Do the Wings go after a free agent goalie in 2020?

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Markstrom makes sense to me. There's also a chance Wings can make a play to trade/resign him before FA hits. Doubt the Canucks want to lose him for nothing.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
I believe the Wings will go after a free agent goalie? Markstrom is more affordable but there is Holtby as well. Bernier would stay as back up.
Would find it hard Vancouver would allow Markstrom to go free.

That being said, Markstrom would be looking for 5 mil minimum on a long term deal. One of last few chances he has for a big pay day. He's been putting up solid games for a weak Vancouver side.

I got some disturbing numbers for you. Sum of the last 2 seasons and partial of this between Holtby and Howard. I won't tell you which one is which but.... these numbers are concerning to say the least. Keep in mind the 1 goalie plays for a top NHL team and the other for a basement dweller.

90.8% 2.92 GAA
90.6% 3.09 GAA

Reactions: Oddbob

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
Lehner is 28 and is much younger than Crawford. I could see Chicago signing him and let Crawford walk. Crawford will be 36 in 2020. I cannot see 12 million plus tied up with two goalies with Chicago. If Lehner leaves it would be his fifth team. If Vancouver is the playoff hunt in April they might try to trade Markstrom after the season ends but before July 1st. Holtby too expensive, rather go after Washington's back up.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
I'd stop gap it a year and get our defense respectable first - otherwise we'd have to drastically overpay to convince a goalie to sign with a team with our historic goal differential after this season.

Mission this off-season is a new coaching staff. With next year still part of the learning process for Yzerman and the young players with the new coach. I'd expect to be bottom five next season again anyways.

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
I'd stop gap it a year and get our defense respectable first - otherwise we'd have to drastically overpay to convince a goalie to sign with a team with our historic goal differential after this season.

Mission this off-season is a new coaching staff. With next year still part of the learning process for Yzerman and the young players with the new coach. I'd expect to be bottom five next season again anyways.
My question is Bernier your starter and Pickard your back up. Larsson isn't ready and Howard should be gone.? The other options are trades. Bernier and Pickard are also UFA's in 2021.

Last edited:

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
My question is Bernier your starter and Pickard your back up. Larsson isn't ready and Howard should be gone.? The other options are trades. Bernier and Pickard are also UFA's in 2021.

There is some Slovak goalie with about a 1.6 GAA and 93 save % in the Swedish league. Perhaps Detroit could take a flier on him.

Some guy named Patrik Rybar, I have never heard of him before. But perhaps there is something there...

I wouldn't be too quick on ruling out Howard from coming back next year.

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
I would love to get Ilya Samonsov from Washington which won't happen. This year he is 10-2 with a GA of 2.28 and a save percentage of 918. He has outplayed Holtby.

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
There is some Slovak goalie with about a 1.6 GAA and 93 save % in the Swedish league. Perhaps Detroit could take a flier on him.

Some guy named Patrik Rybar, I have never heard of him before. But perhaps there is something there...

I like Howie but he is done. Rybar was owned by the Wings and played for GR last year. I'm not sure what his current status is? I know last year he signed a one year entry level contract with Detroit.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I believe they will definitely add a UFA goalie, or Steve takes a chance on a goalie in a similar to Fabbri situation. Larsson is not even close if he even has what it takes to make it, and the rest are even longer shots. Pickard is definitely not an NHL goalie from what I have seen.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Meh, he was average at best last season in GR, so good numbers in the SHL means very little.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Meh, he was average at best last season in GR, so good numbers in the SHL means very little.
Yah I know his numbers weren't great, but how bad the goalies played end of last season would have liked him to get a couple goes in Detroit.

But apperantly he was only signed cause the GK coach liked him.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
IMO, the most logical outcome probably sees Yzerman bring in a goalie that will be around at least one more season after 20-21.

The eventual Seattle expansion draft probably increases this need since the Wings are currently scheduled to have 3 vacant goaltending spots shortly after the league adds a 32nd team and subsequently opens up goaltending jobs for the new team and/or the teams that lose a goalie to the new team.

I don't see Yzerman going after the big UFA fish like Holtby, Markstrom or Lehner.

A. A signing like Nemeth. An affordable and serviceable stop gap that can give them some insurance past when they lose some significant depth at his respective position (IE Daley, Ericsson, Green, Kronwall - had he returned, since he was still undecided at the time of the Nemeth signing - were all scheduled to be UFA's this summer and it would/will be difficult to fill all of those spots in the UFA market, especially if young guys aren't ready.). Somebody signed for 2 years that would come in and for the first year either start and push Bernier back into the #2 spot, or platoon with Bernier in a #1A/#1B tandem. Then in the second year either continue starting or replace Bernier as back up if they bring in a better option to start.

Some UFA possibilities here could be: Greiss, Halak, Khudobin, Elliot, Talbot, maybe Crawford?

or B. He does something he did in Tampa (IE Bishop) and uses some forward depth to deal for a younger potential "goalie of the future" that's either ready to start now or could in the next couple years. Not really sure who fits the bill here.... Georgiev, possibly Sorokin, Shestyorkin, Nedelkjovic, Demko? Availability probably depends on what their respective teams do with their other NHL goalies.

I wonder how much the draft lottery will change the approach... Like if the Wings end up with a top 2 pick and a young guy that will step in immediately and make an impact, are they more likely to go for a "goalie of the future" type? Where as if they end up with 3OA or later and a player that won't immediately step in, do they go for the stop gap UFA?

Other thoughts:

Howard - Unless he finds a fountain of youth, stays healthy and goes on a tear for the rest of the year that sees him end the year with a sub 3 GAA and a SV% at least 2% higher than what it currently is, he's probably done in Detroit. Bringing him back for one more season doesn't make much sense since that would mean the team needs to potentially re-sign/replace 3 goalies after 7/1/21. He either retires and probably joins the FO in some capacity, or chases a back up job for a year with another team.

Bernier/Pickard tandem for 20-21 - This only makes sense if the team badly wants to try for another lottery pick. Bernier isn't exactly the type of "starter" that teams would be OK backing up with a guy like Pickard... This would also put the Wings in a spot where they need to figure out both NHL goaltending spots before 21-22. Pickard probably continues as AHL #1 and NHL #3 next year. He could have an increased risk of being claimed on waivers next year, but likely only as a temporary fill in for a team with an injured guy and the Wings would look to re-claim him once that team waives.

Rybar - While he's been putting up good numbers in Europe again, bringing him back doesn't make a whole lot of sense... He crashed pretty hard in GR last season after they started to give him more work over Sateri, so he's still kind of unproven. He'd also be eligible for waivers and will be a UFA even if he signs for only a year.

Take on a goalie as a cap dump - The Blues will probably need some space to sign Dunn and Pietrangelo, maybe they look to finally move Allen, although that does still leave the Wings with 3 UFA goales in 2021. Maybe swap some bad salary with the Kings for Quick?

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Lehner or Markstrom would be okay with me I think they are both better golaies then their career has shown. The problem is they will want term and starter money so if they don't work out then we are screwed and I don't know about you but I am tired of bloated negative value contracts on this team. I really feel I would rather avoid them so its a medium reward signing at high risk. I doubt Lehner or Markstrom would settle for a prove it contract but IMO that is the only way I would want them here.

I would much prefer taking a chance on overseas goalies that have no NHL resume. Bring one or two over and see if they can acclimate to the NHL and be above average. We don't even need a star just someone who can hold the fort.

I would really rather draft and grow a goalie much like Yzerman did with Vaselivski. I also wouldn't mind trading one of our core to secure a young blue chip goalie that can cement the core. We have never had a superstar goalie it would be nice for that to change. I would rather have a superstar in net as a solid last line. A superstar goalie can make a bottom feeder into a playoff team, there is no other position that can do that unless you are talking Gretzky level talent.

I like the cap dump idea get a pick and a prospect so another team can unload and we got a solution for a year or two.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Lehner is 28 and is much younger than Crawford. I could see Chicago signing him and let Crawford walk. Crawford will be 36 in 2020. I cannot see 12 million plus tied up with two goalies with Chicago. If Lehner leaves it would be his fifth team. If Vancouver is the playoff hunt in April they might try to trade Markstrom after the season ends but before July 1st. Holtby too expensive, rather go after Washington's back up.
I think the hawks will definitely lock Lehner up. He has took the starting job from Crawford who has a .905 save % compared to Lehner’s .926. And yeah the age thing is huge too.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Didn't know that Oulu and Kärpät is located in Sweden. ;)

Swedish Annunen just did beat USA in Finland jersey.

Reactions: Mlotek

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I don't see SY paying a premium for an aging/declining/expensive Holtby. His age doesn't fit our core at all & he'll probably command $8M++ ? I'd rather trade for one of NYR Russian G's.

First goalie Yzerman did acquire at Tampa was 39-year old Dwayne Roloson.

Stevie loves veteran goalies.

Reactions: 14ari13

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
IMO, the most logical outcome probably sees Yzerman bring in a goalie that will be around at least one more season after 20-21.

The eventual Seattle expansion draft probably increases this need since the Wings are currently scheduled to have 3 vacant goaltending spots shortly after the league adds a 32nd team and subsequently opens up goaltending jobs for the new team and/or the teams that lose a goalie to the new team.

I don't see Yzerman going after the big UFA fish like Holtby, Markstrom or Lehner.

A. A signing like Nemeth. An affordable and serviceable stop gap that can give them some insurance past when they lose some significant depth at his respective position (IE Daley, Ericsson, Green, Kronwall - had he returned, since he was still undecided at the time of the Nemeth signing - were all scheduled to be UFA's this summer and it would/will be difficult to fill all of those spots in the UFA market, especially if young guys aren't ready.). Somebody signed for 2 years that would come in and for the first year either start and push Bernier back into the #2 spot, or platoon with Bernier in a #1A/#1B tandem. Then in the second year either continue starting or replace Bernier as back up if they bring in a better option to start.

Some UFA possibilities here could be: Greiss, Halak, Khudobin, Elliot, Talbot, maybe Crawford?

or B. He does something he did in Tampa (IE Bishop) and uses some forward depth to deal for a younger potential "goalie of the future" that's either ready to start now or could in the next couple years. Not really sure who fits the bill here.... Georgiev, possibly Sorokin, Shestyorkin, Nedelkjovic, Demko? Availability probably depends on what their respective teams do with their other NHL goalies.

I wonder how much the draft lottery will change the approach... Like if the Wings end up with a top 2 pick and a young guy that will step in immediately and make an impact, are they more likely to go for a "goalie of the future" type? Where as if they end up with 3OA or later and a player that won't immediately step in, do they go for the stop gap UFA?

Other thoughts:

Howard - Unless he finds a fountain of youth, stays healthy and goes on a tear for the rest of the year that sees him end the year with a sub 3 GAA and a SV% at least 2% higher than what it currently is, he's probably done in Detroit. Bringing him back for one more season doesn't make much sense since that would mean the team needs to potentially re-sign/replace 3 goalies after 7/1/21. He either retires and probably joins the FO in some capacity, or chases a back up job for a year with another team.

Bernier/Pickard tandem for 20-21 - This only makes sense if the team badly wants to try for another lottery pick. Bernier isn't exactly the type of "starter" that teams would be OK backing up with a guy like Pickard... This would also put the Wings in a spot where they need to figure out both NHL goaltending spots before 21-22. Pickard probably continues as AHL #1 and NHL #3 next year. He could have an increased risk of being claimed on waivers next year, but likely only as a temporary fill in for a team with an injured guy and the Wings would look to re-claim him once that team waives.

Rybar - While he's been putting up good numbers in Europe again, bringing him back doesn't make a whole lot of sense... He crashed pretty hard in GR last season after they started to give him more work over Sateri, so he's still kind of unproven. He'd also be eligible for waivers and will be a UFA even if he signs for only a year.

Take on a goalie as a cap dump - The Blues will probably need some space to sign Dunn and Pietrangelo, maybe they look to finally move Allen, although that does still leave the Wings with 3 UFA goales in 2021. Maybe swap some bad salary with the Kings for Quick?

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->