Do general IQ and hockey IQ correlate?

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
I think the better question might be who are the high hockey IQ players who also have demonstrated a high degree of intelligence outside of hockey, whether in academia or other intellectual pursuits?

My gut is that there aren't many on that list. Hockey IQ has more to do with fast reaction time, quick information processing, and importantly intuition.

Mcdavid was also hyped as being very diligent in his studies; that being said, I don't think there is any major relationship in general between the two.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I think the better question might be who are the high hockey IQ players who also have demonstrated a high degree of intelligence outside of hockey, whether in academia or other intellectual pursuits?

My gut is that there aren't many on that list. Hockey IQ has more to do with fast reaction time, quick information processing, and importantly intuition.

I think, people tend to confuse intellect and education. You don't have to be an academic to be a smart person. To me, guys like Panarin and Malkin are very intelligent human beings, despite being not very educated. And they are very smart on the ice as well. I'd say, Tarasenko and Datsyuk are pretty intelligent as well. Not sure about Ovi, but he at least is not dumb.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
Doug murray and george parros. Do they sound like very good hockey players?

Yes, they are.

Sometimes people seem to forget that even the low-tier NHL-players are excellent hockey players.
"There are about 500 guys that are better than this player ... he sucks at hockey!!!" :shakehead

Reactions: Pouliot

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Gretzky certainly is no great genius outside of the hockey rink.
He'd probably say everyone is smarter than him.

At the very least, we can safely say hockey players are smarter than most soccer players. Out of the pitch, some of them are barely sentient

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I think, people tend to confuse intellect and education. You don't have to be an academic to be s smart person. To me, guys like Panarin and Malkin are very intelligent human beings, despite being not very educated. And they are very smart on the ice as well. I'd say, Tarasenko and Datsyuk are pretty intelligent as well. Not sure about Ovi, but he at least not dumb.

Well part of intellect is the ability to take in knowledge, but I agree people do get it mixed up. However the reality is you need a certain amount of degree to even be able to know educational topics, and it's not an attack on anyone, just the reality.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Hockey IQ is just your hockey "instincts" you only get that from playing and some extent watching A LOT of hockey. You can watch hockey all your life but once you get on the ice everything you know gets flipped upside down because you're playing from a different angle. You need to not only be able to know what YOU need to do, you need to do it at a high speed and you have to be able to predict what 9 other people are gonna do and where everyone is around you.

Real IQ is more about book smarts, hockey IQ is instinct and situational awareness. Some people have it and others don't.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
Maybe a small amount.

You'd have to think about what Hockey IQ *is*. It's mostly making good split second decisions, not being lazy and having good focus. The last two things are probably not correlated to IQ. The first one might have a bit of correlation. Making good split second decisions is a result of being able to watch the game; play the game and being able to just know how situations are going to play out in that split second. I think that's a strong cognitive ability that would correlate at least slightly with the general definition of IQ.

I'm not saying it's a big correlation and I'm not saying it's not possible for a person with a high IQ to have low hockey IQ.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
I thought Jon Scott was a highly educated person, was he not an engineer? I also think hockey IQ is pretty highly dependent on having the actual skill/abilities to do something about what that hockey IQ is telling a person. A person might be the smartest player on the ice but if he's too slow to skate himself into position or doesn't have the stick handling to complete the plays than do people call him a high-IQ player?

Not to get off topic but is player IQ the same as coach IQ? Does it carry over at all once a player retires? It seems like the best coaches tend to be mediocre at best players. Gretzky, although I was youngish as the time, wasn't the best coach and I've heard people say it's because his hockey IQ as a player was so high that he expected the players to be able to see the ice as well as he used to which is almost in impossibility.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Why are people in the thread mistaking IQ for overall intelligence lol.

IQ is so overblown in society being as an ultimate tool for meassuring intelligence when in reality even Stephen Hawking took the time to make fun of IQ tests

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
No

I know a few guys who made the big league and on the ice they often look like Einstein--off the ice they could not tie their shoes

There are people with high IQ who can't do normal everyday tasks.

IQ doesn't meassure most of ur brain's capacity it's just certain aspects, so we see a lot of people with savant autism and aspergers score high on IQ tests

Macbanan

Dec 28, 2013
Uppsala, Sweden
I think having an excellent hockey sense requires at least average intelligence.
I'm sure you all have good examples of good players coming across as dumb or slow but I seriously doubt you could process the game as one of the top players in the world with an intellectual disability.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
No

I know a few guys who made the big league and on the ice they often look like Einstein--off the ice they could not tie their shoes
That has been my experience. I think the mold emanating from the unwashed equipment as they are growing up, mentally stunts them.:nod:

JFHockey

Nov 8, 2014
Calgary
IQ tests typically measure pattern recognition and reasoning skills, but hockey also has high requirements for spatial reasoning and quick thinking, which IQ tests don't really measure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad