Do the Habs need a heavyweight enforcer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
What did you want him to do jump off the bench?

Orr was kicked out for 12 minutes and McLaren for 5 minutes at 15:01. There was no reason for him to fight before that.

wait, you think Moen would fight Orr or Mclaren?:laugh:

radicalcenter

Feb 10, 2013
What did you want him to do jump off the bench?.

To be honest, yes. But I know it's never going to happen because it's not his style. That's why I want an heavyweight on this team. I might be saying **** but I'm not sure Macyntire, Kassian or Bordeleau would have stayed on the bench when Gorges was getting laughed at in front million of people.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Nokoleinen and Armstrong

Naming names is not providing solutions. You have one guy that's hurt long-term and another who was just signed as a UFA and has played 10 games with the team so far. In theory these may be obvious choices but practically, it's highly unlikely that either of them gets moved in the immediate future.

So...next?

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
Naming names is not providing solutions. You have one guy that's hurt long-term and another who was just signed as a UFA and has played 10 games with the team so far. In theory these may be obvious choices but practically, it's highly unlikely that either of them gets moved in the immediate future.

So...next?

they have to make decision. It will be Armstrong or Eller, Moen in a trade. Beside that, I don't see realistic option. Maybe trade Kaberle or Weber?

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
So nobody takes runs or dirty hits at Bruin players? You should tell Marchand and Bregeron that.

Again, you cite the exceptions not the rule. Freak things happen in a high paced game, injuries to other players on teams with tough guys does not negate the fact that they can be useful.

No offense, but your perception of what a tough guy can nd should be able to do is out in left field.

Has anyone every been in a car accident with their seat belt on and still got hurt? Does that mean seat belts don't prevent injuries?

What about helmets? People still get concussions, omgz, helmets don't work, we should get rid of them.

What about smokers? Some never get cancer, does that mean smoking doesn't cause cancer? Of course not, but not smoking can increase the probability in your favor.

No one can measure what accidents are prevented by having an enforcer, or what wear and tear they may prevent over a long season, accumulative wear and tear is huge, even if it doesn't result in an acute injury. Having tough guys helps alleviate some of that pressure.

Citing injuries to key players and saying "look they had tough guys and they were still hurt, therefore tough guys are useless" is a disingenuous argument. Just because you don't see it and can't measure it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Drunk World Order

Jun 22, 2003
Toronto
How bout this idea...

Trade Weber and Armstrong or pick

to

Islanders

for

Carkner and Martin

Carkner is a legit heavy weight and can cycle in and out of the lineup and Martin is in the mode of a prust just a bit bigger...would add some sandpaper to our lineup for sure.

Weber goes to islanders and can be mentored by streit and probably comes back to haunt us. but we address a need. Also Islanders have Finley and Boulton who can hold there own!

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
How bout this idea...

to

Islanders

for

Carkner and Martin

Carkner is a legit heavy weight and can cycle in and out of the lineup and Martin is in the mode of a prust just a bit bigger...would add some sandpaper to our lineup for sure.

Weber goes to islanders and can be mentored by streit and probably comes back to haunt us. but we address a need. Also Islanders have Finley and Boulton who can hold there own!

Done for me.

Habtchum*

Team toughness is far from being only good on paper, and having a heavyweight enforcer will not make this team ''tougher''. I thought people would of understand that given the decline of the enforcers in the league.

People react way too much to only one game. The Canadiens have been out-hitting the opposition since the beginning of the season.

Yes it will. Go around that dressing room and ask off the record if they would like to have an enforcer around. I am 90% sure they would be glad to have one. Therrien would be.

If you take Emelin out of the equation, they don't hit that much. And certainly not heavy hits.

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
I got the fights confused, but Mcquaid is far from a feared fighter, taht fight was pretty even until Mcquaid lost his jersey at which point while had little to grab(Rob Ray technique).
Remember this fight I thought the rules were you were ejected from the game if your jersey came off because it was not tied down. I remember mcQuaid playing rest of game so if it was tied he must of weakened the strap to break, no way a jersey comes off that easily.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Again, you cite the exceptions not the rule. Freak things happen in a high paced game, injuries to other players on teams with tough guys does not negate the fact that they can be useful.

No offense, but your perception of what a tough guy can nd should be able to do is out in left field.

Has anyone every been in a car accident with their seat belt on and still got hurt? Does that mean seat belts don't prevent injuries?

What about helmets? People still get concussions, omgz, helmets don't work, we should get rid of them.

What about smokers? Some never get cancer, does that mean smoking doesn't cause cancer? Of course not, but not smoking can increase the probability in your favor.

No one can measure what accidents are prevented by having an enforcer, or what wear and tear they may prevent over a long season, accumulative wear and tear is huge, even if it doesn't result in an acute injury. Having tough guys helps alleviate some of that pressure.

Citing injuries to key players and saying "look they had tough guys and they were still hurt, therefore tough guys are useless" is a disingenuous argument. Just because you don't see it and can't measure it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Gorges "having to fight" McLaren is also a freak thing. No more the "norm" than Grabovsky getting clocked by Prust.

If it was guys looking for fights then guys like Moen White Prust are the main guys.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Remember this fight I thought the rules were you were ejected from the game if your jersey came off because it was not tied down. I remember mcQuaid playing rest of game so if it was tied he must of weakened the strap to break, no way a jersey comes off that easily.

It was a game misconduct at first then changed to only a 10...I think.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
How bout this idea...

to

Islanders

for

Carkner and Martin

Would love Matt Martin, Carkner is awful.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
He's not that bad...but I would use him in a limited role against tougher teams. He can fight and would stick up for his team mates.

And the other team would go right through him. Using one of your 12 forward positions for a pure goon is already a bit iffy when it's one of the real useless ones. Using 1/6 d spots? Ouch.

Drunk World Order

Jun 22, 2003
Toronto
And the other team would go right through him. Using one of your 12 forward positions for a pure goon is already a bit iffy when it's one of the real useless ones. Using 1/6 d spots? Ouch.

I was thinking more along the lines of dressing 7 d men and he gets the rare shift. He can play a bit and and for his carrer is only a minus 2 thats not that bad and he had played in some key situations when with ottawa.

habsroom

May 6, 2009
Canada
Team toughness is far from being only good on paper, and having a heavyweight enforcer will not make this team ''tougher''. I thought people would of understand that given the decline of the enforcers in the league.

People react way too much to only one game. The Canadiens have been out-hitting the opposition since the beginning of the season.

Yes having a heavyweight enforcer will make all the players on the team tougher. Have you watched any hockey this year in the NHL? If so you would have noticed the rise not the decline of fights and enforcers. People should react because we are going to end up losing top players because they are forced into fighting guys like Fraser/Maclaren/Orr.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM

He's not a pure goon, he was drafted in the second round by the Habs. He took a regular shift in Ottawa and was very steady. He's a -2 career wise, so he's dependable. He's not flashy but he's a solid 6th defenseman that brings a toughness that few can match.

K9

Jan 26, 2003
Visit site
To be honest, yes. But I know it's never going to happen because it's not his style. That's why I want an heavyweight on this team. I might be saying **** but I'm not sure Macyntire, Kassian or Bordeleau would have stayed on the bench when Gorges was getting laughed at in front million of people.

Well Kassian just got put on waivers by MIN so...

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Can't see the habs not claiming Kassian, TBH. Unless they've got a trade in the works for Bordeleau.
If somebody goes on IR from tonight's game, or if they already have any trade offer for Kaberle they could just pull the trigger on, I guess there's no harm in claiming Kassian. Elsewise, I vote no thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad