Do general IQ and hockey IQ correlate?

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
Would have Einstein made a good hockey player? Probably not. Would Gretzky make a good physicist? Definitely not.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Craig Adams is a Harvard graduate. So no, hockey IQ and real life IQ don't correlate.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
high iq in any way or form is not disadvantageous so i say yes it should correlate. my guess is that any nhl player with a high iq has probably a high hockey iq but at the same time, every nhl player with a high hockey iq does not necessary have a high iq. (iam specific talking about nhl/or pros because i assume it takes time to develop hockey iq... which is guaranteed if u have a hockey career)

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Mcdavid was also hyped as being very diligent in his studies; that being said, I don't think there is any major relationship in general between the two.

McDavid strikes me as the smartest of the generational talents. He seems like a legitimately smart dude. Not surprising, as his brother graduated from Ivey, his father is a successful business exec and consultant, and his mom is a HR director. If he weren't in hockey he'd likely be highly successful doing something else.

Gretzky and Crosby seem like they've got above average intelligence. If it weren't for hockey, they'd likely have university degrees, and likely be fairly successful due to their work ethic, but I'm thinking mid-level management. Not likely to be doctors, lawyers, engineers, or executives.

Lemieux I think is fairly average, but also was pretty lazy when he was younger. He'd be working some pretty ordinary job, with limited career growth because he wouldn't apply himself.

Orr I don't know much about.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I believe general iq does correlate

source: Putin is the best player outside of the NHL, and scouting reports say Trump #40 is even better than Orr if he had laced up

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
McDavid strikes me as the smartest of the generational talents. He seems like a legitimately smart dude. Not surprising, as his brother graduated from Ivey, his father is a successful business exec and consultant, and his mom is a HR director. If he weren't in hockey he'd likely be highly successful doing something else.

Gretzky and Crosby seem like they've got above average intelligence. If it weren't for hockey, they'd likely have university degrees, and likely be fairly successful due to their work ethic, but I'm thinking mid-level management. Not likely to be doctors, lawyers, engineers, or executives.

Lemieux I think is fairly average, but also was pretty lazy when he was younger. He'd be working some pretty ordinary job, with limited career growth because he wouldn't apply himself.

I wouldnt usually associate those types of people with high intelligence.

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
There's no correlation. There are good hockey players who are smart and good players that are dumb. There's also the opposite, 4th liners that are tremendously smart and ones that are dumb.

Mark Recchi is a doctor, so is Randy Gregg, guys on the opposite ends of the hockey scoring spectrum.
I think there is something wrong in this post...

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno

You seem to have a very naive idea of correlation between IQ and career achievement. Sure, McDavid would have likely been successful even outside hockey, not because of his IQ but rather because of his parents' cultural and social capital.

Last edited:
Reactions: HugginThePost

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
I don’t know any NHL player’s actual IQ but I can think of some guys that were smart hockey players but dips in real life, and vice versa. Look at Stu Grimson.
Taylor Hall. Skill and hockey sense but not so smart that one

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Brett Hull was a great player, but any time he's on a network show as an analyst I think a monkey is more knowledgeable than he is.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Rangers had a few players who can say, "No. Nope. Absolutely not".

member 157595

Hey now, Murray was a very dependable D-man in his prime!
He was a heck of a lot of fun to be around in college too. Well, from what his peers can remember, anyway. :laugh:

Guy was a refrigerator on skates and moving him off the puck was almost impossible at his peak.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
high iq in any way or form is not disadvantageous so i say yes it should correlate. my guess is that any nhl player with a high iq has probably a high hockey iq but at the same time, every nhl player with a high hockey iq does not necessary have a high iq. (iam specific talking about nhl/or pros because i assume it takes time to develop hockey iq... which is guaranteed if u have a hockey career)

there's said to be a creative sweet spot where 120 is the ideal IQ to have in order to be as innovative/creative as possible.

If that premise is true it would mean someone with 130IQ wouldn't have the vision or creativity to create space or find openings to pass or shoot to like someone with a 120IQ would

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
No relation.

Some people can be very smart across a wide expanse. Others can be really smart in a limited way.

To me, the big thing about hockey smarts is not exactly how hockey smart a player is but how quickly they can process information. Most of the time the simple pay will do just fine. So you don't need to be some sort of hockey savant. And if you are, it does you no good if you can't read and react fast enough.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
No.

Perhaps the greatest hockey IQ in history was Wayne Gretzky. From first-hand reports that I heard (well, one guy who spent an afternoon with Gretzky) his take was that Wayne was very friendly, cheerful, but clearly not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
>> ball hockey
>> high level

giphy.gif
Dude was the best 9 year old on his street. Give him his props.

Reactions: Jacob

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
You think them first, then with repetition the best reactions (the ones that produce best results in your tests) become the "intuition", basically muscle memory. The more experience you have, the better you know where you should be and what you should do in a split second decision because you have taught yourself the best possible reaction.
Not necessarily true. Most NHL players have been playing hockey since they were little kids so they're pretty much all on a level playing field when it comes to repetition and experience yet there are some players that are 15 year vets in the NHL that don't have a hockey IQ as high as 17 year olds playing Juniors.

I noticed the same thing when I played (through college) and really noticed it when I coached high school hockey. I've coached kids that have been playing since they were 3 that couldn't figure out how to get themselves in a passing lane on a PK and then seen other kids that started playing when they were 15 that always seemed to make the right play, even if their skill level wasn't as high as the kid that's been playing for 10 years longer.

I truly believe hockey IQ is something that you either have or you don't just like real life IQ. You can coach up a dumb hockey player to get to an adequate level but he'll never be a top tier thinker on the ice the same way you can tutor a struggling student for years and he'll never be as smart as those kids that don't study for any tests and still manage to break every curve.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad