really isn't many options available to do that, while keeping the 1st and 2nd line intact, unless you mess with the 4th line which has also been productive so it's a gamble.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
When the Bruins will close out the Penguins in 6 games, we'll look back and see that the Peverley-Kelly-Seguin line will have played a big role in it.

The 1st round was all about the Krejci line
The 2nd round we saw the emergence of the 4th line as well as some depth scoring (Krug+Boychuk)

Time for the 3rd line and for Jagr to chip in. Cause we all know the 4th line+Krug+Boychuk can't keep up their production.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
Kelly and pevs were much better late in the ranger series . Segs in fine anyone even thinking of scratching him or jags either quit watching or drink less. I think the bergy march jags line is looking great but so would segs on that line. I think segs fits better with Kelly pevs as others have said. A lot of you guys are all about points etc ---these guys have a lot of uses and do a lot so even though their play hasn't been up to par im pretty sure that replacing them at this time isn't a discussion. If their play starts going the other way it might become a discussion although I cant really picture a scenario where Kelly would be scratched though . Soderberg for the tenth time I like how the future looks with this guy but for the life of me I didn't see what he did in his time here that makes everyone think he is great right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad