Do the sens currently have the pieces to make the playoffs next year?

Do the sens currently have the pieces to make the playoffs next year?

• Yes

• No

• They have the core but need to make big moves in offseason

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
It’s funny that other fan bases are more optimistic about this team than some Sens fans.

Adding a top 4 D like Savard would go a long way

Ursamajor25

Aug 1, 2020
I think it will come down to Matt Murray figuring out how to be a decent goaltender again. With that we are at least competing for a wild card spot.

Reactions: aragorn

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
It’s funny that other fan bases are more optimistic about this team than some Sens fans.

Adding a top 4 D like Savard would go a long way

Dougie Hamilton or trade for someone better (Theodore? Lindholm? maybe Morgan Reilly?)
Savard wouldn't push us to the level we should be striving for. He would definitely make us better but not contender level down the line.

Reactions: Emrasie and Cosmix

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Dougie Hamilton or trade for someone better (Theodore? Lindholm? maybe Morgan Reilly?)
Savard wouldn't push us to the level we should be striving for. He would definitely make us better but not contender level down the line.

getting someone like Hamilton would be cool but we wouldn’t be able to afford them long term. I’d rather add a lower level top 4 to mesh with Chabot/Sanderson/Zub/Brannstrom but that’s just me

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
getting someone like Hamilton would be cool but we wouldn’t be able to afford them long term. I’d rather add a lower level top 4 to mesh with Chabot/Sanderson/Zub/Brannstrom but that’s just me

We have the cap space and we can flip them if we need room to sign Sanderson/JBD/Brannstrom if they actually deserve big contracts themselves. I doubt it would be hard to move a guy like Hamilton.

Reactions: Cosmix

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Don't agree with either of those statements. Montreal could be in the Wright sweepstakes next year.
They're literally still playing.

Next time please quote my entire post.

Which division was worse?... it's pretty obvious the Metro and South Central were much better. Maybe the West was worse but I don't think so. No colorados or vegas's in the north.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If Zaitsev goes the other way he is very affordable. They can cut alot of other dead weight too. Teams with good d cores win. He is exactly who they should target if they wanna make the playoffs.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Which division was worse?... it's pretty obvious the Metro and South Central were much better. Maybe the West was worse but I don't think so. No colorados or vegas's in the north.

I disagree with them finishing last in the division because they didn't.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I think people need to consider that every team in our division is going to get weaker because of the Expansion Draft, while we will be losing Gustavsson, at worst, with a full goalie bullpen.
That might clear some cap room for some teams and most teams in our division can attract some decent UFA's.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It's probably been mentionned but this thread is very premature, the 2020-21 season is not even over... There's going to be an expansion draft, an amateur draft and then free agent season before we start having a better idea of how teams will shape up

I think it will come down to Matt Murray figuring out how to be a decent goaltender again. With that we are at least competing for a wild card spot.

He had no problem at HOME all season (0.909 SV%). He had pretty good games early on vs Toronto, Montreal twice, Edmonton, Calgary twice... but every time it was home games. The reality is as soon as the Sens were on the road, they were incapable to defend at a NHL level and were getting destroyed (except a few games), it didn't matter if it was Murray, Hogberg and it would have been basically been the same with any other goalie. Every game was like if the other team started with a 4-0 lead. Don't think I have ever seen a NHL team gift wrap so many easy goals in such a short period of time

Once the team "figured it out" (personnel changes helped, coaching staff worked hard to instill systems), goalies had a real chance to do the job and it was the same story for Murray. He had 0.968 SV% in his 4 ROAD games in April after coming back from injury. TEAM DEFENSE was literally NIGHT and DAY compared to early in the season. It's kind of weird that not more people see this.

Hockey is really a team thing, they could even be "fine" with a Hogberg/Forsberg duo if they play like they did after mid-March. Not saying they'd go far in the playoffs or even make them but the 2 major things you need to be competitive in this league is team defense and ability to score goals consistently. Of course, the better your goaltending is, the better your team can be. It becomes more crucial in playoffs.

Last edited:

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016
Virtually everything would have to go right to make the playoffs, barring some offseason moves like trading picks/players for veterans or signing good free agents, which is improbable.

What would need to happen:
- Major leaps forward from Stutzel, Batherson, Norris, Brannstrom, Zub, Mete, Pinto, Dadynov
- Outstanding goaltending (unlikely)
- Few injuries
- Other teams imploding

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Ya, with a little luck (i.e., no injuries to key players), we have a reasonable chance of making the playoffs I suppose.

But, I'd hope we set different kinds of goals.

I'd rather think long term. Knowing Ottawa and its owner, our best chance for more than just barely making the playoffs is going to depend on a lot of good young players that are our core on inexpensive ELC and RFA contracts. I'd love to be wrong, but I don't see Melnyk as a big player in landing the big fish/ticket free agents.

Unfortunately, I agree that Melnyk will not spend to the cap next season or any other to land any big fish. That will reduce the capability and probability of the team becoming a SC contender. We might become a playoff team for a few years if we stay the course on getting better via the draft and judicious trades for better players, not the chaf Dorion has gone after (which is probably caused by the BUDGET and abetted by Dorion's bad trading skills).

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Unfortunately, I agree that Melnyk will not spend to the cap next season or any other to land any big fish. That will reduce the capability and probability of the team becoming a SC contender. We might become a playoff team for a few years if we stay the course on getting better via the draft and judicious trades for better players, not the chaf Dorion has gone after (which is probably caused by the BUDGET and abetted by Dorion's bad trading skills).
Would tend to agree. That's my fear as well, namely that it might be better if Dorion didn't make any trades at all. Maybe its just that confidence is low based on last offseason's results. I see some posters talking about trading for 4th line players. Its probably better that they just keep their picks and keep drafting rather than blowing assets and cap money on players (e.g., 4th liners) that won't make much of difference. Let's see what happens & hope for the best.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I'd love to see them land a really good defender or center via free agency. I'd rather go the free agency route than trade as we will need those good younger, less expensive players ultimately to have success.

But, will EM really fork over the money to land them? And, can we keep the older established players along with our good younger players when those younger players need larger, new contracts?

Ashrum

Sep 22, 2006
I think next year we finish around 8 to 12 range, get another decent pick. If we get lucky get closer to a play off spot but if injuries happen to the core we may fall down a bit. The 2022/2023 seasons is when our team starts to make a serious push to playoffs. Our young guys need more time and to push too soon we will just fizzle out. Get someone good this draft and next then start to push. As the core gets playoff experience we will still be able to add talent to the roster as the next two drafted 1sts enter into the NHL. Also boston and Tampa starts to age out.

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Would tend to agree. That's my fear as well, namely that it might be better if Dorion didn't make any trades at all. Maybe its just that confidence is low based on last offseason's results. I see some posters talking about trading for 4th line players. Its probably better that they just keep their picks and keep drafting rather than blowing assets and cap money on players (e.g., 4th liners) that won't make much of difference. Let's see what happens & hope for the best.
No trades unless it's to take advantage of the expansion draft.

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007
3 of these teams will be in the top 3, the 4th probably in the wild card.

Tampa Islanders
Toronto Carolina
Florida Washington
Boston Pittsburgh

Maybe we can be in the race for a wild card spot be we need to seriously improve our top 4, add a top 2 centre and more cup experience in this locker room.

By the way, Savard and Chabot share the same agent and Goodrow played with Nick Paul in North Bay.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I'd love to see them land a really good defender or center via free agency. I'd rather go the free agency route than trade as we will need those good younger, less expensive players ultimately to have success.

But, will EM really fork over the money to land them? And, can we keep the older established players along with our good younger players when those younger players need larger, new contracts?

So the Senators would become the next Tampa Bay Lightning! Sign me up for aggressive UFA signings, judicious trading and cap spending.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
So the Senators would become the next Tampa Bay Lightning! Sign me up for aggressive UFA signings, judicious trading and cap spending.
Definitely would like to see the Senators land a really good free agent. But, the question is always will EM really pony up the $s and give out a contract like that?

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010

I agree with this.

I see the value in adding players to help the young guys grow and we definitely have more picks/prospects than we need, but all that aside, I can’t help but feel we can make much more informed trades next off-season than we can right now.

We simply cannot afford to tie up more money in players we don’t need, and I think understanding where guys like Pinto or JBD slot in our line-up, whether we can re-sign Zub and Brown, whether Norris and Batherson continue to develop upwards etc is going to help us make informed decisions. The assets we have are better used when we understand what our needs are and I’m not sure that’s clear just yet.

Reactions: Emrasie and bert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad