Do the sens currently have the pieces to make the playoffs next year?

Do the sens currently have the pieces to make the playoffs next year?

• Yes

• No

• They have the core but need to make big moves in offseason

Results are only viewable after voting.

LatteLarrys

LatteLarry's
Dec 27, 2013
Man, would need a lot to go right and maybe a lot to go wrong for teams likely in contention for low seeding/WC spot. We're in for a tough division, but as mentioned above, regression is kind of conceivable for some divisional rivals (Boston's core has to age at some point...). If we get reliable goaltending this time and rookies continue to break out next season, we could be a bubble team.

Reactions: lancepitlick

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Man, would need a lot to go right and maybe a lot to go wrong for teams likely in contention for low seeding/WC spot. We're in for a tough division, but as mentioned above, regression is kind of conceivable for some divisional rivals (Boston's core has to age at some point...). If we get reliable goaltending this time and rookies continue to break out next season, we could be a bubble team.
Look at Montreal who Ottawa is just as good as in my opinion. We’re not far off.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
They have the pieces in the org to eventually become a contender, but they're not ready next year to make the playoffs in the East. They could be a perfectly average team next year but that's not going to get you in the playoffs in the East.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Once you get in sure. The Sens have some playoff type guys. But Montreal is quite possibly also not getting in the playoffs next year.

I'm honestly considering putting money down on that. Will be better odds than usual.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Once you get in sure. The Sens have some playoff type guys. But Montreal is quite possibly also not getting in the playoffs next year.
very possible . Dallas was a cup finalist last year and did not make it .. Its a tough league and there a lot of teams trying to take that next step to be a playoff team.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
We have the pieces... obviously. Or else this rebuild would be a failure.

The question is whether the pieces are developed enough.

The biggest question mark is in nets. Who's playing and how well are they playing.

Then defense is the next big question. Do we get our young guys make huge bounds.

Does brannstrom become one of the Better offensive defenseman to give chabot some support?
Does zub become a premier shut down defenseman?

As for the forwards, they have the least question marks if most of the forwards can progress a little bit, we've got a very solid playoff worthy forward group. Not star loaded with the top 5-10 teams but deep and balanced to be in the next group of teams.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
very possible . Dallas was a cup finalist last year and did not make it .. Its a tough league and there a lot of teams trying to take that next step to be a playoff team.

Dallas had a very difficult season for a number of reasons. I'm saying the bar in the East is going to be very high and will keep out teams that are playing well. There could be a team or two with 98 points that is on the outside looking in.

Reactions: bert

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
They have the pieces; yes.

External circumstances make it more difficult than most teams to make the playoffs.

You need two of FLA/TB/BOS/TOR/MTL to falter just to make it. That’s a tough ask.

Reactions: bert

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
I think we have the pieces to compete for the wildcard. The playoffs that's another beast.

This team is ready to complete for the playoffs but we have a few pieces missing and hopefully we fill them this summer or attempt to.

We have some great depth of prospects but is going to be really hard for this young team to make the strides over last season to get into the playoffs.

We won't be playing just North Division teams which has it's pro's and con's.

The future looks bright but I this team is young and we just have to hope that everyone progresses and the playoffs will take care of itself when it's time.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
They have the pieces; yes.

External circumstances make it more difficult than most teams to make the playoffs.

You need two of FLA/TB/BOS/TOR/MTL to falter just to make it. That’s a tough ask.

I was thinking of that and it's obviously unlikely.

That being said, maybe Montreal is lightning in a bottle and not actually that good...and maybe Boston takes a step back like often predicted. We would need those things to happen and Ottawa having a couple young guys step up into stardom.

Ursamajor25

Aug 1, 2020
We are going to be in the hardest division next year. So we need to stay the course and not make any rash moves.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
No.

Progression isn't linear, and we have a lot of young kids whoa re due for a sophomore slump or third year blip. And our top line is subpar for the playoff team.

We still need the kids to develop...not all of them will. We need a few more prospects to turn into NHLers. The prospects look good, but they aren't NHLers until they have a good 50+ games under thier belts and we see what they can do in the league. And, we still need to patch whatever holes emerge after that.

Patience. We need patience.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
They have the talent and coaching, if they find a goalie that can play well they’ll make it.

Matt Murray is the big question mark, if he finds his game they make it. If he’s inconsistent they won’t make it

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think we could make the playoffs, but likely won't.

Goaltending and health is a big part of it, we made the playoffs when Spezza, Karlsson, Michalek and Anderson all missed significant time. I think our current lineup is potentially better than that depleted one.

Lots of wild cards this coming year;

Who plays 2nd line center, Pinto, White, L.Brown?

Which Dadonov do we see, the one from last year or the one from Florida?

Does Stützle hit a sophomore slump or does he break out of his shell and start dominating?

Who is our starter, Murray, Gus, D'Accord?

How does our D play, and who steps up to fill those top 4 roles, Brannstrom, Mete, JBD?

Young teams can surprise you both ways, they can take giant leaps forward, or they can struggle to live up to expectations set by their previous play. Hopefully we see more of the former.

Reactions: Yak

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Is it confirmed the divisions are going back to the old ones for next year?

If so, I don't think we make it, I feel like we're one more year away from the kids making the bigger steps. Sophomore slumps are common and as good as Pinto can be, I don't think he'll be in the NHL for the entire year.

If we make a big splash then it's different story, but I doubt we make the playoffs as it stands now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad