Speculation: Do the Leafs need a temporary goalie?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
We absolutely need a player of his size to work out but he hasn't.

You are in denail about Nick Ritchie you want him to be good so badly that you have convinced yourself that despite the fact that he has 0 goals in 20 games that that's OK and he's been good enough.

Reading comprehension 101!!

Not that Ritchie has been very good most of the season... but if he can play like he did last night, that's a positive direction. Three hits last night, 46 on the season... we need someone who can play this way...

Does that sound remotely like someone claiming he's been good enough? Does that sound remotely like someone in denail!! (Denial)?

It's 20 games... he's better as of late... he played quite well last night. You want to give up on things so quickly, looking for problems to make a move. Maybe he doesn't work out, and I've even proposed to move him, to upgrade the team... But such suggestions have been clear upgrades for the team overall...

But you really need some patience on this one. (and most things) How he played last night, even the trend... we need that player. Especially in the playoffs.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
We probably need Mrazek back, healthy, and playing well.

For now Woll is doing the job.

I'm certainly glad he's seizing the moment.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
We probably need Mrazek back, healthy, and playing well.

For now Woll is doing the job.

I'm certainly glad he's seizing the moment.
We do, and he will be back soon.....he had better numbers than Jack last season, so it's possible the Leafs could have one of the better tandems in recent memory.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I'm in the dump Mrazek camp. I believed in Campbell last year I believe in him this year he is #1 they don't need a tandem (at that cost). Cap space too valuable. Woll looks good enough to step in when needed for now. We couldn't have known this but he looks calm and steady for a rookie. Can't have your #2 with injury issues making more than #1 doesn't make sense. For the record I never like or understood the Mrazek signing Dubas other moves very good offseason but never liked it at all.

Ritchie I keep saying will be needed more come playoff time so I'm willing to look past offence this reg season is all an illusion guys means almost nothing playoffs will tell the story in the end...

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I'm in the dump Mrazek camp. I believed in Campbell last year I believe in him this year he is #1 they don't need a tandem (at that cost). Cap space too valuable. Woll looks good enough to step in when needed for now. We couldn't have known this but he looks calm and steady for a rookie. Can't have your #2 with injury issues making more than #1 doesn't make sense. For the record I never like or understood the Mrazek signing Dubas other moves very good offseason but never liked it at all.

Ritchie I keep saying will be needed more come playoff time so I'm willing to look past offence this reg season is all an illusion guys means almost nothing playoffs will tell the story in the end...
Just don't do it in season. If you move Mrazek, you are taking a huge risk as Campbell has an injury history too. Then if Woll struggles, it's Hutch time.

Premature to do anything. Arguably one of the best tandems in the league in recent memory for around $5.5 million. Both had >.920 save percentages last season.

And for the record, Mrazek's stats last season were slightly better than Jack's were.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
^^^
Yes he had a good year last year. Career stats aren't that impressive though. He also hasn't helped the Leafs one bit and nearing christmas injury is a real concern here.

I look at it a bit differently. Like if we lose Muzzin again the Leafs are done in playoffs. Leafs are more thin at D than at goalie right now my opinion. Need cap space to buffer that.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
^^^
Yes he had a good year last year. Career stats aren't that impressive though. He also hasn't helped the Leafs one bit and nearing christmas injury is a real concern here.

I look at it a bit differently. Like if we lose Muzzin again the Leafs are done in playoffs. Leafs are more thin at D than at goalie right now my opinion. Need cap space to buffer that.
The leafs are scratching an NHL top 6 D every night regardless which of Holl Liljegren Dermott or Sandin it is. All are at worst #5’s.
Mrazek has been a 1a starter who has put up good numbers his entire pro career, there’s no reason to suggest he won’t do the same here once he’s back.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
The leafs are scratching an NHL top 6 D every night regardless which of Holl Liljegren Dermott or Sandin it is. All are at worst #5’s.
Mrazek has been a 1a starter who has put up good numbers his entire pro career, there’s no reason to suggest he won’t do the same here once he’s back.

2020-2021:

Campbell - 2.17 GAA, .921 sv %
Mrazek - 2.06 GAA, .923 sv %

Matt Murray - 3.38 GAA, .893 sv % (for reference).

I think the Leafs have a perfect combo to run with this season for just under $5.5 million, with Woll slotting in #3 and getting some games. That is the depth teams need to have to make it through a season, especially with the Leafs not getting their batch of positive Covid sticks from Bettman yet. lol

Reactions: Nylanderthal

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006

I would call Mrazek career stats 'decent'. We need to look past just last year to see that. He might come back stay healthy and play well though yes remains to be seen.

I disagree as well with your opinion regarding Leafs depth on D. I say again if Muzzin goes down all bets are off come playoff time. I have little faith in Lilly/Sandin combo in the playoffs hope am proven wrong but they will get exposed at times.

TGB

Jun 7, 2021
Woll really picked it up at the end of the game, but for the most part, the Leafs were doing a terrific job keeping the shots on him on the low quality side. Well, until the last period anyway. The will need a better backup goalie.

Still, it's nice they're giving Woll a chance to gain confidence.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

I don't know that dumping Marazek is a good idea based on 3 games from Woll, yes he's 3-0 but it's still 3 games that's not enough

Reactions: Menzinger

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
You really comfortable saying that after 3 games? I know what his numbers are but it's 3 games
I agree with you here, no way they move mrazek because Woll has looked good over the past week.
If Woll goes down with this gained confidence and plays well in the AHL (whatever that looks like with the team in front of him) going into next offseason I think you can move mrazek to whoever misses out on the kuemper sweepstakes (lol) and gets otherwise left out in the goalie carousel that happens each July. I’d expect them to sign a cheaper back up along side jack and let Woll push that guy in training camp.

SoftDumpNtheCorner88

Jul 5, 2020
They should be showcasing Mrazek once he's healthy and trade him for a team looking for a keeper... I'm sure there will be goalie buyers come TL (assuming we're healthy) and asking price should be at a high.

The team has been playing solid defense as a whole and that's also been a major factor to Campbell and Woll playing solid.

Use the Capspace to go for a bigger fish for better depth come playoffs.

Again this is praying on Campbell being healthy come playoffs...

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I don't get why people are in such a rush to dump Marazek.

I get that Woll is 3-0 and I get that the numbers are good but it's 3 games against Buffalo, NYI and the Sharks, not exactly the class of the league.

Let's give it a little time before we start dumping proven goalies

kb

Aug 28, 2009

I get that Woll is 3-0 and I get that the numbers are good but it's 3 games against Buffalo, NYI and the Sharks, not exactly the class of the league.

All these amateur GM's wanting to dukc up a team on a 13-2 run need their heads examined.

What if Campbell gets seriously injured? The first thing they will do it bitch about the GM leaving us with the Woll and Hutch tandem...

People need to think for one second. Just one second. Before posting.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Oh… now you’re preaching patience. :laugh::laugh::laugh::popcorn:

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
I'll say it sure is nice having a goaltending situation like the Leafs are having now compared to that of seasons past.

Yes it's only 3 games for Woll, so it's way too soon to be jumping the gun with trading Mrazek, but come trade deadline time who knows? It would be nice to put some of the mrazek money towards campbell's next contract. Woll's play could open the door for that possibility.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I don't know that dumping Marazek is a good idea based on 3 games from Woll, yes he's 3-0 but it's still 3 games that's not enough

See I agree with that for the most part. Sure keep Mrazek 'if you can'. I'm not even saying it has to be Woll to be backup.

I think even if healthy right now Mrazek would be backing up Campbell. Dubas didn't have the foresight it seems and made an error not having enough faith in Campbell to reach out and extend to a contract right there with the sting of playoff loss in the air. Campbell has picked up right where he left off and cemented himself now. To me it doesn't make sense that the back up be making more than the starter on a team with real cap issues and needs elsewhere. The Leafs need another top 4 defenceman come playoff time. Maybe even a top 2 might be needed actually although Rielly is playing really well right now so has alleviated that somewhat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad