Sportsnet: Do We Have a #1 Goalie? All Purpose Goalie Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I think it would be hard to find many people who would say Reimer is a horrible goalie, and personally I like having the guy on the team, but for the most part the numbers don't lie. While JB is a Leaf Reims will always be the #2, and that is no knock on him, sometimes there is someone better.

Write up in the link.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/why-bernier-is-maple-leafs-best-bet-in-goal/

Reimer_Numbers-copy.jpg
Bernier_Numbers.jpg

Yellow indicates what an average goaltender should produce in Reimer’s/Bernier's individual circumstances; blue represents what Reimer/Bernier actually produced.

bernierreimersave2.jpg

The areas marked in green are where he performed above the average expectation, red is below average, white is the league average.

Last edited:

Swayze*

Sportsnet does an excellent job of creating confusing graphs

:handclap:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Essentially, Sportsnet is saying something that 95% of Leafs Nation already knows:

Jonathan Bernier is much better than James Reimer

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
last preseason Reimer outplayed Bernier

James Reimer got the Leafs to their first post season in almost, too long to remember
and he also got them to Game 7

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Yellow indicates what an average goaltender should produce in Reimer’s individual circumstances; blue represents what Reimer actually produced—below average in every major category.

For those of you having issues discerning the information in the target charts.

Basically the article says what we already know but provides compelling evidence.

Hopefully this is the level of analysis Dubas as co. are doing. Good stuff.

James Reimer got the Leafs to their first post season in almost, too long to remember

And last season, when it counts, Bernier outplayed Reimer. By a large margin.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Bernier was excellent last year. no doubt about it. if he keeps it up there's only a handful of teams where he WOULDN't be #1.

of course, if he keeps it up, we're gonna have to pay up next offseason.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
For those of you having issues discerning the information in the target charts.

Basically the article says what we already know but provides compelling evidence.

Hopefully this is the level of analysis Dubas as co. are doing. Good stuff.

And last season, when it counts, Bernier outplayed Reimer. By a large margin.

Thanks! I'll add into the OP.

Swayze*

Bernier was excellent last year. no doubt about it. if he keeps it up there's only a handful of teams where he WOULDN't be #1.

of course, if he keeps it up, we're gonna have to pay up next offseason.

Nonis will cave and give him 7x7 or 8x8

Thanks Dave.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
I really hate the concept of goaltenders carrying a team to the playoffs or wherever.

I get that some of them turn it on, I get that a great goalie can help hide a terrible team, I get that a goalie is a really important part of the team.

I just don't overstate their impact. James Reimer did not carry the leafs into the playoffs. He did play exceptionally well and in combination with a ton of marlies having sudden career years due largely to a shortened season they made the playoffs.

If you pull James Reimer out of that equation it's not as if you will replace him with a sieve, there's a certain level skill level that is freely available in free agency.

/endrant

Reimer hasn't looked good since he lost the starting job, whereas Bernier has always seemed composed during the goalie battle. This was the major selling point for me wanting Bernier to be the starter, I want someone who isn't phased by that nonsense.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005

And he played us right out of the playoffs last year and got rewarded with a 5 million dollar contract, only in Toronto could this happen.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
No it won't Bernier isn't getting 7-8 million no

For Bernier to get $7M-$8M on a new contract he better have a GAA of 1.65 and a SVPCT of nearing .700. He'd also need to get 7-10 shutouts and at least 36 wins!

He'd have to get these numbers all alone, as we're still not very good defensively!

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
For Bernier to get $7M-$8M on a new contract he better have a GAA of 1.65 and a SVPCT of nearing .700. He'd also need to get 7-10 shutouts and at least 36 wins!

He'd have to get these numbers all alone, as we're still not very good defensively!

Save percent of 0.700? Lol

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
if he plays like last year, and stays healthy.....then yes he is.

That's franchise goalie type which Bernier clearly is not. Unless Bernier plays out of his mind and drags this team into the playoffs on his back, he won't be getting 7-8 million.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto

He needs a worst sv% than a shinny goalie to get paid $7-8 Million? How do I get that job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad