Sportsnet: Do We Have a #1 Goalie? All Purpose Goalie Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Batman

Aug 4, 2014
I'm tired of him and his 3.00 gaa

Can he just leave already and stop commenting on the team he asked to be traded from?

At this point, it is more like Leafs don't deserve Reimer, rather than Reimer not deserving to be on Leafs.

Btw, he can't just "leave". Blame Nonis for this gong-show.

Tyler Biggs*

Bernier sick or not it was very important that Reimer play and have a good game after the emotions he displayed the nite before. James stood up and was counted.....no one should devalue his importance to this team both on and off the ice going forward.

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
I think Bernier is Nonis's and Carlyle's guy.With Carlyle gone and Nonis not far behind maybe Reimer might get some respect .

Tyler Biggs*

At one point Reimer was loved by all fans then Bernier came along so so called "fans" trashed on Reimer hating him now that the Leafs are losing Bernier who was the loved one is now being trashed on when in December he was the favourite.... Some so called fans are ridiculous....

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Reimer usually gets to play the 2nd game in a back to back when the team in front of him is tired. Dont know if that have any effect but it could have.

BINGO

It's not like Reimers numbers would be significantly better but it is a very safe assumption that they would be somewhat better. So if his numbers were even slightly improved by playing the first half of back to backs, and not going two weeks between starts, they would be identical to what Bernier has right now (maybe even better).

Being the number one and playing on a regular basis is a huge advantage as far as stats go (win/loss record and save %)

Furthermore coming in for relief of Bernier in the Nashville game when the team mailed it in is the only thing right now that is preventing him from having the same save % as Bernier.

The one question people are not asking is "Does Bernier really want to resign here? He was publicly embarrassed by the Mandela comments & gaff goal, this team will be in a rebuild for MANY MANY years to come without any chance of success which will definitely impact the dollar$ going into his pocket.

You would think that playing the second game of a back to back would influence numbers, but it's been shown that they actually only do so for the goalie that played the first game. Save percentage for back to backs when the goalie did not play the night before is right around league average, actually. It shouldn't have any effect on his numbers.

81Reasons, being a backup has actually been shown to often result in higher save percentage. It's very common that some of the leading goalies in this category play a backup role. Reimer might have done better if he had played more, but we simply do not know. We can only judge on what has happened here.

Bernier might not want to resign, that's true. I just wanted to address the point I've been seeing more of, that Bernier has not been better than Reimer this season. I find that an opinion with a short memory.

They are both good goaltenders, both have over the last couple of years put up top 20 numbers while facing a league-high average quality of shots. Goaltending is absolutely not our problem, no matter if one of them has a bad period or lets in a bad goal. If you judge goaltending on moments such as those, chances are you'll get rid of every quality goaltender coming your way.

Bernier in particular has done very well. I don't see how you can say that he's not a #1 goaltenders when the stats say he's been 5th-9th best in the league over the last five year period. Must be very few #1 goaltenders in this league in that case.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Given the revelation of where the club is at in it's development...Do we need either Bernier or Reimer even if they are true number one goalies?

If and when the table is cleared...I wonder if what we need to go after is BPA in the draft with an emphasis on skilled centers, and supplement our goaltending "need" with modest available UFA free agents?

Perhaps if the answer is yes, we try to use those assets to augment draft position and/or use one to go after a young center/prospect?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Given the revelation of where the club is at in it's development...Do we need either Bernier or Reimer even if they are true number one goalies?

If and when the table is cleared...I wonder if what we need to go after is BPA in the draft with an emphasis on skilled centers, and supplement our goaltending "need" with modest available UFA free agents?

Perhaps if the answer is yes, we try to use those assets to augment draft position and/or use one to go after a young center/prospect?

We don't need them in the rebuild. Do we really want to go through another period of trying to find a good goaltending fit for the team though?

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
The only reason anyone is giving here for trading Bernier, is "because".

Fact is Bernier provides more value on this team compared to as a trading asset - especially if you can get him low-balled in the summer negotiatoons.

The NHL is typically a lead that doesn't really have value in a goaltender's trade market - so why get rid of him for a subpar return, when you can hold onto him & get more value out of him on your team.

I think it's already been established that as great a guy as Reimer is, he's not starting material in this market. That's not necessarily the case with Bernier - he still has the opportunity, the ability, and the age to grow

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Bernier in particular has done very well. I don't see how you can say that he's not a #1 goaltenders when the stats say he's been 5th-9th best in the league over the last five year period. Must be very few #1 goaltenders in this league in that case.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here?

Bernier and last 5 years have nothing in common.

Just wondering if you could clarify?

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
The only reason anyone is giving here for trading Bernier, is "because".

Fact is Bernier provides more value on this team compared to as a trading asset - especially if you can get him low-balled in the summer negotiatoons.

The NHL is typically a lead that doesn't really have value in a goaltender's trade market - so why get rid of him for a subpar return, when you can hold onto him & get more value out of him on your team.

I think it's already been established that as great a guy as Reimer is, he's not starting material in this market. That's not necessarily the case with Bernier - he still has the opportunity, the ability, and the age to grow

Reimer is just 6 months older then Bernier and have just 10 more or so NHL games. They are equally proven/unproven.

Reimer: 163 games, 72 wins, .913 SV%
Bernier: 154 games, 71 wins, .917 SV%

Even their names are kind of similar :laugh:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

You realize Bernier and Reimer are the same age?

There are aspects of Bernier's game that are better than Reimer's, but the opposite is true.

When both are on their game, Reimer is bigger in the net, and doesn't have narcoleptic tendencies. Bernier moves better in the net, and seems more calm. The glove hand on both has been exposed, and Reimer swims more, where Bernier has goals over his shoulder and off bad angles.

Gary Batman

Aug 4, 2014

Hmmm... Interesting! Because media reported that Bernier is the one who is part of the new leadership group.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Reimer is just 6 months older then Bernier and have just 10 more or so NHL games. They are equally proven/unproven.

Reimer: 163 games, 72 wins, .913 SV%
Bernier: 154 games, 71 wins, .917 SV%

Even their names are kind of similar :laugh:

While their numbers appear equal, I don't think they are similar at all.

I believe personally that Bernier has the much higher upside of the 2 goaltenders. Maybe I'm being harsh on Reimer, but I don't think we see too much of an upgrade on what we've seen from him overall.

Bernier on the other hand - I think he's capable of more. Whether he realizes that potential or not, is ultimately up to him, but at the end of the day it's time the Leafs started gambling on things like potential and upside.

I think Bernier's "ceiling" is higher than Reimer's.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Is it me or has the luster come off Bernier a lot this year? Beyond the somewhat spotty play from time to time, I get the sense that he may not be all that well liked, being 1) front and center with salute gate, 2) Nelson Mandela ignorant comments, 3) not always appearing to demonstrate toughness 4) blaming fans for a poor performance 5) looking like he's a bit rattled.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here?

Bernier and last 5 years have nothing in common.

Just wondering if you could clarify?

Just saying that among goaltenders who have played a significant amount of minutes the last five years, Bernier has top ten numbers. Specifically, he's 9th in even strength save percentage with a much higher than average quality of shots faced.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
While their numbers appear equal, I don't think they are similar at all.

I believe personally that Bernier has the much higher upside of the 2 goaltenders. Maybe I'm being harsh on Reimer, but I don't think we see too much of an upgrade on what we've seen from him overall.

Bernier on the other hand - I think he's capable of more. Whether he realizes that potential or not, is ultimately up to him, but at the end of the day it's time the Leafs started gambling on things like potential and upside.

I think Bernier's "ceiling" is higher than Reimer's.

Bernier went as the first goalie in a pretty goalie heavy draft for a reason. Of course he has more upside, he always had a lot of upside. That is not the same as if he will reach it. I really like Berniers rebound control and his movement in the crease is very good.
Reimer on the other hand seem tougher mentally and always find ways to come back. It is not as if the Leafs have put a lot of faith in him, it seem as if they always viewed him as a stop gap. Even when he played great they where out looking for another goalie to bring in. They said they wanted to find a mentor for him but they ended up bringing in a guy at the same age and with less experience.
Sure he did not seem happy about it and he did expect to be traded last season after some less stellar performances. But he came back and fought for his place as much as he could. I am not a huge Reimer fan or anything, I think both our goalies are talented but flawed. But there is just something about Reimer I like, perhaps because we drafted him, that he is a fighter? I dont know, I tend to put an unnecessary amount of meaning to those things.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Is it me or has the luster come off Bernier a lot this year? Beyond the somewhat spotty play from time to time, I get the sense that he may not be all that well liked, being 1) front and center with salute gate, 2) Nelson Mandela ignorant comments, 3) not always appearing to demonstrate toughness 4) blaming fans for a poor performance 5) looking like he's a bit rattled.

His performance has been rather poor post Christmas break.

I sort of wonder if having to face 35-40 shots for 1.5 seasons finally caused him to snap.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Again, what's the difference between having a goalie that you drafted and one you acquired? I'm sure Boston, Columbus and Tampa Bay are kicking themselves for not drafting their own...

Gary Batman

Aug 4, 2014
Again, what's the difference between having a goalie that you drafted and one you acquired? I'm sure Boston, Columbus and Tampa Bay are kicking themselves for not drafting their own...

Rask played 0 games in Leafs organisation, so that is as good as drafted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille