Do the Canucks make the playoffs in the 2019-2020 season? (#383)

Canucks: playoff team?

• Total voters

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Hahaha. Right, horvat developing is becuase of a 4th line plug like dorsett and a "good old school coach" in desjardins....shill some more.

The players on NTCs were all good players who got NTCs as a result of taking lower cap hits. That's how the team was so dominant in 2011. Benning instead gives out NTCs like candy to players who are waiver fodder, and he hands out term and AAV on top of his NTCs.

Gillis built the most dominant team in canuck franchise history. He turned around a team that missed the playoffs 2 of the last 3 years into the second most dominant team in the cap era. Benning will be the GM responsible for the worst stretch in canuck franchise history and will miss the playoffs for the 5th straight year in a row, setting a new franchise record of incompetence.

He saddled this team with ~20 million of bad contracts, the effects of which will be felt by the next GM for years and years, hampering the ability of this team to become competitive in a cap environment.
Gillis mostly inherited the most dominant team in Canuck history..

A year before MG was hired the Canucks were a 105 point team that made it to the second round.

But Gillis.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Agreed...there was no 'rebuild' in 2014.

Don't agree on the 'bumbled' bit...They did their homework on their picks.
There really couldn’t be a rebuild as long as the Sedins were on the team, the two greatest players to wear the jersey. Rightly or not, I can understand trying to stay competitive for as long as they did.
It could have been a PR nightmare had they ripped the team apart and thrown in the towel with the Sedins still playing.

Reactions: Ryan Miller*

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
There really couldn’t be a rebuild as long as the Sedins were on the team, the two greatest players to wear the jersey. Rightly or not, I can understand trying to stay competitive for as long as they did.
It could have been a PR nightmare had they ripped the team apart and thrown in the towel with the Sedins still playing.

While the twins were here in their last few seasons, the team was the worst in the NHL lost most of the core players from Bieksa,Hamhuis, Kesler, Burrows, Hansen, but yeah couldn't do a rebuild...

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Benning had nothing to do with pettersson and all the credit goes to brackett, gradin, and even ron delorme. I give him credit for realizing that he is an idiot and deferring to better people in the organization when it comes to the amateur draft.

Could've sworn this was the playoffs thread...but I'll bite. So does benning wear the juolevi pick, but gets absolved of all credit for EP?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
If you present a one-sided view, the only response for the logical person is to present the other side. That doesn't make them one-sided, just neutral and rational.

No, the logical response is to represent all sides. What you are choosing to do comes off as one-sided and biased in its own right. It's not better, neutral or rational.

At the same time, its also self-defeating.

Reactions: Pavel96

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
This is the Playoff Projection thread. Let's get back on topic.

Thank you :nod:

I say we miss. But I honestly like our lineup this year. Roussel will be missed though. On that note, We have to remain uncharacteristically healthy, especially our top guys. The rest of the lineup has more depth to absorb injuries.

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
Voted playoffs, but only because I think we have like a 5-10% more likely chance at hitting a wildcard slot than missing outright. Still not something I'd bet on.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
I think they'll make it. They'll have a strong first 3/4 of a season, then fall off and suffer injuries down the stretch - with nothing coming from the farm. They'll just barely hold onto the 8th seed, then get anihilated in 4 games as Sutter leads in icetime. Multiple players will be rehabbing during the offseason, instead of training. Then they'll give Tampa a mid-teens first round pick, and it's back to the gutter the next season.

Yay Benning.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
I think they'll make it. They'll have a strong first 3/4 of a season, then fall off and suffer injuries down the stretch - with nothing coming from the farm. They'll just barely hold onto the 8th seed, then get anihilated in 4 games as Sutter leads in icetime. Multiple players will be rehabbing during the offseason, instead of training. Then they'll give Tampa a mid-teens first round pick, and it's back to the gutter the next season.

Yay Benning.
But he will have gotten the Canucks into the playoffs. So that will prove that he is the best GM in history. Nothing else matters, apparently.

Reactions: daddyohsix

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
While the twins were here in their last few seasons, the team was the worst in the NHL lost most of the core players from Bieksa,Hamhuis, Kesler, Burrows, Hansen, but yeah couldn't do a rebuild...
Sure but those guys were all in a serious decline. I think they attempted a retool in order to,give the Sedins one last go at it. People seriously underestimate the influence the twins had on the makeup of the team (Little things).
I think we’ll make the playoffs.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I believe this team can make the playoffs. We were close last year, well in my opinon, we all those injuries and we miss it by 5 wins, (which can be a lot) losing Tanev and Edler was a blow to us, Horvat losing his best winger in Baertchi halted his production to just 60 points. It's unrealistic to expect nobody gets injured, but lets hope it stays minimal, I think the new additions with Myers and Ferland will help with toughness, Miller is an welcomed addition to our top 6, Benn is a B.C boy, I think we can make it, and I'm tired of seeing us lose and suck.

I wanted Benning not extended at the same time I want the boys to be in the playoffs, I choose playoffs if that's the case.

Last edited:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Just ranked 25th overall in the polls section. Meaning in the confy would be:

Western

Las Vegas
San Jose
Calgary

Central

STLouis
Nashville
Colorado
WC Dallas
WC Winnipeg

9 Chicago
10 Arizona
11 Edmonton
12 Vancouver
13 Ana/Min/LA
14Ana/Min/LA
15Ana/Min/LA

BRUTAL

2020 Stanley Cup Favourite #26

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Look at the things that come out of Buffalo (Ristolainen being ostracized for working too hard, Conn Smythe winner Ryan O'Reilly losing the passion for hockey, Eichel throwing temper tantrums, etc.) or Edmonton (everything). The reason the Canucks have lost so many games over the last 4 years is largely due to injuries and that they didn't draft any players during the Gillis regime that would constitute the 24-29 age group on the team. Benning has done a marvelous job maintaining a positive atmosphere around and within the group through great veterans and some young energy.

Ryan Miller makes another appearance.

Lol. Called it. Do I get a prize?

Given the nature of the playoff format in this league, making the playoffs doesn’t mean a lot. Doing it regularly means your heading in the right direction. We’ve yet to take that first step even yet.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
I think a lot depends on if Boeser re-sign before camp starts, and which Boeser shows up. Missing camp and/or part of the season puts a player behind the 8-ball and affect his whole season (ala Nylander last season). If we see a return of the "rookie-form Boeser" for the whole season, combined with EP, we MIGHT just have enough to squeak into #3 in Pacific (I'm not sold on the Sharks this season).

Whatever happens though for the love of god please don't let Benning be a buyer at the deadline! We can't afford to lose any more picks!!

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
As we know, the Sedins specifically went to management and asked for the team to be horrifically sucky with veteran players, instead of horrifically sucky with youth.

How is this even a serious point of view when the team was nowhere near competitive during their refusal to rebuild?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
As we know, the Sedins specifically went to management and asked for the team to be horrifically sucky with veteran players, instead of horrifically sucky with youth.

How is this even a serious point of view when the team was nowhere near competitive during their refusal to rebuild?
Did the Canucks even use the word rebuild until recently? They said retool, reset, refresh, turn-over, but never rebuild until Linden did just before he left. Now Benning and Aquilini use rebuild in the past tense, like they were doing it all along, and now it’s done. I don’t trust these guys at all.

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
Good thing that Benning promoted the right people to do the job..

And benning deserves full credit for recognizing brackett and promoting him to head of amateur scouting

Gillis mostly inherited the most dominant team in Canuck history..

A year before MG was hired the Canucks were a 105 point team that made it to the second round.

But Gillis.

But Gillis indeed. Nice revision of facts in order to distort reality. The team finished with 88 points when gillis was hired. The team then had three straight seasons of improvement in the standings, going from 88 to 100, 103, 117 points.

Could've sworn this was the playoffs thread...but I'll bite. So does benning wear the juolevi pick, but gets absolved of all credit for EP?

Nope, nice attempt at a strawmen. The amateur scouting staff wears the juolevi pick just as much as they get credit for the EP pick. Amateur scouting barely matters when you are judging a GM's competence. Every single team in the league has its hits and misses at the draft.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria

That’s bs and you know it. The optics of tearing down the team while the twins were thought to still be what they were would have been terrible especially since the Sedins made no secret that they wanted to finish their careers here. Benning went out and got Eriksson in an attempt to have them continue carrying the team on their backs as they had for a decade and the rest is history now.
It was the wrong track to take, Torts had it right but I can understand the aim and motivation of it.
Oops! Forgot this is the playoff thread. We’ll make it.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
That’s bs and you know it. The optics of tearing down the team while the twins were thought to still be what they were would have been terrible especially since the Sedins made no secret that they wanted to finish their careers here. Benning went out and got Eriksson in an attempt to have them continue carrying the team on their backs as they had for a decade and the rest is history now.
It was the wrong track to take, Torts had it right but I can understand the aim and motivation of it.

Pretty sure a large portion of the fans wanted to rebuild. I am going off memory here, but pretty sure places like 1040 had polls and it would always be close to a 50/50 split.

I think here you for sure had more people wanting to rebuild. I was wanting a true-retool which we never really even did.

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006

You know what's more terrible than the optics of rebuilding even though we have the sedins? Telling the fans that they can quickly turn things around and become an elite team and ending up with one of the worst teams in the entire NHL.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
But Gillis indeed. Nice revision of facts in order to distort reality. The team finished with 88 points when gillis was hired. The team then had three straight seasons of improvement in the standings, going from 88 to 100, 103, 117 points.

My bad, ...2006-07..The Canucks finished with 105 points, and made it to the 2nd round (against the Ducks,where Luongo almost shit his pants)...The following season, their D got completely decimated by injuries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad