Do the sens currently have the pieces to make the playoffs next year?

Do the sens currently have the pieces to make the playoffs next year?

• Yes

• No

• They have the core but need to make big moves in offseason

Results are only viewable after voting.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
I know everyone's caught up in how good the Atlantic looks, but there tends to be a disappointing team in most divisions almost every year. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a down season for a team like Boston or Florida next year, and who knows what Montreal will look like. Leafs are probably a lock to finish top two and lose in the first round though.

I could also see the metro going either way, definitely not stressed about them taking both wildcard spots. Capitals and Penguins might be on the downswing, jackets and flyers seem like a bit of a mess, I don't think NJ is ready to take the next step, and NYR is kind of in the same position as us.

If everything goes right for us next year (kids don't sophomore slump, Murray rebounds, etc.), I'm not that concerned with our division fortunes. If we're good enough, we'll make the playoffs.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
No.

Get a top-6 C and a partner for Chabot?

Yes.

Canucks fan here in peace. I see on page 1 mentions of dumping Tierney and getting a partner for Chabot in this post. If Vancouver wants to get Chris and also Zub (haven't watched him but stats wise he looked solid and we need RHD), would the Sens have interest in Nate Schmidt? He's rumored to want out and he can play either side (LD/ RD), plus he was on Vegas' shutdown unit before we acquired him. I could see him and Chabot working well as a duo; the term left might be a turn-off but curious about your guys' thoughts (as well as Juolevi for Logan Brown).

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Canucks fan here in peace. I see on page 1 mentions of dumping Tierney and getting a partner for Chabot in this post. If Vancouver wants to get Chris and also Zub (haven't watched him but stats wise he looked solid and we need RHD), would the Sens have interest in Nate Schmidt? He's rumored to want out and he can play either side (LD/ RD), plus he was on Vegas' shutdown unit before we acquired him. I could see him and Chabot working well as a duo; the term left might be a turn-off but curious about your guys' thoughts (as well as Juolevi for Logan Brown).

We aren't giving up Zub.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The finished second last and the 4th place team in that "worst division" made the final.
I admited already I made the mistake about Vancouver who was the only team they finished ahead of who was destroyed by Covid and Montreal was Tampas easiest opponent. Montreal actually finished 9th in the east but got into the playoffs due to the divisions. Its pretty obvious the South Central and the Metro were much better divisions. The east is stacked, if you think the Sens are going to beat out two of Boston, Toronto, Florida or Tampa in the regular season plus whoever crosses over then have at it. I dont see it and there is not much to suggest they will if you look at their roster and look at this objectively. The sens should continue on the same path of the rebuild, continue to draft and develop. Players like Formenton, Pinto, Logan Brown etc need ice time, I dont want to see useless vets brought in that have no long term future stagnating those players development. I hope they stay the course, so one day when this team is ready they can start to move assets to improve on the teams weakness's. At this point we really dont even know what they are missing as they arent close. I am excited about the future but not going to overate a 30 game stretch against weak opponents at the end of the year.

Lol absolutely not, Zub was Ottawas most consistent and best defender last year. Unless Hughes, Petterson, Demko, Horvat or Boeser are on the table and I assume they arent there is no interest.

Reactions: aragorn and Cosmix

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Due to contract, age and recent performance, Zub > Schmidt

No point acquiring any RHD if Zub is leaving, the goal would be to have another RHD to play with Chabot, Zub, Zaitsev and Bernard-Docker. When JBD is ready, we can move Zaitsev

Also, Juolevi for Logan Brown could be doable, IF the Sens brass is high on him and think they can build a good NHL player out of him. For hockey fans in general, I think it's a bit of an unknown. Logan could be good, he needs to stop being injury prone.

Reactions: Cosmix

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012

Sorry, we need Zub to live.

Reactions: DrEasy

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I think the Atlantic isnt as strong as most here are thinking and we can compete,but we need our kids to be better next season

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Do they have the pieces to make the playoffs this season? Maybe not this season, but the yr after might be more realistic.

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
Barring any major deals between now and season start, I'd say we're still closer to the 20th position in the league. The year after I can definitely see us as a playoff bubble team. The biggest piece we're missing is a legitimate 1A center now, if we can somehow acquire one via trade it would be franchise altering, all the other pieces are in place as long as JBD pans out in the next couple seasons, Sanderson transitions smoothly into the NHL, and we resign Zub. A top 4 RH puck moving defence man is a secondary need, but not as critical as a top end offensive centerman to complement Stutzle. If that hole is filled, I'm confident we can become legitimate contenders within 3years and stay that way for many years after, I think most of the pieces are already in place, I just hope Melnyk is actually willing to spend to the cap and ice the best team possible when its time to do so.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I think MTL will collapse . Weber is going to be a bigger blow than Methot was to the 2017 sens.

Tampa is going to be more beatable but a lock
Toronto is a lock and will be motivated strong regular season team
Boston age will get them a bit so they will be more beatable but they will have a good handle on that third spot in the Atlantic and battle Florida for it.

sabres will be last but anything can happen in this league .

I think Ottawa will miss but they will make it a interesting race or battle for a wild card spot in the conference a true bubble team which will be a improvement

I just think our forwards are going to mature nicely and make life hell for teams

Last edited:
Reactions: aragorn

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Devils add Tatar and Hamilton. A top six winger and a #1 dman. There’s going to be a lot of competition for the wild card spots.

Reactions: Emrasie

ThaShow

Feb 29, 2012
Gatineau
Unless we have a cinderella season or a big trade coming to help the pro, I dont think so! Next year is more realistic

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The answer is yes, but we’ll have to battle our way in past more established squads.

As a young team we have the division right where we want them to be a relatively unknown and disruptive force.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I could see the season playing out like this although it's more likely Toronto takes the top spot since they are a much better regular season team. They may even make it to the 2nd rd, but won't get by Tampa. I think Montreal will be the team that drops this season.

1. Tampa
2. Toronto
3. Boston
4. Florida
5. Ottawa
6. Montreal
7. Detroit
8. Buffalo

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I could see the season playing out like this although it's more likely Toronto takes the top spot since they are a much better regular season team. They may even make it to the 2nd rd, but won't get by Tampa. I think Montreal will be the team that drops this season.

1. Tampa
2. Toronto
3. Boston
4. Florida
5. Ottawa
6. Montreal
7. Detroit
8. Buffalo
I have the same top 4 but in a different order. I think Montreal is going to be horrible this year. A team that won on team defense, buy in, strong leadership and being hard to play against lost that in spades and replaced it with soft players with questionable attitudes (except Savard but he is certainly no Weber). I actually cant wait to watch it happen their fans are worse than Leaf fans right now. Oh yeah they are getting the shortest offseason ever and werent even a playoff team with that roster last year they were 9th in the east.

Montreal Out:
Weber, Perry, Danault, Gustaffson

Montreal In:
Savard, Hoffman, Paquette, Wideman

YUCK!!!!

Here are my overall standings predictions as of August 5th

Regular Season Atlantic

1. Florida
2. Tampa
3. Toronto
4. Boston
5. Ottawa
6. Montreal
7. Detroit
8. Buffalo

I dont think the sens will really be that close at any point as the battle for the last spot between NYR, Pittsburgh, Boston, NYI and Washington is going to be very close. But they will be ahead of the three bottom dwellers in the division and Columbus

Regular Season Metro
1. Carolina
2. NYR
3. Pittsburgh
4. NYI
5. Washington
6. New Jersey
7. Philly
8. Columbus

Regular Season East
1. Florida
2. Tampa
3. Carolina
4. Toronto
5. NYR
6. Pittsburgh
7. Boston
8. NYI
9. Washington
10. New Jersey
11. Philly
12. Ottawa
13. Montreal
14. Columbus
15. Detroit
16. Buffalo

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I have the same top 4 but in a different order. I think Montreal is going to be horrible this year. A team that won on team defense, buy in, strong leadership and being hard to play against lost that in spades and replaced it with soft players with questionable attitudes (except Savard but he is certainly no Weber). I actually cant wait to watch it happen their fans are worse than Leaf fans right now. Oh yeah they are getting the shortest offseason ever and werent even a playoff team with that roster last year they were 9th in the east.

Montreal Out:

Montreal In:

YUCK!!!!

Regular Season Atlantic

1. Florida
2. Tampa
3. Toronto
4. Boston
5. Ottawa
6. Montreal
7. Detroit
8. Buffalo

I dont think the sens will really be that close at any point as the battle for the last spot between NYR, Pittsburgh, Boston, NYI and Washington is going to be very close. But they will be ahead of the three bottom dwellers in the division and Columbus

Regular Season Metro
1. Carolina
2. NYR
3. Pittsburgh
4. NYI
5. Washington
6. New Jersey
7. Philly
8. Columbus

Regular Season East
1. Florida
2. Tampa
3. Carolina
4. Toronto
5. NYR
6. Pittsburgh
7. Boston
8. NYI
9. Washington
10. New Jersey
11. Philly
12. Ottawa
13. Montreal
14. Columbus
15. Detroit
16. Buffalo
Wow, I get that Florida is an up & coming team but 1st overall is bold, go big or go home. :thumbu:

STUDtzle

Jun 1, 2021
So long as the goaltending is above 905 I don't see why not. Montreal's significantly worse as is Boston.

STUDtzle

Jun 1, 2021

Montreal Out:

Montreal In:

YUCK!!!!

Regular Season Atlantic

1. Florida
2. Tampa
3. Toronto
4. Boston
5. Ottawa
6. Montreal
7. Detroit
8. Buffalo

Regular Season Metro
1. Carolina
2. NYR
3. Pittsburgh
4. NYI
5. Washington
6. New Jersey
7. Philly
8. Columbus

Regular Season East
1. Florida
2. Tampa
3. Carolina
4. Toronto
5. NYR
6. Pittsburgh
7. Boston
8. NYI
9. Washington
10. New Jersey
11. Philly
12. Ottawa
13. Montreal
14. Columbus
15. Detroit
16. Buffalo

AGREED. Habs fans this playoff/offseason, especially after many of them flat out defended what their sex offender draft pick did, have sunk to the bottom of the toxic fan bucket. Congrats Vancouver, you're no longer the worst.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

Montreal Out:

Montreal In:

YUCK!!!!

Regular Season Atlantic

1. Florida
2. Tampa
3. Toronto
4. Boston
5. Ottawa
6. Montreal
7. Detroit
8. Buffalo

Regular Season Metro
1. Carolina
2. NYR
3. Pittsburgh
4. NYI
5. Washington
6. New Jersey
7. Philly
8. Columbus

Regular Season East
1. Florida
2. Tampa
3. Carolina
4. Toronto
5. NYR
6. Pittsburgh
7. Boston
8. NYI
9. Washington
10. New Jersey
11. Philly
12. Ottawa
13. Montreal
14. Columbus
15. Detroit
16. Buffalo

I don't like what Carolina did in nets

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I wouldn’t be surprised with another season at the bottom, wouldn’t be surprised if they were a bubble team.

I would be surprised with a playoff appearance. Basically see them outside the playoffs with as good a shot at Wright as pick 14.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Wow, I get that Florida is an up & coming team but 1st overall is bold, go big or go home. :thumbu:
They were 4th overall in the entire league last year and got alot better this offseason. Cooper said they were the hardest series they played.

I don't like what Carolina did in nets
I think its pretty lateral personally. Andersen is probably the best of the bunch. I didnt like how they gave up on Ndeljkovich he is one of my favorite prospects.

Last edited:
Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
They were 4th overall in the entire league last year and got alot better this offseason. Cooper said they were the hardest series they played.
I like their young roster & the pricks also got Lundell C in this past draft who I liked a lot. He would cost a lot now to try & get from them, but he would have been a good pick for Ottawa & addressed fan's need for a top line centre.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->