HF Habs: Do the Habs Have the Best Prospect Pool in the NHL?

Do the Habs have the best prospect pool in the NHL?

• Total voters

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Price is a huge difference in net. The probability of finding a guy like this who has been one of the best in the world in net for a long time time is rare. I like Primeau but Price was the higher rated prospect. Primeau may turn into a starter but will he a top 10 goalie? Not sure about that one.

But like I said, are we comparing prospect pools pre-NHL or are we comparing a prospect pool to post-NHL?

Pre NHL.

The hype with Latendresse started big timE during his first traiNing camp. People were talking about him as a 50 goal scorer with Beliveau's class. Grabovsky and price starred in winning an ahl championship together, among all price's other accomplishments. Subban was a star at the world juniors and in junior. Yannick weber was putting up big numbers in junior and the A, and was an ahl all star his rookie year. Timmins gushed about McDonagh from the moment he was drafted and even the moment he was traded in not so disguised disgust. He also talked about Paciorrety as the next Erik Cole at the time. Sergei Kostitsyn was on one of the best line in junior hockey and had Carboneau gushing about what a smart hockey player he was at trainning camp. Ak was called an elite talent that fell in the draft to 10th overall because of his epilepsy, which shortly after was said to not be a problem. Emelin was a star at the world juniors that we couldn't wait to bring over. Streit came to the NHL quickly after his drsft year and his talent was evident in his sophomore year, 3 years after being drafted...

It was a really exciting time. Not at all like the 2008 to 2014 pools, which caused many to turn on Timmins. I personally think there was too much emphasis on size and perhaps language with Leblanc. But Timmins seems to be back with the 2015 to 2019 pool, plus the addition of Suzuki via trade. I'm super excited and wish i could fast forward 5 years into the future.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Pre NHL.

The hype with Latendresse started big timE during his first traiNing camp. People were talking about him as a 50 goal scorer with Beliveau's class. Grabovsky and price starred in winning an ahl championship together, among all price's other accomplishments. Subban was a star at the world juniors and in junior. Yannick weber was putting up big numbers in junior and the A, and was an ahl all star his rookie year. Timmins gushed about McDonagh from the moment he was drafted and even the moment he was traded in not so disguised disgust. He also talked about Paciorrety as the next Erik Cole at the time. Sergei Kostitsyn was on one of the best line in junior hockey and had Carboneau gushing about what a smart hockey player he was at trainning camp. Ak was called an elite talent that fell in the draft to 10th overall because of his epilepsy, which shortly after was said to not be a problem. Emelin was a star at the world juniors that we couldn't wait to bring over. Streit came to the NHL quickly after his drsft year and his talent was evident in his sophomore year, 3 years after being drafted...

It was a really exciting time. Not at all like the 2008 to 2014 pools, which caused many to turn on Timmins. I personally think there was too much emphasis on size and perhaps language with Leblanc. But Timmins seems to be back with the 2015 to 2019 pool, plus the addition of Suzuki via trade. I'm super excited and wish i could fast forward 5 years into the future.

We don't see the pre-NHL hype the same. Latendresse to me was hyped like Mete, not like Kotkaniemi. Different levels of hype on grade A guys vs grade B guys.

Just because some over hyped back when, it don't mean the general average hype was the same.

Reactions: Guns n Roses

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Would you think he stands out a bit compared to O'Brien. I would assume his skating is better?
Both are like, really, really, good skaters. Obrien is a bit better of a goalscorer and Pitlick is more of a playmaker/run through your team type of player. Obrien produced a bit better and I think that comes down to his better shooting, I don't exactly remember where I had him last year, I think around 40s too. Both are great, but obviously Obrien is a bit taller and a better shooter, still a terrible pick at 18.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
We don't see the pre-NHL hype the same. Latendresse to me was hyped like Mete, not like Kotkaniemi. Different levels of hype on grade A guys vs grade B guys.

Just because some over hyped back when, it don't mean the general average hype was the same.

I'll just go with my own hype.

I am very hyped about Mete since his post draft performance in Junior and 2nd training camp. I still am hyped about Mete's potential as a valuable top 4 D.

As for Latendresse, I was ver hyped about him and don't consiser it over-hype. I think number 1 his career was wrecked by concussions and he could have been the player he was his first year in Minnesota had he not had all those concussions. I also think he wasn't well developed here. So i see him as a perrenial 30 goal scorer, if healthy, in the old NHL. He wouldn't have lasted into the new NHL, a la Lucic.

At any rate, we're both hyped for this current pool. Without being a historian, it's hard to get better than this. Roy, chelios, lemieux, naslund, svoboda was another special era.

These young forwards domi, drouin, kk, caufield, poehling, suzuki are all under 24. The defense is deep. Price could play until he's 37 to 40. I thought the core of Price, mcdonagh, subban, pacioretty, streit, galchenyuk, and gallagher could contend - think of the rangers series except without us having lost mcdonag and streit for nothing. And this core could definitely ne sble to contend if MB plays his cards right.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'll just go with my own hype.

I am very hyped about Mete since his post draft performance in Junior and 2nd training camp. I still am hyped about Mete's potential as a valuable top 4 D.

As for Latendresse, I was ver hyped about him and don't consiser it over-hype. I think number 1 his career was wrecked by concussions and he could have been the player he was his first year in Minnesota had he not had all those concussions. I also think he wasn't well developed here. So i see him as a perrenial 30 goal scorer, if healthy, in the old NHL. He wouldn't have lasted into the new NHL, a la Lucic.

At any rate, we're both hyped for this current pool. Without being a historian, it's hard to get better than this. Roy, chelios, lemieux, naslund, svoboda was another special era.

These young forwards domi, drouin, kk, caufield, poehling, suzuki are all under 24. The defense is deep. Price could play until he's 37 to 40. I thought the core of Price, mcdonagh, subban, pacioretty, streit, galchenyuk, and gallagher could contend - think of the rangers series except without us having lost mcdonag and streit for nothing. And this core could definitely ne sble to contend if MB plays his cards right.

You will go with your own hype but in the last post you said "some people said he would score 40+ goals". Were you one of those people?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
You will go with your own hype but in the last post you said "some people said he would score 40+ goals". Were you one of those people?

Honestly, I really can't remember putting a number on him. I just liked his combination of hands, size and offensive instincts. Glad he was able to get 25 in 55 games in Minny after 2 in 23 games the same season here.

We'll never truly know how good he could have been because his concussion issues were as severe as they come. I saw an interview with him and he said he tried to play through them at a certain point to keep his place in the lineup. He would play with headaches and in a daze and would vomit in the lockwr room in between periods. Retired very young.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Honestly, I really can't remember putting a number on him. I just liked his combination of hands, size and offensive instincts. Glad he was able to get 25 in 55 games in Minny after 2 in 23 games the same season here.

We'll never truly know how good he could have been because his concussion issues were as severe as they come. I saw an interview with him and he said he tried to play through them at a certain point to keep his place in the lineup. He would play with headaches and in a daze and would vomit in the lockwr room in between periods. Retired very young.

I liked him a lot back when but he is kind of like Armia but produced a bit more offensively. Another name I think that would be similar hype to Latendresse would be Teasdale today. Go look at their age 19 Q seasons. Very similar regular season stats.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
The pool is getting deeper. The quality better. At some point, a franchise player would be fun to have.
We may not have a guaranteed stud in this group but I think Suzuki, Brook, KK and Poehling are pretty likely to be very good players. Those 4 in particular could very well be elite and maybe even franchise players if we get lucky.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
We may not have a guaranteed stud in this group but I think Suzuki, Brook, KK and Poehling are pretty likely to be very good players. Those 4 in particular could very well be elite and maybe even franchise players if we get lucky.

I might be alone in thinking this but I think Caufield is the crown jewel of the org. At the very least I think he has the highest upside. Higher than Suzuki and KK. Again, I could be wrong and that might not be shared by everyone but I think this guy has superstar potential and it's pretty legit. There's question marks of course but they don't seem that worrisome. We'll see. Suzuki and KK might have more well rounded offensive games but neither have that one outstanding trait that CC has.

Reactions: overlords

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
Not even close lmao.
50CC64CC-20BF-4852-8875-D61D20487F08.gif

6E93C7C4-4C74-4F78-A888-F08372DA4361.png

What’s your ranking?

Last edited by a moderator:

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
That a team with the best prospect pool doesnt even have a legit high end prospect.
We don't have a sure fire guy like McDavid or Mathews but we have many A prospects including 2 WJHC MVPs, the OHL playoff MVP, an 18 year old who already has a full NHL season experience and a guy who broke NCAA scoring records.

Reactions: HankyZetts

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I might be alone in thinking this but I think Caufield is the crown jewel of the org. At the very least I think he has the highest upside. Higher than Suzuki and KK. Again, I could be wrong and that might not be shared by everyone but I think this guy has superstar potential and it's pretty legit. There's question marks of course but they don't seem that worrisome. We'll see. Suzuki and KK might have more well rounded offensive games but neither have that one outstanding trait that CC has.
I disagree with him being a better prospect than those other two but he could be very effective on this team given the quality playmakers we have. We'll need to surround him well but if we do he could be an integral part of the future.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
What is the point of this thread anyhow? Ten years from now are we going to look back and say wow we had the best prospect pool in 2019. The only way that will happen is if we win a few championships with the aforementioned. Not liking the odds with no franchise player on the horizon.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
We don't have a sure fire guy like McDavid or Mathews but we have many A prospects including 2 WJHC MVPs, the OHL playoff MVP, an 18 year old who already has a full NHL season experience and a guy who broke NCAA scoring records.
Hey that's great, you asked why I laughed.
Looking forward to seeing what all those guys will do in the NHL.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Ya..my point.
Poehling won WJC MVP.
Romanov won WJC best D.
Brook finished 2nd in CHL (Shouldve won) for best D.
Suzuki was the best player in the POs.
Caufield is a multiple goalscoring record holder.

No one has a top group that deep.

I personally have Josh Brook at 13 on my list of top prospect.

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Poehling won WJC MVP.
Romanov won WJC best D.

That's great, let's see how that translates to what matters.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Poehling won WJC MVP.
Romanov won WJC best D.

I personally have Josh Brook at 13 on my list of top prospect.
NYR have Kakko, Kravtsov + a bunch of former first rounders and Fox. I don't think we have a better pool than them due to their elite 1-2 punch. Same for COL with Makar and Byram + Newhook among some others.

Reactions: Andrei79

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->