Do the Habs need a heavyweight enforcer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
I'm not against a good one, but I'd rather a Mark Stuart and Ryan Clowe to replace Kaberle/Desharnais.

In a perfect world of course.

Bourque-Plek-Gionta
Pac-Eller-Cole
Clowe-Gally-Gally
Moen-White-Prust
Army

Markov-Emelin
Gorges-Subban
Stuart-Diaz
Bouillon

Bring it!

PYG85

Feb 12, 2013
What about Kassian from Minny, they dont need him with Rupp and Konopka and mtl need an heavyweight. Prust is a good fighter but he's not an heavyweight

Habtchum*

If these guys are just spare parts and play only a handful of games, I would go with real big guys like Steve MacIntyre and Boris Valabik. One could be our 13th/14th forward and the other one our 7th D-Man. Both have NHL experience.

nilan123

Jan 26, 2007
Absolutely they do. After the embarrassment of the leafs game, this should be a no brainer. Toronto took numerous pot shots at us, Orr taking a 50 ft run at Plekanec. Then grabbing Gionta. Fyi this all happened when Prust was thrown out.

Habtchum*

A heavyweight enforcer has always been useless once picked up by Montreal. Yeah, let's use one.

This season (shortened), there is a real dog fight out there. The number of fights has increased significantly since ladst season. It,s utterly competitive and you need to adjust to that. Pruist is not able and won't be able to do the dirty work all by himself. The team is still way too small with guys like Gionta, DD, Gallagher, Plekanec up front, and a D-Corp with no one over 6 ft, except Emelin.

Team toughness is a great concept on paper, and on paper only.

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
If these guys are just spare parts and play only a handful of games, I would go with real big guys like Steve MacIntyre and Boris Valabik. One could be our 13th/14th forward and the other one our 7th D-Man. Both have NHL experience.

I'm down with big Mac. If only for the Leafs and Bruins

canadiensnation

Jun 11, 2011
GTA
A heavyweight enforcer has always been useless once picked up by Montreal. Yeah, let's use one.

Laraque was a fighter, he didn't even know how to play hockey. Couldn't skate or shoot and had zero hockey sense. There are heavyweights that can actually play hockey.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
This season (shortened), there is a real dog fight out there. The number of fights has increased significantly since ladst season. It,s utterly competitive and you need to adjust to that. Pruist is not able and won't be able to do the dirty work all by himself. The team is still way too small with guys like Gionta, DD, Gallagher, Plekanec up front, and a D-Corp with no one over 6 ft, except Emelin.

Team toughness is a great concept on paper, and on paper only.

Team toughness is far from being only good on paper, and having a heavyweight enforcer will not make this team ''tougher''. I thought people would of understand that given the decline of the enforcers in the league.

People react way too much to only one game. The Canadiens have been out-hitting the opposition since the beginning of the season.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
What about Kassian from Minny, they dont need him with Rupp and Konopka and mtl need an heavyweight. Prust is a good fighter but he's not an heavyweight

I asked about Kassian in the previous thread...I have a vague recollection that he looked like The Rocket vs the Habs last year lol

Not sure how he is skating wise or as a hockey player in general...but as someone who was opposed to having a 'goon' dress, I'm starting to wonder if having guys like Prust/Armstrong/Emelin/Subban/Gallagher, guys who can easily get fireworks started against tougher teams, makes the Habs need for a true heavyweight actually legit now?

canadiensnation

Jun 11, 2011
GTA
You say this about Laraque, who scored more than 10 goals in a season and yet you want Mac ? Sounds legit.:laugh:

I would take mac to only play against bos and tor. If you want a real heavyweight that can play then that's a different story.

and laraque only scored 10+ goals once in his early years.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
I asked about Kassian in the previous thread...I have a vague recollection that he looked like The Rocket vs the Habs last year lol

Not sure how he is skating wise or as a hockey player in general...but as someone who was opposed to having a 'goon' dress, I'm starting to wonder if having guys like Prust/Armstrong/Emelin/Subban/Gallagher, guys who can easily get fireworks started against tougher teams, makes the Habs need for a true heavyweight actually legit now?

I think it does, frankly.

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
I truly believe that even with limited ice time, a true heavyweight enforcer can be effective...even sitting on the bench. I think if opposing teams knew that there was someone on the opposite bench that would answer the bell if things got out of hand, it just may be enough to calm things down a little.

You can see the effect of this on guys like Marchand and Campell in Boston with the heavyweights that have on their roster. It gives them a little more guts knowing they have that support behind them, and we are seeing the effects a heavyweight enforcer has in Buffalo as well.

Laraque had that effect when he first joined the Habs until other teams got wind that he wont do anything if you don't engage. He lost his effectiveness to intimidate anybody at that point.

PsychoticHab

May 26, 2012
Ottawa
I've always liked Godard as he will do anything for a teammate but the problem is he decided to retire.

Wonder if it would be possible to convince him out of it.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I think it does, frankly.

Yeah, i'd have to agree...I'd be curious if Matt Kassian will be waived by Minny now. I think he's barely played this year and they've just acquired Rupp.

I know he can fight and he's huge...with the kind of team they've built, it's doing a bit of a disservice to not have this type of player.

PYG85

Feb 12, 2013
Mtl definetely need a true heavyweight, if you look at the north east division there is a lot of heavyweight: Scott, McCormick, Thornton, McQuaid, Lucic, Chara, Neil, Fraser, McLaren and Orr. I love Prust and Moen but they are not heavyweight.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I truly believe that even with limited ice time, a true heavyweight enforcer can be effective...even sitting on the bench. I think if opposing teams knew that there was someone on the opposite bench that would answer the bell if things got out of hand, it just may be enough to calm things down a little.

You can see the effect of this on guys like Marchand and Campell in Boston with the heavyweights that have on their roster. It gives them a little more guts knowing they have that support behind them, and we are seeing the effects a heavyweight enforcer has in Buffalo as well.

Laraque had that effect when he first joined the Habs until other teams got wind that he wont do anything if you don't engage. He lost his effectiveness to intimidate anybody at that point.

Gotta agree with this somewhat...you have to wonder how a guy like Gallagher will continue or be willing to continue to play his style of game, when he has to fight guys much bigger than him?

Same goes for Prust...

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
If we bring in a heavyweight, would it not spell the end for White? Is there room on a team for a goon, plus White, plus Prust? At a certain point aren't we making redundancies?

I'm not being rhetorical, I'd like to know what kind of roster shuffling we'd have to do to accomodate the addition of a heavy like Kassian.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Mtl definetely need a true heavyweight, if you look at the north east division there is a lot of heavyweight: Scott, McCormick, Thornton, McQuaid, Lucic, Chara, Neil, Fraser, McLaren and Orr. I love Prust and Moen but they are not heavyweight.

If Prust and Moen are not heavyweights then neither is Neil or Thornton or Fraser(WTF??) or McCormick(LMAO) or McQuaid(who was spanked by White and weighs like 190lbs). Lucic is a heavyweight but doesn't fight like one, he usually fight either non fighters or smaller guys. Chara barely ever fights, it would be like lising Gill as a Nashville "heavyweight".

It would be nice to have a big monster to pound the crap out of Orr, but the division is not full of "hevyweights".

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
If we bring in a heavyweight, would it not spell the end for White? Is there room on a team for a goon, plus White, plus Prust? At a certain point aren't we making redundancies?

I'm not being rhetorical, I'd like to know what kind of roster shuffling we'd have to do to accomodate the addition of a heavy like Kassian.

I would think white's job would be more at risk than Prust. Prust has actually been productive so far and much less one dimensional as I originally expected. His ice time is actually justified.

He reminds me of a guy like Wendyl Clark. The guy could scrap but show some skill at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad