Speculation: Do the Leafs need a temporary goalie?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Most are going to say no right off the bat but I'm not so sure.

As it stand Marazek iw out until December, Hutch is travelling with the Marlies and so that means as of now Joseph Woll is scheduled to start vs Buffalo on Saturday unless Keefe loses his mind and starts him Friday against Calgary which would be downright stupid.

Even assuming Woll is starting vs Buffalo I'm not sure you can do that.

I know it's just Buffalo but Woll's AHL numbers are garbage I'm not sure putting him in an NHL game is a good idea even against Buffalo.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
There’s 3 b2b situations during the 4 week timeline for mrazek recovery (I think it’s still 3 if you push it to 5 weeks) we can survive playing hutch or seeing what we have in Woll 3x this early on.
Edit: there are 4 b2b between now and December 18-19. That’s totally manageable and gives plenty of time to mrazek to recover.

Reactions: banks and vpasla1

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Hopefully not. I wouldn't at all state that the Campbell/Mrazek tandem was intended to be primarily for the back-to-back scenarios though. Have to hope that Woll/Hutchinson can step in when needed and that Campbell can shoulder the load until Mrazek is ready to return. Hopefully a cleaner bill of health follows for Mrazek.

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

As it stand Marazek iw out until December, Hutch is travelling with the Marlies and so that means as of now Joseph Woll is scheduled to start vs Buffalo on Saturday unless Keefe loses his mind and starts him Friday against Calgary which would be downright stupid.

I know it's just Buffalo but Woll's AHL numbers are garbage I'm not sure putting him in an NHL game is a good idea even against Buffalo.

Do we know for certain they won't call up Hutchinson for that game?

Reactions: banks

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004

they need a better than Hutch (who should never skate on NHL ice again) that ideally would be a youngster with starting potential that is 2-3 years from taking over the #1 spot, so, can fill in for a short period, but, not hamper his growth.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
they need a better than Hutch (who should never skate on NHL ice again) that ideally would be a youngster with starting potential that is 2-3 years from taking over the #1 spot, so, can fill in for a short period, but, not hamper his growth.
Goalies that are better than hutch cost more than league min, and don’t pass waivers.
There’s 4 b2b between now and the first week of January (Jan 5/6 is a b2b) we can manage giving hutch and or woll 4 looks in the next 6 weeks

Reactions: banks

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
It is of my opinion that the reason goalies are voodoo in how you never know of they are going to work out is because they never get a chance to try. The reason European goalies are the ones turning out is simply because they are getting quality experience against the best in the world. KHL 2nd best league in the world, SHL 3rd best in the world. These NA goalies don't get a chance against top competition until they do, and at that point they have to swim or their done.

Reactions: Havoc

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
NOOOOO you never know what you have till you bring them up and let them have a go

you have to take in to consideration the team the marlies have been since he went pro. this isn't the powerhouse marlies of a few years back. this is a lackluster group. beyond a few decent prospects.

we survived the gong show of hutch to be able to handle a game or 2 from rookies

Reactions: Fat Ryan

horner

May 22, 2007
We have 5 goaltenders. 1 is injured.
Out of everyone I would trust Scott the most but he is injured.
In the rookie tournament he was really good.
Seemed to be under control and he wasn't moving around alot , very composed.

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
A he's our 4th string

B he's been bad in the AHL that doesn't bode well for NHL success
But being good in the AHL isn't necessarily the gold standard either (*cough* SPARKS! *cough*). Some goalies don't do the AHL well because it's too unpredictable in terms of where guys shoot from and when they shoot. It throws off some goalie's timing and what they've been taught about angles and where they are supposed to be vis a vis the crease. NHL players are much more structured and usually shoot from where they're supposed to, making it easier to set up for the shot. I don't think you can get a gauge on Woll until he actually faces NHL competition in a real game, not an exhibition. I hope he's one of those guys.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It certainly seems like they will need one at some point.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
We should at least see what we have in our prospects before going for an outside hire. At 8-5-1 we can at least give someone a shot at Buffalo and Nashville, neither of whom we're competing with for a playoff spot.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I don’t understand how the goaltending situation was managed at all. They paid Mrazek 3.8 for 3 years while saying Campbell will have the starting role until proven otherwise. Mrazek as advertised has been frequently injured. So I don’t know if we need a temporary goalie now, but rather a starter for next year while also factoring in that Mrazek already makes 3.8 on a cash strapped team. Some of Dubas’ decisions really have me wondering wtf he’s thinking

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I don’t understand how the goaltending situation was managed at all. They paid Mrazek 3.8 for 3 years while saying Campbell will have the starting role until proven otherwise. Mrazek as advertised has been frequently injured. So I don’t know if we need a temporary goalie now, but rather a starter for next year while also factoring in that Mrazek already makes 3.8 on a cash strapped team. Some of Dubas’ decisions really have me wondering wtf he’s thinking
The bolded seems to come up often when discussing Dubas.

Reactions: Brad C and Leafs87

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad