Do the Wings go after a free agent goalie in 2020?

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
What about getting Craig Anderson from Ottawa? Just watched him beat Buffalo a couple weeks ago. Rumour there was he might be on the block. Honestly I don’t see any goalie wanting to come to Detroit right now

evolutionbaby

Jan 7, 2012
Posted on the trade board...what about a trade for Georgie from NYR? They may be looking to dump a defender IF possible to relieve salary. What would we need to do? I said something with Svech but really have no idea. Is AA too much?

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
What about getting Craig Anderson from Ottawa? Just watched him beat Buffalo a couple weeks ago. Rumour there was he might be on the block. Honestly I don’t see any goalie wanting to come to Detroit right now

They will for the right price/term (see Bernier, Jonathan), or an opportunity to show they're still a capable starter or NHL goalie for future opportunities (see Mrazek, Petr in 2018 offseason).

But yea Anderson would be a rental at this point and would really be a slightly better albeit older Jimmy Howard.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Posted on the trade board...what about a trade for Georgie from NYR? They may be looking to dump a defender IF possible to relieve salary. What would we need to do? I said something with Svech but really have no idea. Is AA too much?

At this point, AA straight up for a young goalie that's been able to handle a #1B NHL workload (albeit on a better team) so far and still has some time to hit his prime might be a worthwhile gamble as opposed to getting something like a draft pick or picks for him...

I'm not sure if the Rangers would be interested though... I mean he could slot in on the wing somewhere in the middle 6 if/when they lose Kreider and/or Fast, but maybe have other ideas for the at least $3M in cap space it's going to take to extend AA.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I don't want to pay the Holtby price he is only 30 and is going to want 5 years min and starter money. He might put us right back in the same situation as Howard. Or he might be great but I don't want to take that risk.

Wings need to use this time of "we are not going to win anyway" to find young core talent for tryout periods. If you don't fit the core here is your walking papers. We can't afford a 5-6 million dollar declining potential underperformer at this moment in the franchise.

If Holtby is willing to do a 1-2 year contract without an NTC then maybe but I doubt it.

Reactions: Mlotek

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
Lehner was on decline, when he left Buffalo. We interviewed both him and Bernier and did sign with Bernier. Oh, well.
I seem to recall Lehner making some comments about a bad interview with another team before he signed with the Islanders last year, and I know he came to see the Wings. Might not be a connection there, but if there is, probably no chance he'd come here.

I might do Crawford on a one year "show me" contract, though. Couldn't be worse than Howie is this year.

Reactions: 14ari13

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I seem to recall Lehner making some comments about a bad interview with another team before he signed with the Islanders last year, and I know he came to see the Wings. Might not be a connection there, but if there is, probably no chance he'd come here.

I might do Crawford on a one year "show me" contract, though. Couldn't be worse than Howie is this year.

That interview would have been with Holland though.

Yzerman likes big goalies traditionally, so I would expect him to be interested in Lehner.

Reactions: Ricelund

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border

There are always more goalies than roster spots.

Anderson is a bit old to bother getting invested in. He'll be 39 going into next season.

Halak a better option.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
I don't want to pay the Holtby price he is only 30 and is going to want 5 years min and starter money. He might put us right back in the same situation as Howard. Or he might be great but I don't want to take that risk.

Wings need to use this time of "we are not going to win anyway" to find young core talent for tryout periods. If you don't fit the core here is your walking papers. We can't afford a 5-6 million dollar declining potential underperformer at this moment in the franchise.

If Holtby is willing to do a 1-2 year contract without an NTC then maybe but I doubt it.

Agreed, Holtby is going to ask for tons of term and money.

Combined stats from 2017-18 to present. Wonder how many can pickout Howard and Holtby from their stats alone?

90.8% 2.92 GAA
90.6% 3.09 GAA​

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

IMO, next season probably isn't ideal for any type of "show me" one year deals in net. Bernier will technically be in a "show me" situation as well, and if both goalies show Yzerman that they aren't good, he'll be scrambling to replace both (and Pickard as well if a young goalie doesn't claim the starting job in GR) through trades and free agency in the same summer when the league adds another team worth of goaltending jobs.

On the other hand, the only real benefit would be that the Wings would end up with an open spot to protect a goalie in the expansion draft and could get a bargain on a goalie from a team that has more than one goalie worth protecting. An example could be Demko if the Canucks decide to extend Markstrom longterm, or who ever Pittsburgh decides is expendable between Jarry and Murray.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
It'll be interesting to see how Yzerman handles goaltending spots going forward.

Early on in Tampa, he signed a couple of #1B/#2 guys on cheap 2 years deals in Dan Ellis and Mathieu Garon

One forgotten Yzerman goalie blunder in Tampa: He made a trade for a "goalie of the future" a few days before he drafted Vasilevskiy and a few months before stealing Bishop from Ottawa.

He sent AHL goalie Sebastien Caron (a throw in), 2 previously acquired 2nd round picks in 2012 (#37 and #50 OA) and Tampa's own 3rd in 2013 (ended up #64OA

for

Anders Lindback, AHL forward Kyle Wilson (likely a throw in) and 7th in 2012 (#202 OA)

Lindback ended up being garbage before getting hurt for almost a month, which prompted Yzerman to get Bishop. Lindback backed up Bishop the next year before Yzerman packaged him up with a 3rd and sent him to Buffalo for Enroth.

Something tells me Yzerman won't be paying any steep prices for young goalies again...

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
IMO, next season probably isn't ideal for any type of "show me" one year deals in net. Bernier will technically be in a "show me" situation as well, and if both goalies show Yzerman that they aren't good, he'll be scrambling to replace both (and Pickard as well if a young goalie doesn't claim the starting job in GR) through trades and free agency in the same summer when the league adds another team worth of goaltending jobs.

On the other hand, the only real benefit would be that the Wings would end up with an open spot to protect a goalie in the expansion draft and could get a bargain on a goalie from a team that has more than one goalie worth protecting. An example could be Demko if the Canucks decide to extend Markstrom longterm, or who ever Pittsburgh decides is expendable between Jarry and Murray.

Last this kind scenario was only an edge for the expansion team, when they negotiated about protections.

Pittsburgh payed 2nd round pick for Vegas, so they would select Fleury. It really feels pure lunatism afterwards and you make can't that kind of trade happening.

The Pittsburgh Penguins traded their second-round pick in the 2020 NHL Entry Draft in exchange for Vegas selecting Marc-Andre Fleury.[22]

Don't think Wings can get an advantage of it.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Yeah, and the other scenario is that the Wings could trade with Seattle for a goalie if there are multiple goalies available in the expansion draft.

Same scenario with D-men. The Wings need to stock up on draft picks and prospects so that they have assets to trade with Seattle. They will need to fill out their AHL affiliate, so even guys like Lashoff and Hicketts have some value for Seattle.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Same scenario with D-men. The Wings need to stock up on draft picks and prospects so that they have assets to trade with Seattle. They will need to fill out their AHL affiliate, so even guys like Lashoff and Hicketts have some value for Seattle.

This kind of trades really won't help our team anyway.

Getting UFAs from free market is better asset management.

Of course, Seattle is gonna keep all guys with Top4 potential and will let extra 3rd pair guys go. We have enough of 3rd pair guys.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
This kind of trades really won't help our team anyway.

Getting UFAs from free market is better asset management.

Of course, Seattle is gonna keep all guys with Top4 potential and will let extra 3rd pair guys go. We have enough of 3rd pair guys.
3rd pair guys are still better than what this team has. This team is currently playing 3 AHL players, Green is UFA, and DDK's career is questionable (back surgery). The only NHL caliber players signed for next season are Hronek and Nemeth. Seider may or may not be ready, Cholo needs to stay in GR until his waiver exemption is over.

Other than Pietra, I don't see any UFA D that I'd want. Haven't checked next year's list yet...

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Over in the main trade forum, Alexandar Georgiev + Marc Staal for a 2nd is a generally agreed to price. Is that too steep?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
If you believe in Georgiev as a ready-made starter, a 2nd and Staal isn't bad.
Staal has one year left.
We're going to suck anyway next year. McIsaac won't be ready.
We;ll be crowded on LD for a season with Staal, Nemeth and Dekeyser and Cholowski.
We haven't drafted and developed a goalie since Mrazek. Our most promising goalie prospect has just taken a nosedive off a cliff.
If you believe in Georgiev, a 2nd and Staal isn't bad.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Don't we have a second 2nd rounder - maybe that one. Definitely not #32 - that will be a fallen first rounder sorta deal.

I just as soon get a do no harm vet to plug in for next 2-3 years while we build the rest of the team. I wouldn't mind extending Bernier to be honest.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
If you believe in Georgiev as a ready-made starter, a 2nd and Staal isn't bad.
Staal has one year left.
We're going to suck anyway next year. McIsaac won't be ready.
We;ll be crowded on LD for a season with Staal, Nemeth and Dekeyser and Cholowski.
We haven't drafted and developed a goalie since Mrazek. Our most promising goalie prospect has just taken a nosedive off a cliff.
If you believe in Georgiev, a 2nd and Staal isn't bad.
Agreed. Georgiev will only be 24 next season and has put up some some solid numbers early in his career on bad teams. I think that's worth a second rounder.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Considering Detroit's 2nd is likely to be the very next rung on the ladder after what would be considered a "late 1st", that's arguably steep to get Georgiev and a decent sized cap dump. Washington's 2nd or a 2nd the Wings could get when/if they move some guys at the deadline would make more sense.

That said, consensus among Rangers fans seems to be that either; A) Staal probably wouldn't waive his NTC for Detroit; or B) The Rangers would probably rather keep Staal or buy him out instead of losing value on Georgiev to move his contract.

Brendan Smith would probably be the easier bad contract to send to Detroit for the Rangers, as he has a NTC that affords the Rangers a list of 1o teams he'd be willing to go to, and I'd be shocked if the Red Wings weren't one of the 10 as he'd likely have a regular role for a year and some of his buddies like Abdelkader and DK will likely still be around.

For the right price, Georgiev does make a lot of sense for the Wings. They don't have a young goalie anywhere near ready for the NHL, and they probably need someone that will be around past 20-21 if they move on from Bernier. Georgiev will be a 24YO RFA this summer, so the Wings can sign him to an affordable 2 year bridge, protect him in the expansion draft and then see where they're at with him when he becomes an RFA for the last time in summer 2022. If the Red Wings are still complete trash at that point but Georgiev is decent in net, he could still be a valuable piece to trade.

The big question is the price. If the Rangers are open to trading Georgiev to Detroit, but don't want to use him to move bad salary, what should the Red Wings trade for him? AA? #32OA? Decent Prospect? package of picks/prospects?

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad