Do the Canucks make the playoffs in the 2019-2020 season? (#383)

Canucks: playoff team?

• Total voters

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Yes. They sucked. And we got top picks out of it. Cest la vie. Playoffs talk?

Casue if we planned to rebuild we could have a much better now... and future?
Jumping into the conversation based on the last few CGY posts.. (so apologies if I'm being redundant)....

Cgy had at least 6 players have careers yrs last yr... and they were big years.

I see zero chance of them matching that production next yr.

But everyone keeps predicting that we are going to see career years from all of our new guys... plus Peterson... and Brock!

Reactions: rypper

forty47seven

May 2, 2009
Jumping into the conversation based on the last few CGY posts.. (so apologies if I'm being redundant)....

Cgy had at least 6 players have careers yrs last yr... and they were big years.

I see zero chance of them matching that production next yr.

Giordano was two points away from doubling his totals from the year before. He bested his previous career high by 18. All at the tender age of 35... There's no way he comes close to that next year. Same story for Lindholm. He nearly double his 17-18 totals. I think he's good candidate to be this year's William Karlsson.

Monahan and Gaudreau though are entering what should be their prime year. I wouldn't expect them to significantly drop off. Gaudreau in particular, it wouldn't be surprising to see him cracked 100 at some point.

I still think Calgary and Vegas are the teams to beat in the Pacific. If the Canucks are going to supplant one of last years top seeds, it's going to be San Jose.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
It's gonna be really hard to make traction.

Oilers and Kings are really bad..14th and 15th

Wild Ducks Coyotes just dont have the horses right now 11- 13

Jets i think are the team that falls hard losing Tanev Trouba Myers Chiarot Lemieux and Hayes is gonna hurt and some issues were already coming to fruition last year....10th

Predators and Knights are stacked...........Division winners

Blues Stars are rock solid to return .......2 and 3 central

Avalanche Sharks should be in but are not particularly deep...a key injury or 2 and they could fall out.

Flames Canucks Hawks duel it out for the remaining 2 spots

Reactions: Hockey Rush

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Combined trio of Monahan gaudreau and lindholm should be close enough to their average points next season to make no difference.
I can't see gio repeating, but brodie could have a better season and Talbot should be better than Smith.

Calgary should be a playoff team easily and ahead of Vancouver.

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
It's gonna be really hard to make traction.

Oilers and Kings are really bad..14th and 15th

Wild Ducks Coyotes just dont have the horses right now 11- 13

Jets i think are the team that falls hard losing Tanev Trouba Myers Chiarot Lemieux and Hayes is gonna hurt and some issues were already coming to fruition last year....10th

Predators and Knights are stacked...........Division winners

Blues Stars are rock solid to return .......2 and 3 central

Avalanche Sharks should be in but are not particularly deep...a key injury or 2 and they could fall out.

Flames Canucks Hawks duel it out for the remaining 2 spots

I think you said it perfectly. The Aves might still surprise us, especially with their adds. But I see no reason we can't be in the playoff picture. The Sharks kind of handcuffed themselves similar to how the Hawks did when they signed Toews and Kane to those massive contracts. It will require a lot of attention to detail to make them into strong contenders. The sharks have good depth though so they may not be as proficient at scoring but they will still have some potent offence in their top 6. Now they are a more balanced team tho. No more 3 lines of death lol.

Calgary's goaltending and Chicago's aging core limit them this season... I think the Canucks squeek in on the strength of their Top 5 PP.

Chicago's core is definitely getting older. I have been thoroughly impressed with Bowman's ability to get younger in the process. They are quickly amassing a new young core.. if Nylander can become an nhl player in Chicago this could be a formidable team yet. Strome's progression was fantastic to see as a fan of hockey. I just hope they are good enough that we can beat them in the playoffs again one day :D

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
Giordano was two points away from doubling his totals from the year before. He bested his previous career high by 18. All at the tender age of 35... There's no way he comes close to that next year. Same story for Lindholm. He nearly double his 17-18 totals. I think he's good candidate to be this year's William Karlsson.

Monahan and Gaudreau though are entering what should be their prime year. I wouldn't expect them to significantly drop off. Gaudreau in particular, it wouldn't be surprising to see him cracked 100 at some point.

I still think Calgary and Vegas are the teams to beat in the Pacific. If the Canucks are going to supplant one of last years top seeds, it's going to be San Jose.
I like and respect Gio a lot. His age will become a factor if not this coming season then likely the next. I don't see how he can bare the largest offensive responsibility on their D core. The Flames will need someone else to step up as his production dips. Hannifin would be the guy I would be hoping would step up if I was a Flames fan. If Gio falls back down to earth I think these D core's could be very similar in terms of production if Hughes plays half decent in his rookie season. Juolevi could tip the scales in a year or two as well.

The great thing about Pettersson and Boeser compared to Monahan and Gaudreau is the Canucks players are significantly younger. Their development and therefore their production should increase as their age catches up to Calgary's players.

Gaudreau is 26 years of age
Monahan is 24 years of age

Boeser is 22 years of age
Pettersson is 20 years of age

That is a combined 8 years difference in age. At least 5-6 years of NHL experience on top of that. Then consider Gio turning 36 a month into next season on (Oct 3rd) and Vancouver doesn't look that far off.

forty47seven

May 2, 2009
I like and respect Gio a lot. His age will become a factor if not this coming season then likely the next. I don't see how he can bare the largest offensive responsibility on their D core. The Flames will need someone else to step up as his production dips. Hannifin would be the guy I would be hoping would step up if I was a Flames fan. If Gio falls back down to earth I think these D core's could be very similar in terms of production if Hughes plays half decent in his rookie season. Juolevi could tip the scales in a year or two as well.

The great thing about Pettersson and Boeser compared to Monahan and Gaudreau is the Canucks players are significantly younger. Their development and therefore their production should increase as their age catches up to Calgary's players.

Gaudreau is 26 years of age
Monahan is 24 years of age

Boeser is 22 years of age
Pettersson is 20 years of age

That is a combined 8 years difference in age. At least 5-6 years of NHL experience on top of that. Then consider Gio turning 36 a month into next season on (Oct 3rd) and Vancouver doesn't look that far off.

Yeah but that extra experience counts for something. Calgary's duo is at or near their physical peak while being veterans in the league. Gaudreau right now is at the level we all hope Pettersson can get too. Same goes for Boeser compared to Monahan. It's far more likely two of Gaudreau, Monahan and Tkachuk crack 80+ PTS than Pettersson, Boeser and Horvat. The Canucks obviously have the upper hand going forward but we're just talking about next season.

I agree Giordano falls off but he's still better than anyone on the Canucks back end. Edler is nearly as old but not of the same caliber. Gio's not going to repeat on his Norris but still gets something like in the 40-50 PTS range running the Calgary first unit and eating minutes 5vs5. Hughes would have to have a calder worthy season for the Canucks defence to be better.

Reactions: Jimnastic

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Playoffs or not, this current Canucks roster is clearly strongest since the beginning of the Benning era. I'd say their chances of making the playoffs are at least 'realistic', compared to years past where even though they hung around in the playoff race until the all-star break, you knew the bottom would inevitably drop out of the bag. It was always injuries and a sore lack of depth that did them in.

But I think this year they're more than capable of overcoming a rash of injuries. And that're really all it takes to be serious about the playoffs--avoid those disastrous 10-game slides where you only pick up a point or two.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The 2014/2015 team had 100 points and two top ten scorers in the NHL.

That team was clearly better.
That 2014-15 team was a paper tiger. They wracked up a ton of points in the first half and then faded like a beach blanket in the last half of the season. They weren't even a .500 for the last 25 games and of course coughed up a fur ball against Calgary in the first round. Basically the last gasp for the 2011-12 President's Trophy team, and were carried by the Sedins.

This year's team has more talent; more lineup depth; and a far better under-25 core.

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
That 2014-15 team was a paper tiger. They wracked up a ton of points in the first half and then faded like a beach blanket in the last half of the season. They weren't even a .500 for the last 25 games and of course coughed up a fur ball against Calgary in the first round. Basically the last gasp for the 2011-12 President's Trophy team, and were carried by the Sedins.

This year's team has more talent; more lineup depth; and a far better under-25 core.
Yeah if we reached 101 pts in 2015... I don't see how we can't be a playoff team this season. We are significantly better. Unless the league has had its overall skill increase by 30% in 4 years I think we are in decent shape. Well said.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

Incorrect.

hyFS8Gd.png

The team was playing loosey goosey look-at-the-Kassian-and-WD-and-Vey-crap-show hockey until Miller went down with an injury on an eastern roadtrip and Lack took over which... galvanized the team and resulted in a very entertaining and at times dominating playoff push and 101 points.

The 14-15 team had a very skilled and experienced forward line up
  • Hansen found his inner Burrows and Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata turned into Sedin-Sedin-Hansen
  • We had a whole lot of interchangeable middle 6 wingers playing motivated hockey
  • We had Bonez holding down the 2C slot (which meant Vrbata wasn't pouty)
  • We had Richardson holding the 3C slot (and Brad is the effing best)
  • And all of this depth meant Bo was having the time of his life getting the jump on opposing 4th liners.
a decent blue line (except for goddamn Sbisa)
  • Edler-Tanev officially enters 1st pairing mode
  • Hammer made Weber look like a super star (and got his next contract)
  • SBieksa was an utter cluster
And a solid tandem in Miller and Lack.

Unfortunately for everyone that was competent, FAQ had hired an effing clown show management team starring a coach that did not know the first thing about how to coach in the NHL post season who subsequently 1-2-3-4'ed us out of the playoffs against a very very beatable Flames team.

Good thing though because now that Ferland is on OUR roster, we will be invincible!
ZcQqqHR.gif

You should think about reforming your entire argument.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
That 2014-15 team was a paper tiger. They wracked up a ton of points in the first half and then faded like a beach blanket in the last half of the season. They weren't even a .500 for the last 25 games ....

All results below come from 2014-15 Vancouver Canucks Schedule and Results | Hockey-Reference.com.

You write that in the 1st half of the season they racked up a ton of points while in the last half they faded like a beach blanket. Looking at the actual results:

1st 1/2 (Games 1-41) 49 points; pts% .598 (racking up a ton of points???)
2nd 1/2 (Games 42-82) 52 points; pts% .634 (fading like a beach blanket ???)

You write that over their last 25 games they weren't even .500. In fact they were better over their last 25 games than they'd been over the games that preceded that period.

First 57 games 33 wins, 21 losses, 3 OL, 69 pts. pts%=.605
Last 25 games 15 wins, 8 losses, 2 OL, 32 pts, pts%=.640.

As we all know they got blown out by the Flames in the playoffs, but in the regular season they were strong late in the season and in the 1st half of the season, far from being a period in which they racked up points, their results were slightly worse than in the 2nd half.

That 2014-15 team had Daniel (8th in league scoring, 4th in Lady Byng voting, T3 in assists) Henrik (10th in league scoring, 5th in assists) Radim Vrbata (T 35 in league scoring, T 12 in goals,) forwards Hansen, Burrows, Bonino and Higgins (all still effective 2-way forwards that season,) Ryan Miller in goal and Hamhuis, Bieksa and prime Edler and Tanev leading the defence. It may have seemed like the last gasp of the over-the-hill gang and for some it was their last gasp as effective players, but it was a decent team which suffered in comparison with what it had been a few years earlier.

Last edited:

DarrenX

Apr 15, 2014
FWIW the Athletic gives us a 25% of making the playoffs this season, which sounds about right. The most likely outcome is purgatory... another 10OA pick next year, then Tampa gets our 11OA pick next year.... rinse and repeat.

Reactions: lindgren

Canuck709

Sep 21, 2015
This team will make the playoffs. Most deep and talented team the canucks have EVER had.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Calgary's goaltending and Chicago's aging core limit them this season... I think the Canucks squeek in on the strength of their Top 5 PP.

The notion of Chicago's 'aging core' is an odd one.

The only really aging core guy they have is Keith. Seabrook has been a depth player for years now. Kane and Toews are coming off career years and seem to be getting better, if anything.

Guys like Strome, Debrincat, and Gustafsson are their new core and they aren't old at all. Big upgrade in goal, too, with Lehner.

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
They might. Weak division means opportunity. Really depends how our team plays, how the acquisitions pan out.

I can say unequivocally that 2020 is one year I would love to see us in the basement. Jim gets fired, we get a top ten pick, and then turn it around next year under new management in time for 2021s 1st going to Tampa.

The 2020 draft is sick, filth, nasty deep. I’ve been following the draft a long time, and I’m only a casual, but holy shit there’s a lot of great talent available in this next years draft. Lucas Raymond with Pettersson? Bury me in velvet.

I’d be a little disappointed missing out of these guys but it would be exciting seeing the young guys in the playoffs. It all depends. So many unknowns for the Canucks going into this season just in terms of how new pieces perform and how young pieces improve or regress.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad