Sportsnet: Do We Have a #1 Goalie? All Purpose Goalie Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Again, what's the difference between having a goalie that you drafted and one you acquired? I'm sure Boston, Columbus and Tampa Bay are kicking themselves for not drafting their own...

None really.The goalie you drafted is usually some one you followed for some time and it is always fun when to see them actually make it. You build up an emotional connection with that player. But in reality it does not matter at all, not one bit.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Again, what's the difference between having a goalie that you drafted and one you acquired? I'm sure Boston, Columbus and Tampa Bay are kicking themselves for not drafting their own...

Considering goalies don't cost much, there really isn't a difference.

81Reasons

Nov 21, 2013
None really.The goalie you drafted is usually some one you followed for some time and it is always fun when to see them actually make it. You build up an emotional connection with that player. But in reality it does not matter at all, not one bit.

I agree and it's why I have always rooted for Reimer...it's classic underdog story.

Having said that I am hoping he gets traded somewhere so that he either has a chance to be #1 or at least to play for a good team. Can you imagine the hate towards him if he ruins our tank efforts?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

The long term plan in Tampa is probably to give the job to Vasilevskiy

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Is it me or has the luster come off Bernier a lot this year? Beyond the somewhat spotty play from time to time, I get the sense that he may not be all that well liked, being 1) front and center with salute gate, 2) Nelson Mandela ignorant comments, 3) not always appearing to demonstrate toughness 4) blaming fans for a poor performance 5) looking like he's a bit rattled.

Yup. When Bernier starts playing well, this thread will become very quiet just like it was in the beginning of the season.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Considering goalies don't cost much, there really isn't a difference.

I remember driving in my car and hearing the announcers say what a crazy move it was for Montreal to draft Carey Price so high in the first round.

Considering what we've been able to do with cheap goalies maybe it's time to spend on one... :)

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
I remember driving in my car and hearing the announcers say what a crazy move it was for Montreal to draft Carey Price so high in the first round.

Considering what we've been able to do with cheap goalies maybe it's time to spend on one... :)

That's just one goalie. There's also Dipietro and Lehtenon.

Look at other teams getting goalies cheap. Lundqvist, Rask, Quick, Bobrovski..

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Two years ago, Price posted a .905 save % on the season at age 25.

Up until mid-december, Bernier had spent the previous two years pushing his name into a borderline top 10 goalie. So he's had a bad two months, who cares. Plenty of goalies have bad stretches or even bad seasons every once in a while.

Lets see how he's doing a year from now.

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
There was some interesting speculation on Leafs Lunch today on whether Bernier bailed on the game on Saturday. Apparently he couldn't practice or play on Saturday because he felt dizzy. They said the optics looked pretty bad that he was listed as "viral infection" on the medical report and he's back practicing today with nothing wrong with him. I wonder if Bernier is quitting on this team.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
There was some interesting speculation on Leafs Lunch today on whether Bernier bailed on the game on Saturday. Apparently he couldn't practice or play on Saturday because he felt dizzy. They said the optics looked pretty bad that he was listed as "viral infection" on the medical report and he's back practicing today with nothing wrong with him. I wonder if Bernier is quitting on this team.

What does that even mean? Why would Bernier "quit" on this team? So he can never get a job ever again in the NHL? I don't know about you, but if I was tasked with saving a frozen rubber dish coming at me ~30-40 times a game, I wouldn't want to do it if I was feeling dizzy. And I'm sure the coaching staff would be against it as well. Why would he choose to sit out against Edmonton of all teams instead of Nashville, the team that lit him up a month earlier? This theory makes absolutely 0 sense.

kingstwitterguy

Jun 29, 2011
Toronto/Winnipeg
Is it me or has the luster come off Bernier a lot this year? Beyond the somewhat spotty play from time to time, I get the sense that he may not be all that well liked, being 1) front and center with salute gate, 2) Nelson Mandela ignorant comments, 3) not always appearing to demonstrate toughness 4) blaming fans for a poor performance 5) looking like he's a bit rattled.

info/link about #4?

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006

That'd be an awfully foolish decision by him considering he is in a contract year. He needs to establish himself as a #1 to hit pay dirt.

He couldn't be that stupid to actually quit on the team, could he? Oh wait...Mandela. :laugh:

Last sentence joking aside, no way he is quitting.

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
What does that even mean? Why would Bernier "quit" on this team? So he can never get a job ever again in the NHL? I don't know about you, but if I was tasked with saving a frozen rubber dish coming at me ~30-40 times a game, I wouldn't want to do it if I was feeling dizzy. And I'm sure the coaching staff would be against it as well. Why would he choose to sit out against Edmonton of all teams instead of Nashville, the team that lit him up a month earlier? This theory makes absolutely 0 sense.

Jeff O'Neil would know better than most. http://www.tsn.ca/radio/leafs-lunch-hour-1-1.203381 at 6 minutes is when they talk about it.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Jeff O'Neil would know better than most. http://www.tsn.ca/radio/leafs-lunch-hour-1-1.203381 at 6 minutes is when they talk about it.

"Is he that dizzy that he can't come and sit by his equipment in the lockerroom?"

What a ****ing moron. Coming from the guy who missed games because of his fear of flying. "Are you that afraid that you can't just get on the team flight?" Sounds even worse than how you described it

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I think its time to build our #1 goalie from within...

Well we were doing that, but Nonis didn't believe Reimer was good enough despite pretty much carrying the Leafs to the playoffs and Game 7 in 2013.

Now I'm not saying I think Reimer is the better goalie. I'm not saying Bernier is either. Both are still unproven and have question marks surrounding their game still. We got Bernier at pretty good value don't get me wrong, but what might have been had we continued riding Reimer as the #1 guy, at least for another season. He may have still flopped, or he could've continued to grow. Instead he got relegated with little chance of ever taking back the #1 role and now we've got two unproven goalies who have had some mountain highs, but valley lows with this team.

This organization sure does love to dick around with their own drafted players.

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
It was the Oilers. I'll hold judgement for the next few games. That being said, if we go full rebuild for the next few years, I'd gladly ship Bernier out. Reimer will likely be cheaper and decent enough for a tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad