Speculation: Do the Leafs need a temporary goalie?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I will give you that but Andy took a 1.5m pay cut to go to the Canes while Leafs gave Mrazek a 675k raise.
Andersen took a 500k pay cut (after a season in which he posted an 0.895 SV%), not 1.5m, though I'm not really sure what their previous contracts have to do with anything anyway.

Reactions: Nylanderthal

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Andersen took a 500k pay cut (after a season in which he posted an 0.895 SV%), not 1.5m, though I'm not really sure what their previous contracts have to do with anything anyway.

Your comment was "Andersen is 32, completely bombed last year+, and has dealt with multiple injuries over the past couple years, and he still had teams willing to pay him more than Mrazek.". Andy took a 10% paycut due to his bombed year. Mrazek played 12 games last year and Dubas gave him a 20% raise and hence why it may not be as easy to move him as some think.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Your comment was "Andersen is 32, completely bombed last year+, and has dealt with multiple injuries over the past couple years, and he still had teams willing to pay him more than Mrazek.". Andy took a 10% paycut due to his bombed year. Mrazek played 12 games last year and Dubas gave him a 20% raise and hence why it may not be as easy to move him as some think.
What they were paid on their previous contracts is completely irrelevant though. Andersen dealt with injuries, played just 24 games last year, and put up an 0.895 SV%, and still got more money than Mrazek, who at least played excellently in the games he did play. I also noted examples like Jones and Holtby, who have been complete garbage for years and still got multi-million dollar contracts. Mrazek wouldn't be as difficult to move as many here seem to think.

Reactions: banks

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I don't why folks keep calling him that. He was brought in to play around 50% of the games this season. His injury being the only reason why that hasn't happened so far

He hasn't been a "backup" in like his last 8 years or so seasons in the league.
Because pointing this out means that those posters may look foolish.....oh wait, those posters don't care how they look.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think it shows that we don't need one just because our "back up" is out for a few weeks either.

Mrazek should be back in about a week or two, which is probably 2 more games for Woll.

I'm just Not fully sold on Woll yes he's 2-0 but those 2 wins were against glorified AHL twams.

I need to se him beat some quality opponents.

Buffalo and a severely depleted NYI team isn't enough

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm just Not fully sold on Woll yes he's 2-0 but those 2 wins were against glorified AHL twams.

The point isn't that he beat bad teams. It's that he's capable of filling in like a 3rd stringer can... and he did. We don't need to spend assets or scramble for a temporary goaltender. Even if he sucks so bad in his next couple starts, he did relatively well to replace Mrazek.

It's pretty simple to understand.

Mar 26, 2010
The Leafs need to immediately cut all ties with Mrazek. Trade him, buy him out, put him on waivers…whatever. He has to go.

Reactions: HellasLEAF

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The Leafs need to immediately cut all ties with Mrazek. Trade him, buy him out, put him on waivers…whatever. He has to go.

They have to cut ties with Nick Ritchie first.

At least with Marazek he has the injury excuse and he at least has a win he has contributed something it's not much but it's something.

Nick Ritchie has contributed NOTHING he has been shockingly useless.

He's got to be the first to go.

Reactions: 34

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I'm not sure that 2 games is enough to make that decision
I'm looking more at cost/value. Not sure I'm willing to give up an asset for 2 potential wins that Woll could accomplish anyway. If Mrazek injures himself further and/or is ineffective upon return and Woll falters, maybe. Not now. No sense of paying a speculative asset.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
The point isn't that he beat bad teams. It's that he's capable of filling in like a 3rd stringer can... and he did. We don't need to spend assets or scramble for a temporary goaltender. Even if he sucks so bad in his next couple starts, he did relatively well to replace Mrazek.

It's pretty simple to understand.
Sure, but at least Joseph Woll didn't beat himself, which is more than half the battle.

I must say, he gave me the jitters when he left the net, as it was not at all a good look.

On the one hand, he didn't beat the 1978 Montreal Canadiens, but on the other hand he didn't screw it up and he really could not have done much better with the two assignments he's had.

So far, I would say he is a definite "maybe".

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

What it shows is that you need to have patience, and not panic. It's a good thing our management doesn't panic the way some fans do.

Certainly our team D was very good in support of Woll last night.. that can only improve our fortunes down the road.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I'm glad you're not managing the Leafs.

They don't need that type of knee-jerk reaction.

I think they have a pretty good idea of what they have, and if they're wrong they should at least follow a better process to figure that out.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

At least with Marazek he has the injury excuse and he at least has a win he has contributed something it's not much but it's something.

Another Hot take. I'm by no means a fan of Ritchie, but he created the second goal last night.

Hutton didn't want to go into the corner hard with Ritchie, after Ritchie had already hammered him once... played D weakly, and it allowed Ritchie to tip the puck to Kampf, to pass it to Kase, and then we are up 2-0. We need Ritchie to play that way, and he needs to play that way.. playing hard and physical will open up the game for him.

Not that Ritchie has been very good most of the season... but if he can play like he did last night, that's a positive direction. Three hits last night, 46 on the season... we need someone who can play this way...

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Another Hot take. I'm by no means a fan of Ritchie, but he created the second goal last night.

Hutton didn't want to go into the corner hard with Ritchie, after Ritchie had already hammered him once... played D weakly, and it allowed Ritchie to tip the puck to Kampf, to pass it to Kase, and then we are up 2-0. We need Ritchie to play that way, and he needs to play that way.. playing hard and physical will open up the game for him.

Not that Ritchie has been very good most of the season... but if he can play like he did last night, that's a positive direction. Three hits last night, 46 on the season... we need someone who can play this way...

I don't think that's a hot take, I wasn't expecting 30 goals from him but I also wasn't expecting him to have 0 after 20 games.

People say say the Leafs can't score and while the big 4's numbers are slightly down, a lot of that narrative is because Nick Ritchie has 0 goals.

That dude could have 5 or 6 right now and if he did nobody would be talking how the Leafs can't score

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I don't think that's a hot take, I wasn't expecting 30 goals from him but I also wasn't expecting him to have 0 after 20 games.

People say say the Leafs can't score and while the big 4's numbers are slightly down, a lot of that narrative is because Nick Ritchie has 0 goals.

That dude could have 5 or 6 right now and if he did nobody would be talking how the Leafs can't score

Relax and enjoy the process and the entertainment, instead of perpetually looking at the negative sides, with hot takes, panics and grandiose exaggerated statements. He hasn’t be useless, he played well last night. Overall he hasn’t had a good season.

I guarantee they are looking at replays with him from last night… see you hammer someone, they back off when you are coming down on them, we score. Now do that ALL the time. Our team is otherwise too soft to panic bail on him already.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Relax and enjoy the process and the entertainment, instead of perpetually looking at the negative sides, with hot takes, panics and grandiose exaggerated statements. He hasn’t be useless, he played well last night. Overall he hasn’t had a good season.

I guarantee they are looking at replays with him from last night… see you hammer someone, they back off when you are coming down on them, we score. Now do that ALL the time. Our team is otherwise too soft to panic bail on him already.

0 goals in 20 games isn't a hot take and it isn't be "negative" It's reality.

The reality is he's not doing enough

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
0 goals in 20 games isn't a hot take and it isn't be "negative" It's reality.

The reality is he's not doing enough

This is a hot take, reactionary statement.

We need a player of his size, physicality to work out. Patience young gun.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
This is a hot take, reactionary statement.

We need a player of his size, physicality to work out. Patience young gun.

We absolutely need a player of his size to work out but he hasn't.

You are in denail about Nick Ritchie you want him to be good so badly that you have convinced yourself that despite the fact that he has 0 goals in 20 games that that's OK and he's been good enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad