Line Combos: Do we need to tweak our "third" line?

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Status quo. They have been getting better and better. I think the real problem is Julian's only option re Jagr is to play him with Marchand and Bergeron. Seguin should be on the 37/63 line but Jagr can't play with 23/49.

100% this.

Jagr has no other spot on this team unless you scratch Thornton. Recchi was the same 2 years ago. Luckily Jagr has stepped it up with Bergeron and Marchand and I think those 3 are good together.

The current third line is not that bad. It has tons of speed and 2 defensively responsible players to protect Seguin. Each game they've looked a little better. Pev or Kelly for Soderberg is something I would like to see but I can live with it no happening.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
Right now, I don't think you can insert any new forwards as they haven't played in nearly a month. Maybe juggle the lines a bit, but I'd see how the first game or so go first.

24giovanni

Aug 2, 2005
It needs more than a "tweak" but we are in the ECF so there won't be any wholesale changes.

I would move Seguin back too the Bergeron line in the Penguin series. We will need his speed. I'd like to see Bergy wearing Crosby like a suit and if we do that the wings will have to generate the offense.

What I want to see is:

17 - 46 - 18
63 - 37 - 19
20 - 49 - 68
16 - 11 - 22

We won't break up 3 lines though.

I think regardless of what happens the rest of the way changes must/will/should be made ti the third line. I think Chiarelli wants to sign Horton. He needs some money to play with though and the money is there, if he gets rid of Peverley and Kelly. They make too much money to be a complete blackhole offensively but they have been pretty terrible all year.

17 - 46 - 18
63 - 37 - 19
34 - 51 - ??
20 - 11 - 22

Sign a veteram 3rd line winger with some size and grit.

Who is #51? Someone switch numbers?

David Krejci*

Playoff Vets LOL

Lets see how these post season vets are doing right now, Hmm not good not good at all.

Kelly Post season stats

0-0-0 -6

Pev Post season stats

1-0-1 -4

It's not just about stats, if you actually watch the games there are things that are important that don't show up on the stat sheet.

Peverley and Kelly had horrible regular seasons and still had more points than Daugavins in his entire 92 game career, and they're both better skaters, defenders, and smarter players than he is.

Sods played well. The line of Jagr-Sods-Kelly worked well together.

Not really. Since you're all about points, how many points did that line put up?

Sods killed penalties, was physical, and drove hard to the net.

Peverley and Kelly both kill penalties way better than him. Soderberg is not a physical player, he's big, but he's not overly physical. Peverley and Kelly are both better at protecting the puck. If you think throwing Soderberg into play in the 3rd round against the Pittsburgh Penguins when he's never played a second of NHL playoff hockey, and has only played a week of NHL regular season games, and honestly think he brings more to the table than Kelly or Peverley, then I don't know what to tell you. I'm just glad you don't have any actual say in who plays and who doesn't.

With impressive stats like I posted above for Kelly and Pevs what do you have to lose my giving one of these guys a shot.

Seguin hasn't been putting up great stats, either. I guess we should sit him for Daugavins or Soderberg, too then? Kelly and Peverley are a million times more likely to come up with a big play or score than either of those guys, I don't care if they go 100 games without scoring prior.

Serpico4ever

Jul 4, 2010
Brighton, MA
As others have stated, just swap Seguin with Jagr and you instantly get back one of the best lines all year in hockey. As it is, there are two lines being affected negatively because of Jags being thrust onto the second line. I mean come one, he's freakin gassed all the time.

You could also sit Peverley and not miss much. Same with Kelly actually. So, put Jagr with Yeti and Dog on the third, or bring up Tardiff/Camper and play some combo of these guys on the third, just as long as the fruitless second line experiment ends. Put Seguin back where he can do some damage. The top line and Merlot are set in stone, of course.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
This is what i would do and it would balance things out more

3rd line Seguin Cambell Paille
4th line Thorty Kelly Pev

We need Pev and Kelly for pk purposes. BUt outside of this purpose, they have been crap 5 on 5. Just running out the ice, usually in our own end. Good enough defensively not to give up goals.

With thorty on the line, they get a more physical body, that can buy time for you on the offensive end. Pev/Kelly right now , need to buy a goal any way possible.

Now Campbell and Paille have been lighting it up vs Kelly and Pev.And they can give Seguin open space by their very good board play to try to do more of his thing.

It won't hurt any of the lines, if anything even things out between the third and the fourth. Worse case both line only become marginally good and the 4th line factor lowers.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I don't know guys, there are problems with switching up the third line or even putting Jagr on the third line and putting Seguin on the 2nd line. For next year, I would agree about changing the third line but now right now.

We cannot, and I repeat, cannot split up the Merlot line. That line and the Krejci line have been our best 2 lines so far in the playoffs with the 2nd line not too far behind. The Merlot line needs to stay intact because of their play.

Our 3rd line has been improving the last couple of games and their defense and speed will be useful in the next series. That third line is more effective with Seguin playing the RW rather than having Jagr play the RW. We all saw Jagr play on the third line, it was horrendous. At least with Jagr playing with Bergeron and Marchand, they are getting chances.

I understand how crappy Peverley and Kelly are playing right now, but they are needed for their defense and PK ability in this upcoming series. The only way I see Kelly or Peverley getting scratched is if they somehow collapse defensively or plainly get out skated allowing the Pens to get scoring chances.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
I don't know guys, there are problems with switching up the third line or even putting Jagr on the third line and putting Seguin on the 2nd line. For next year, I would agree about changing the third line but now right now.

We cannot, and I repeat, cannot split up the Merlot line. That line and the Krejci line have been our best 2 lines so far in the playoffs with the 2nd line not too far behind. The Merlot line needs to stay intact because of their play.

Our 3rd line has been improving the last couple of games and their defense and speed will be useful in the next series. That third line is more effective with Seguin playing the RW rather than having Jagr play the RW. We all saw Jagr play on the third line, it was horrendous. At least with Jagr playing with Bergeron and Marchand, they are getting chances.

I understand how crappy Peverley and Kelly are playing right now, but they are needed for their defense and PK ability in this upcoming series. The only way I see Kelly or Peverley getting scratched is if they somehow collapse defensively or plainly get out skated allowing the Pens to get scoring chances.

Ya, I don't advocate splitting up any of the lines, in terms of moving players up and down. I think Jagr should stay on line 2 and Seguin on line 3. But I don't see any problem in removing either Peverley or Kelly at this current point in time.

tom nuetten

Mar 24, 2011
Germany
changing jagr and seguin doesn´t solve a problem...

marchand bergeron jagr have been better lately but I don´t want to see this line (with jagr) play big minutes against an offensive team like the pens...

if you demote jagr to the 3rd line he see´s the bottom of the pens line-up more often but he destroys at the same time the strenght of pevs and kelly who live with their speed...

I would like to see some points from Jagr but I would prefer to see that he doesn´t hurt them defensively against the pens... if they don´t make the b´s pay for his defence I´m happy with his production... he is better offensively than the other options (dogman and soderberg). we´ll see if his d doesnt hurt us...

pevs and kelly weren´t great but I don´t want to see a guy with 5 nhl games who´s used to the big rink against the pens in the eastern finals..

RunFromTheBear

Jun 20, 2010
Why not have Bergeron shadow Crosby the whole game. The line matching up against him will be playing totally defensive, what's the point of having Marchand there, might as well go for the penalty kill plus one line.

Paille - Bergeron - Kelly
Lucic - Krejci - Horton
Marchand - Seguin - Jagr
Thornton - Campbell - Peverley

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
It is really too bad that we can't find a combination from that "3rd line" that gives us some scoring. I don't mind a defense first 3rd line that shadows the other teams top players, but they don't really do that either.

I wonder if it is almost better (obviously won't happen) to have Bergeron be on the 3rd line with Kelly and Marchand?

Have a more offensive line like:

Jagr - Peverley - Seguin

And a tight checking line (that might pop a goal or 2) like:

Kelly - Bergeron - Marchand

or even:

Paille - Bergeron - Marchand and move Kelly with Campbell and Thornton.

Don't want to mess with things, but I think Julien has better options that the current look.

I can't see Peverly centering a line. Not with the way he is struggling. And he's obviously not a top 2 line center either. I think right now you leave the KLH and Bergy lines alone. Leave the Merlot line alone, and see what you can do to spark the 3rd line. Perhaps they play Daugavins or Soderberg I dunno. Or maybe move Seguin over to center on the 3rd line? Merlot line is our BEST line in the playoffs. You don't mess with that.

rkwittem

May 13, 2013
Fargo, ND
I would sit Kelly for Soderberg. I am hoping a series like Pitt that might be a little more open offensively could get Pevs back on his game. There has been and likely won't be any sign of Kelly showing up offensively. Soderberg can play on the PK and brings more puck possession from the wing. Plus he's fresh.

And I hate the excuse "Soderberg is inexperienced in the playoffs." Kelly is extremely experienced and he blows. Bad.

Yeah, we're all glad that excuse wasn't used in regards to Krug or Bartkowski. I know we had injuries, just saying. Experience is overrated. Talent isn't. Kelly has done nothing offensively. So how much worse could the Yeti be?

RunFromTheBear

Jun 20, 2010
Yeah, we're all glad that excuse wasn't used in regards to Krug or Bartkowski. I know we had injuries, just saying. Experience is overrated. Talent isn't. Kelly has done nothing offensively. So how much worse could the Yeti be?

Yeti has shown a tendency to float around watching the puck a little bit after the puck is turned over. He kind of reminds me of how Jagr plays.

More gifted offensively but this is the type of stuff that seems to drive Julien nuts.

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
Status quo. They have been getting better and better. I think the real problem is Julian's only option re Jagr is to play him with Marchand and Bergeron. Seguin should be on the 37/63 line but Jagr can't play with 23/49.

Correction...Seguin has been getting better and better. Kelly and Peverly are a combined 1 G, 0 A, -10. That is simply horrible! If Soderberg can't do better than that, why the hell did they go to so much trouble to sign him?

westernhome

Sep 21, 2011
Yeti has shown a tendency to float around watching the puck a little bit after the puck is turned over. He kind of reminds me of how Jagr plays.

More gifted offensively but this is the type of stuff that seems to drive Julien nuts.

I think Soderberg looks a lot better at center than at wing

5Minutes4Fighting

Light the Lamp!
Apr 9, 2010
Northern NJ
I'd just put Seguin back with Marchand and Bergeron. If we get them going like they did in the regular season, we have 3 lines that are going good. Them and the KLH and Merlot lines.

Maybe jagr and peverly can click a little. I've read that Jagr likes to play with a right-handed C. Kelly gives them a defensive and fore-check presence. If not working, just limit their time which saves Jagr for the power-play. And, keeps Peverly and Kelly ready for the PK

^This.

Get Seguin his mojo back by putting him where he belongs. And get Jagr's aging body a little less regular time, so he doesn't wear down at the end of games. I wouldn't monkey with the roster...especially for a guy with only a few regular season games and NO playoff experience.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Why not have Bergeron shadow Crosby the whole game. The line matching up against him will be playing totally defensive, what's the point of having Marchand there, might as well go for the penalty kill plus one line.

Paille - Bergeron - Kelly
Lucic - Krejci - Horton
Marchand - Seguin - Jagr
Thornton - Campbell - Peverley

lol you're playing NHL2013 here

Kaoz*

What I don't get, Bergeron, Marchand, Seguin have been this teams biggest scoring threat 2 years running. They struggle shortly after both Marchand and Bergeron come back from injury for a dozen games and they don't hesitate to pull Segs off the line (even though the fact that he's working hard and playing well is acknowledged by the coach) and put him on the third with two other guys who are also struggling offensively and leave him there. Yet you see the Krejci/Lucic/Horton line struggle and they let them play through it to the point of wanting to pull your eyelids off and the most they'll do is separate them for a period.

They got by the Leafs on the KHL lines production. They got by the Rags with production from the 4th line and the backend. They aren't going to beat the Pens with 1 line and Torey Krug. They'll need to reunite Bergeron/Marchand/Seguin and/or make a 3rd line that works. Jagr and Soderberg had some success, and Peverley looked good in the middle.

Lucic - Krejci - Horton
Marchand - Bergeron - Seguin/Peverley
Soderberg - Peverley/Seguin - Jagr
Merlot

Still leaves you Krejci, Begeron, Pervs and Campbell as your faceoff men. Still leaves you Bergeron, Marchand, Peverley, Campbell and Paille as your key PK'ing forwards.

Hopefully gives you three lines that stand a solid chance of putting points up on the board. Pens are going to score, Boston needs to score more.

BB624

Jan 1, 2009
Boston Ma-Roslindale
I think a huge point people are missing when talking about Soderberg. Is he hasn't played a game in a month. At least with Bartkowski and Krug they were actually active and playing games.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Kelly and Peverley had the benefit of killing penalties against a horrendous NY PP. Not going to be so easy for them this time around; if they struggle and Pit has a field day on the PP, you might soon see a Dog or Yeti out there.

I give credit to Claude for limiting the 3rd line ice time. Top two lines should be logging 20 min and the bottom two should be logging 10 each, adjusted accordingly.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
I know I´m one of the few guys that think jagr should be in the press box but I think something like that would improve our line-up

lkh
marchand bergeron seguin
peverley kelly dogman
merlot

I think seguin´s game has improved the last few games and he should be back with his usual linemates..

peverley kelly dogman have all speed and a good defensiv game

I think they could get some breakaway chances and would be solid on defence... jagr is a defensive liability (and was from day one), now against a great offensive opponent, I don´t want to see him play big minutes against their first or second line...

on the third line he would kill the strenght off his linemates and would be a defensive liability aswell...

I picked dogman over söderberg, because I think he is faster and he played more games on nhl ice.. I wasn´t really impressed with söderberg (I think he will be great next season)..

Jagr hasn't done much, but it's obvious to see that he's putting more and more effort in every game; eventually he's going to break through, and if it's going to happen it's going to be against Pittsburgh. If anyone is taken out of the line-up, the most likely choice has to be Peverley; though I'm not sure anyone will be taken out unless there's an injury or unless the Bruins fall behind by 2 games at some point in the series.

I'm not even sure that Ference will be put in in place of anyone on Defence, at least not until he's close to 100%.

Please no one laugh, but I'm going to throw out an idea here and just see how ridiculous some of you think it might be...
If Ference gets healthy enough to be put back in the Line-up, would it be totally off the wall to try to play Krug on offense, and with that Peverley perhaps sits? Krug seems to click so well with Horton and Seguin, though I'm not suggesting that such a line should exist. Hey, it wouldn't be the first time a Defensemen plays offense, but yeh, it's really rare I know.

Last edited:

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH
What I don't get, Bergeron, Marchand, Seguin have been this teams biggest scoring threat 2 years running. They struggle shortly after both Marchand and Bergeron come back from injury for a dozen games and they don't hesitate to pull Segs off the line (even though the fact that he's working hard and playing well is acknowledged by the coach) and put him on the third with two other guys who are also struggling offensively and leave him there. Yet you see the Krejci/Lucic/Horton line struggle and they let them play through it to the point of wanting to pull your eyelids off and the most they'll do is separate them for a period.

I really think it has less to do with Seguin's ability and more to do with Claude not wanting to put Jagr with Kelly and Peverley.

It just kind of sucks because now Seguin is more or less forced into a defensive role. I really think he's there because he's more defensively responsible than Jagr is.

After seeing Bourque, Pandolfo, Jagr and now Seguin on that line.. it really seems to be that the common denominator is Kelly and Peverley bringing it down. Which is mind boggling to me.. Both of them are usually really good but they've underperformed all season long. It's hard to watch.

Sans an injury, I really don't think we see someone being sat (and Soderberg brought in) unless the Bruins blow games 1 and 2.. (or completely **** the bed in game 1).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad