HF Habs: Do the Habs Have the Best Prospect Pool in the NHL?

Do the Habs have the best prospect pool in the NHL?

• Total voters

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not sure what makes Jayden Struble a better prospect than Josh Brook at this point in time.

But our prospect pool is looking incredibly promising. Gotta love that.

First thing I noticed as well. To be honest, I don't think others know how good Brook is. When other teams talk Habs prospects, he is always the forgotten one it seems.

Reactions: Tyson

Clearedwaivers

Feb 27, 2017
I'm no Bergevin fan at all, but it's only fair for me to give him some credit for turning our prospect pool around so quickly. A couple of years ago, most experts likely would have rated our prospect pool quite poorly.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I'm no Bergevin fan at all, but it's only fair for me to give him some credit for turning our prospect pool around so quickly. A couple of years ago, most experts likely would have rated our prospect pool quite poorly.

A few years ago it was a decent pool and with failure reigning supreme, or prospect pool has improved, which happens whenever you suck, unless you're Edmonton.

Not all of these prospects are going to make it, so Bergevin and co need to identify which and make a quantity for quality trade.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

Yeah, he could have continued to go down path he was in previous 4 drafts but he changed it up a little. Now the pool actually has some interesting pieces.

Reactions: Clearedwaivers

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
1. Suzuki
2. Caufield
3. Poehling
4. Primeau
5. Brook
6. Romanov
7. Ylonen
8. Fleury
9. Struble
10. Olofsson

Makes more sense so me. Not sure who I'd rank higher between Ylonen and Fleury.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

TheFalk

Jul 7, 2011
Going by pure market value id say

Poehling
Suzuki
Caufield
Brook
Romanov
Primeau
Fleury
Ylonen
Struble
Teasdale

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

To be fair, the last couple of years are the ones where Bergevin actually let Timmins go to town at the draft.

Reactions: BLONG7

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Brook > Struble. Button is a clown.

This is why team prospect rankings year to year is a joke. Who knows each teams prospects that well anyways? That's a lot of information to gather and there is usually bias evaluation.

Habs are in the top 5 and until 6 teams show their list and they all trump our prospects, I remain firm on my opinion.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Not sure what makes Jayden Struble a better prospect than Josh Brook at this point in time.

But our prospect pool is looking incredibly promising. Gotta love that.

Button seems very reactionary.

He had Romanov as Montreal's best prospect after the WJC. He also had Suzuki as the 3rd best prospect (now 1st) and Olofsson as their 4th best prospect (now 9th).

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
I was looking at the list of players for the summer camp and I have to admit it is the first time in a decade that I'm impressed at the prospect list. And Romanov or KK are not even part of it.

Usually I was only mildly interested in a top guy or two, like Beaulieu, or McCaron but this year...wow.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
I'd say Suzuki, Caufield, Poehling at F and Brook/Romanov on D are all guys that have first line / first pairing potential.

Then you add in Struble/Norlinder and Ylonen/Fleury with Primeau in nets. It's a well rounded pool at this point. It may be lacking some game-breaking talent, but Caufield and Kotkaniemi have the potential to be real stars.

Under 25 we've got a bevy as well:

1. Kotkaniemi
2. Domi
3. Poehling
4. Suzuki
5. Caufield
6. Drouin

HM: Lehkonen, Ylonen

1. Romanov
2. Mete
3. Brook
4. Juulsen

HM: Fleury, Struble, Norlinder

My point is that we have the pieces to create a pretty special top6 top4 in the future. If we can have one of our D take a big step, or draft a topD next year, I think the rebuild/retool/reset is complete.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Giving MB credit for the past 2 drafts, makes no sense.....it would be like people ripping Timmins for signing Alzner....

Timmins is the guy to credit here...yes he has struggled for a couple of drafts, but not the last 2.

Reactions: Zorba

MC94

May 13, 2018
Button seems very reactionary.

He had Romanov as Montreal's best prospect after the WJC. He also had Suzuki as the 3rd best prospect (now 1st) and Olofsson as their 4th best prospect (now 9th).
Buttons just as smart as a well... button just don't take anything he says very seriously

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I’m going with:
Caufield
Poehling <-> Suzuki
Romanov <->Brook
Ylonen
Struble
Fleury

Not including Primeau because he’s a goalie and Price is no 1 so it’s nit like he’s getting regular game time anytime soon though I think he’s a top tier goalie prospect for sure.

HockeyFan87

Apr 5, 2012
Montreal prospect pool is looking good with guys like Caufield, Suzuki and Poehling among others.

Unfortunately, this team still lacks what this franchise has been lacking since Lafleur left the team in 1985; a franchise forward. A catalyst at the offence who can dictate the pace of the game. I've been following this team for about 24 years now and I wonder if I'll ever see that level of talent in Montreal!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad