Do the Wings go after a free agent goalie in 2020?

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Quick will be 34 this month I wouldn't go after him unless LA retains a majority of the salary.

I should've elaborated. The only way Quick would be an option is if the Kings are taking some dead weight from the Wings (IE Nielsen or Abdelkader), retain, and/or include some sort of incentive for taking on the contract in the form of future assets. That said, it seems pretty unrealistic since the Kings aren't really hurting for cap space.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
First goalie Yzerman did acquire at Tampa was 39-year old Dwayne Roloson.

Stevie loves veteran goalies.

I could see that being the short term but the long term solution came from Holland's gift wrapped first rounder for KFQ and Bishop before that.

Reactions: The Wizard of Oz

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Getting Markström would be funny. It would felt like fixing finally that horrible Tom McCollum pick.

2008 entry draft

#30 DET - G Tom McCollum
#31 FLO - G Jacob Markström

It's so exciting any time you see a first rounder on a goalie, you think woot! finally a star. Tom McCollum is a painful memory.

Reactions: Ricelund

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
@Henkka I doubt SY pays a premium $5-$8M+ for Holtby or an aging/declining/expensive goalie is my point. He may have signed Roloson under a different set of circumstances, ie short term band-aid. I'm fine if he signs Halak for $3-4M & 2yrs or someone similar....I don't want term & big $ tied up in a goalie until we're closer to contention & I doubt SY does either.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
@Henkka I doubt SY pays a premium $5-$8M+ for Holtby or an aging/declining/expensive goalie is my point. He may have signed Roloson under a different set of circumstances, ie short term band-aid. I'm fine if he signs Halak for $3-4M & 2yrs or someone similar....I don't want term & big $ tied up in a goalie until we're closer to contention & I doubt SY does either.

Why expect long-term as a default?

What if he signs Holtby for 3 years, with big money.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I'd rather trade for someone like Ville Husso (STL) or Alexandar Georgiev (NYR) and not sign Howard again. Howard has caught the Schneider flu this year.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
I can see signing a FA goalie for a year or two, to give the kids in GR a chance to develop. Bernier isn't a bad backup, so I can see keeping him for another year or two.

I'm not sure what kind of FA signing we'd possibly make.. but I'm not interested at all in overpaying for someone who is on the decline.

Reactions: 14ari13

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I can see signing a FA goalie for a year or two, to give the kids in GR a chance to develop. Bernier isn't a bad backup, so I can see keeping him for another year or two.

I'm not sure what kind of FA signing we'd possibly make.. but I'm not interested at all in overpaying for someone who is on the decline.

Lehner was on decline, when he left Buffalo. We interviewed both him and Bernier and did sign with Bernier. Oh, well.

You just don't know with goalies. Try somebody, like Holtby, a proven winner, but don't sign long-term.

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
I should've elaborated. The only way Quick would be an option is if the Kings are taking some dead weight from the Wings (IE Nielsen or Abdelkader), retain, and/or include some sort of incentive for taking on the contract in the form of future assets. That said, it seems pretty unrealistic since the Kings aren't really hurting for cap space.
Honestly, the Kings wouldn't take either one of those Wings, maybe Darren Helm.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Why expect long-term as a default?

What if he signs Holtby for 3 years, with big money.
I doubt Holtby is open to singing for less than 5 yrs, possibly 4. He'll want to get paid...neither is ideal for us. His stats in recent years aren't even good, he's already declined & would further decline b/c of age/injuries & throughout a contract with us since out GAA/D are still pretty crappy.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I doubt Holtby is open to singing for less than 5 yrs, possibly 4. He'll want to get paid...neither is ideal for us. His stats in recent years aren't even good, he's already declined & would further decline b/c of age/injuries & throughout a contract with us since out GAA/D are still pretty crappy.
What he wants and what he gets are 2 different things. Remember everyone said the same about Green, and he settled for 3 yrs with the Wings.

Everyone knows he's declining, nobody is going to offer up term. He'll take the money on a short term contract like Green did. I really doubt any team offers Holtby more than 3 years, his W/L record and Cup are more of a function of the team than the goalie.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Lehner was on decline, when he left Buffalo. We interviewed both him and Bernier and did sign with Bernier. Oh, well.

You just don't know with goalies. Try somebody, like Holtby, a proven winner, but don't sign long-term.
I am fine with a short term solution. Actually I think that is what we need.

I do not think trading for a goalie is a good idea. Why trade assets when you can get it for free?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

I do not think trading for a goalie is a good idea. Why trade assets when you can get it for free?

If it's a trade, it'd be for a younger guy with a good track record whose path forward is blocked in some way. It'd be a long term solution that doesn't force us to gamble on a draft pick developing just right for us.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
If it's a trade, it'd be for a younger guy with a good track record whose path forward is blocked in some way. It'd be a long term solution that doesn't force us to gamble on a draft pick developing just right for us.

I think the goaltending is the only position I do not mind fixing through FA.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think the goaltending is the only position I do not mind fixing through FA.

I wouldn't be against it, but not at a premium. I just don't trust the position to be consistent enough to warrant a massive contract, which is easy to say now considering Bobrovsky's play in Florida. When is the last time a big UFA signing where a player changed teams resulted in a player living up to it? Was it Suter?

I think I'd rather see us spend a 2nd/3rd to bring in another team's extra goalie, sign a guy like Brien Elliot, etc. and focus on building the rest of the team.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I wouldn't be against it, but not at a premium. I just don't trust the position to be consistent enough to warrant a massive contract, which is easy to say now considering Bobrovsky's play in Florida. When is the last time a big UFA signing where a player changed teams resulted in a player living up to it? Was it Suter?

I think I'd rather see us spend a 2nd/3rd to bring in another team's extra goalie, sign a guy like Brien Elliot, etc. and focus on building the rest of the team.

I would see this goaltending thing as same what happened to Vegas.

Fleury had lost his starter position thanks to development of Murray. Then shined again at Vegas. Pens needed the cap space to let the more expensive backup to walk.

Same is happening in Washington, they could lose either Holtby or Ilya Samsonov at 2021 expansion draft. Going to future with Samsonov would give them a lot of cap space to stay as contender.

Red Wings should take advantage of this situation and go after Holtby.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I would see this goaltending thing as same what happened to Vegas.

Fleury had lost his starter position thanks to development of Murray. Then shined again at Vegas. Pens needed the cap space to let the more expensive backup to walk.

Same is happening in Washington, they could lose either Holtby or Ilya Samsonov at 2021 expansion draft. Going to future with Samsonov would give them a lot of cap space to stay as contender.

Red Wings should take advantage of this situation and go after Holtby.

Depends entirely on cost, imo. Fleury went to Vegas with a couple of years still left on a reasonable deal, and has since re-upped with a similarly reasonable deal. Holtby isn't having a great year, but I'm betting he'll be looking for something north of what MAF got. And if the market doesn't support that, I think it's more likely he works something out with Washington for a year or two to make one last Cup run before they start having guys like Ovi, Backstrom, Oshie, and Eller just age out/retire.

Right now, I'd be looking at one of the young Russian goalies in NYR. I doubt either will want to play backup for the next several years or split duties. And Lundquist is on the books for another year and I haven't heard any rumors of him being willing to step aside next year.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Right now, I'd be looking at one of the young Russian goalies in NYR. I doubt either will want to play backup for the next several years or split duties. And Lundquist is on the books for another year and I haven't heard any rumors of him being willing to step aside next year.

I agree, Georgiev or Shesterkin should be the main targets. Trade for one of them and trade/waive Howard.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
What would it take to get Georgiev from the Rangers? He will be an RFA. Throw in AA and a prospect like Cholowski.
Georgiev would be great, but Lundi only has 1 extra year left. Yah the Rangers aren't great defensively, but from the few Rangers games I've seen Lundi hasn't been good. Georgiev has.

Rangers also have Shesterkin in the minors.

So depending what they wanna do with Lundi after his deal is up may make a trade possible.

They could easily keep all of em or trade someone like they did Raanta. Or make the hard decision to let Lundi walk.Would have used Raanta as a reference trade (value wise) but it involved Stepan as well who was coming off a handful of solid seasons for Rangers.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I agree, Georgiev or Shesterkin should be the main targets. Trade for one of them and trade/waive Howard.
I think it would take a lot to get Shesterkin.

Yea, I think Shesterkin is probably untouchable unless the Wings are offering up a 1st or a high end prospect. He's been the speculated heir apparent to Lundqvist for a few years now, while Georgiev has been more of a pleasant surprise and would likely come a good bit cheaper.

I think some of it will depend on what the Rangers decide to do going forward... Shesterkin has already said he's either in the NHL next season or he goes home, Lundqvist will be in the final year of his contract and Georgiev will be an RFA looking for a bridge deal. That said, they also won't have any pressure going into the expansion draft since they'll only need to protect Georgiev as Shesterkin is exempt and Lundqvist will be a UFA and possibly heading into retirement.

If Yzerman went after Georgiev, he could use cap space to drive cost down like the Avs did when they picked up Grubauer. The Avs sent 47OA for Grubauer and the last year of Orpik's contract, who they then bought out. The Rangers will have two Dmen, Marc Staal and Brendan Smith, in Orpik's shoes with one overpaid year remaining and I'm sure the Rangers could use the cap space, especially if Lundqvist is still in the picture.

A trade that brings in Georgiev and one of Staal or Smith at the right price would check a couple of boxes for the Wings. They'd get a cost controlled young NHL-capable goaltender with some upside that can tandem with Bernier for a year and then be protected in the Expansion Draft, and they'd get a one year stopgap veteran on D for when they're likely to lose Daley, Ericsson and Green either at the coming deadline or as UFA's this summer.

In comparison to the Grubauer deal, I'm not sure what the return to the Rangers should be, but I'd rather the Wings deal off some of their glut on the wing than 2nd/3rd round pick.

As someone mentioned above, the only way trading for a goalie makes sense is it's for someone that can be around for a bit and has some upside to be useful if/when the team is finally competitive. As far as assets are concerned, the Wings have a logjam up front, particularly at wing. If they could package some of that up to get a decent young goalie that's closer to making an impact I don't think it would be so bad as opposed to getting draft picks that are likely far from making any sort of impact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad