Do general IQ and hockey IQ correlate?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I don’t know any NHL player’s actual IQ but I can think of some guys that were smart hockey players but dips in real life, and vice versa. Look at Stu Grimson.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Obviously not. I played ball hockey at a high level. Some of my teammates who had an exceptional hockey IQ on the field were as dumb as a bag of rocks, while others with much less understanding of the game were brighter people in the every day life.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
>> ball hockey
>> high level

giphy.gif

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
sports iq is mostly subconscious. they just "know" where the play is going. int iq is your conscious reasoning abilities.

the exception might be nfl qbs and linebackers but idk. the goat qb was just average on his wonderlic, though he was a lock for the top 2 that year, possibly the easy favorite for first overall so he could have not cared while taking it: while intelligent guys like Colin Kaepernick and Ryan Fitzpatrick are mediocre to terrible.

but there are also questions whether iq is a good measure of conscious reasoning ability, iq also has a strong coorelation to socioeconomic class, esp. older tests which have questions that carry non universal assumptions (sake is to rice what grapes are to:?)

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Certainly doesn't hurt.

The subjectivity around types of intelligence is largely overstated by teachers looking to inspire students and people trying to sell self help books. Reality is, some people are much quicker to pick up concepts than others, and there's generally an overlap. While obviously a lot is from exposure, being able to analyze and read other patterns would obviously help recognizing patterns in a sports game you've played all your life.

sports iq is mostly subconscious. they just "know" where the play is going. int iq is your conscious reasoning abilities.

the exception might be nfl qbs and linebackers but idk. the goat qb was just average on his wonderlic, though he was a lock for the top 2 that year, possibly the easy favorite for first overall so he could have not cared while taking it: while intelligent guys like Colin Kaepernick and Ryan Fitzpatrick are mediocre to terrible.

but there are also questions whether iq is a good measure of conscious reasoning ability, iq also has a strong coorelation to socioeconomic class, esp. older tests which have questions that carry non universal assumptions (sake is to rice what grapes are to:?)

Subconscious instincts are largely framed by pattern recognition skills.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Subconscious instincts are largely framed by pattern recognition skills.

Ehhhh.....

I want to say, in terms of sports, that I agree: but the subconscious is influenced by so many different factors which then all work together that ascribing it to one particular factor isn't a safe bet.

Reactions: glovesave_35

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Or Howe, or Hull. Pat Quinn, OTOH, was never accused of being a hockey genius, and he did alright for himself.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I think the better question might be who are the high hockey IQ players who also have demonstrated a high degree of intelligence outside of hockey, whether in academia or other intellectual pursuits?

My gut is that there aren't many on that list. Hockey IQ has more to do with fast reaction time, quick information processing, and importantly intuition.

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
I would guess that there is a bit of a correlation, but definitely not a strong one.

Also, Douglas Murray was in the league because he was smart and strong. It definitely wasn't the puck skills.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
I dont think so.

The biggest idiot I know is an impact NHL player.

He can barely tie his shoes but he makes more in 1 year than I could dream for in my life

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad