Do the sens currently have the pieces to make the playoffs next year?

Do the sens currently have the pieces to make the playoffs next year?

• Yes

• No

• They have the core but need to make big moves in offseason

Results are only viewable after voting.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Ill say we might. There are so many variables, but Logan Brown is a huge one for me. If he breaks out, this team can sneak in.

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Stutzle-Pinto-White
Paul-Brown-Brown
Formenton-Tierney-Watson

Chabot-Zub
Brannstrom-Zaitsev
Mete-JBD
J Brown

Murray
Daccord

That team could cause a lot of problems for the eastern confrence.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
No. I think we're starting to get there. So much would have to go beyond expectations for us to make the playoffs with our current pieces, it's pretty safe to say we're not going to make it. Lots of good teams in this league. A team like the Rangers might be in tough for a playoff spot. They're much further along in their build than we are.

Reactions: Cosmix

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
We will need above average goaltending to make it but I feel it’s unlikely.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
They would have made it last year with a better start so the answer is an obvious yes.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
They would have made it last year with a better start so the answer is an obvious yes.
Not sure how things translate when we go back to normal divisions

Florida 79 pts (115 pts pace)
Leafs 77 pts (112 pts pace)
Tbay 75 pts (109 pts pace)
Boston 73 (106 pts pace)

That's 4 teams pacing at 106 pts or more.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yes … but they need to develop a bit (Stutzle, Sanderson etc).
Sanderson won't play for the sens next season until the very end of the season if at all since he's committed to college so I'm not sure how his development is the difference between a playoff spot or not, he might get 2 or 3 games...

Reactions: Cosmix and bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
They aren't close and mortgaging any of the future to do so would be incredibly short sighted unless it's for a player that is going to be here for a while that a team has to move because of expansion.

Tampa, Florida, Boston and Toronto (regular season) are in a completely different tier. Montreal is obviously better too. It's got the most high end teams of any division in hockey.

This is a long process to get to being a contender. The sens finished last in the worst division in the league. Look at teams like Carolina, Tampa etc they didn't rush it the sens just gotta let their players develop. The team is also horrible at pro scouting.

I think its quite clear now that the Metro Division and the Central were much better than the North and West. Not only are their 5 teams that are clearly better there are 5 in the Metro as well. The Rangers are going to be really good next year. Gonna be a blood bath in that division. I actually think only 3 Atlantic teams make the playoffs next year.

If the Sens were in the west they would have a chance the East is way too stacked.

How is Florida a lock for top 2 let alone the playoffs? They haven’t even signed Barkov yet and their coach might not survive the offseason scandal.
They are absolutely stacked and pushed Tampa to the limit without their number 1 d man and garbage goaltending outside of Knight. Who they will have all of next year. Florida 5 years ago is where Ottawa is now.
No.

Progression isn't linear, and we have a lot of young kids whoa re due for a sophomore slump or third year blip. And our top line is subpar for the playoff team.

We still need the kids to develop...not all of them will. We need a few more prospects to turn into NHLers. The prospects look good, but they aren't NHLers until they have a good 50+ games under thier belts and we see what they can do in the league. And, we still need to patch whatever holes emerge after that.

Patience. We need patience.

Very accurate post. It took until the second page for a post like this (outside of SOA). I think expectations for the fan base are way too high.

A rebuild isn't a fast process. Especially if you don't have a Crosby, Ovechkin or a McDavid type. Then you factor in how good the East is.

Out of the top 12 teams in the NHL only two are from the west. The discrepancy is absolutely nuts right now.

Last edited:

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Unless Murray rediscovers his game, not a chance. And if you relegate him to 2nd or 3rd string..deal with that mess (6 1/4 million per).

Defense is shaky but will hold. The offense can play with the best of them. The net will be the major issue.

Let's hope Robidas' island is still taking bookings for 2021/2022.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Sanderson won't play for the sens next season until the very end of the season if at all since he's committed to college so I'm not sure how his development is the difference between a playoff spot or not, he might get 2 or 3 games...

Simple - they have the pieces (answer to the questions) but they are not developed enough - good chance Sanderson plays in the NHL next year… so will Stutzle etc.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
With good goaltending, almost any team can make the playoffs. I wouldn't expect it, though. We will be "in it" for longer, I hope, but don't think we will finish so far from where we were this season without additions.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Not totally convinced. It's a hard division and do we have any sophomore slumping?? Also, how does our young team fair for a full season.

Definitely have the potential but a lot of things have to go right to convince me we make the playoffs

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Simple - they have the pieces (answer to the questions) but they are not developed enough - good chance Sanderson plays in the NHL next year… so will Stutzle etc.
'Do they have the pieces to make the playoffs next year.' That's the question. You don't seem to understand it.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
I have no expectations of making the playoffs next season. It'd be dope obviously, but its 2022/23 that I'll consider it a failure if theyre on the outside looking in again.

Odds are at least 1 or 2 sophomore slumps hit some key guys next season.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Do they have the pieces to make the playoffs next year. That's the question. You don't seem to understand it.

I always love your feedback Bertty. I’m very aware of what my post implies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The point was that Sanderson is committed to college next year so by the time that finishes and he is ready to sign a contract, there will be 2 or 3 games remaining. His development or lack of is highly unlikely to make any difference in our playoff hopes.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
The point was that Sanderson is committed to college next year so by the time that finishes and he is ready to sign a contract, there will be 2 or 3 games remaining. His development or lack of is highly unlikely to make any difference in our playoff hopes.

yes … I’m aware of that and the implication of my post. Simple post dude … stop trying to over modogooglize everything.

We have the pieces and we prob won’t make the playoffs.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
yes … I’m aware of that and the implication of my post. Simple post dude … stop trying to over modogooglize everything.

We have the pieces and we prob won’t make the playoffs.
I mean it was simple until you tried to make it not simple. The question was 'Do the sens have the pieces to make the playoffs next year'. You changed it to 'The sens have the pieces to make the playoffs some day.'

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Does Dorion sign a bunch of has been vets who are liabilities and get played over better players?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad