Do European referees suck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Benchwarmer

Apr 9, 2005
England
Macman said:
The Canada-Czech game. Answer the question.

I was clarifying your question.

No I didn't see that game, but I've heard criticism like this before about anything thats not Canadian, so I'm not surprised. Pierre McGuire continuously bashes Europe and it seems that a lot of Canadians simply regurgitate his views.

Petey21

Dec 19, 2003
Sweden
www.geocities.com
What I don't like about the refs (European or not, doesn't matter) is the ones that feel an urge to hand out an equal amount of penalties to both teams, no matter how they play. A team of softies playing a "Broad Street Bully wannabe team" where both teams receive, say about 10 minors each, because the ref thinks it's "fair", compared to giving one team 2 minors and the other 25 minors. And also how one team might be in the danger zone of getting a penalty if the other team has a few straight penalties, just to even it out.

Also I don't like how some of them set a level in the first period where this much is tolerated without getting a penalty, and then changes the level in the next period, and late in the third period he calls nothing, regardless of what's going on in the rink, as he doesn't want to "interfere with the outcome of the game".

These are things I hate with the refs, and while I can't speak for other countries, this seems to be fairly common at least in Sweden (and yes, Swedish refs suck, I've been *****ing at them for years and years now).

The Benchwarmer

Apr 9, 2005
England
Petey21 said:
What I don't like about the refs (European or not, doesn't matter) is the ones that feel an urge to hand out an equal amount of penalties to both teams, no matter how they play. A team of softies playing a "Broad Street Bully wannabe team" where both teams receive, say about 10 minors each, because the ref thinks it's "fair", compared to giving one team 2 minors and the other 25 minors. And also how one team might be in the danger zone of getting a penalty if the other team has a few straight penalties, just to even it out.

Also I don't like how some of them set a level in the first period where this much is tolerated without getting a penalty, and then changes the level in the next period, and late in the third period he calls nothing, regardless of what's going on in the rink, as he doesn't want to "interfere with the outcome of the game".

These are things I hate with the refs, and while I can't speak for other countries, this seems to be fairly common at least in Sweden (and yes, Swedish refs suck, I've been *****ing at them for years and years now).

I think thats a fair assessment of refs in all countries, it certainly happens in the NHL and AHL. During Stanley Cup play offs the commentators would say that you should expect a reasonably equal number of penalties to be called for both sides.

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
Apparently all of these referees from the World U18 Championship suck, except for the canadian of course. :p:

CHARRON, Francis (CAN)
TURCAN, Tomas (CZE)
KADYROV, Rafail (RUS)
THUL, Brian (USA)
KONC, Daniel (SVK)
AWIZUS, Frank (GER)
LEVONEN, Jari (FIN)

Sammy*

Wingmanrob said:
LOL So let me get this straight, you're all commentating on ONE GAME? So a ref has a bad game and you all make a blanket statement that European Refs suck?

Now who's the fool?

Must be nice to be a Canadian ref, they must obviously be perfect during every game, all season long.
It happens much more often than not in International Competition. It just so happens this game was more egriegous (sp) than most.

Sammy*

Kronblom said:
Apparently all of these referees from the World U18 Championship suck, except for the canadian of course. :p:

CHARRON, Francis (CAN)
TURCAN, Tomas (CZE)
KADYROV, Rafail (RUS)
THUL, Brian (USA)
KONC, Daniel (SVK)
AWIZUS, Frank (GER)
LEVONEN, Jari (FIN)
No, the American was probably pretty good. They dont fall for the flopping & diving as much either.:p:

The Benchwarmer

Apr 9, 2005
England
Sammy said:
It happens much more often than not in International Competition. It just so happens this game was more agregous (sp) than most.

So from that statement I'm presuming you dont see European leagues? (I'm not critisizing that either)

A few points worth considering:

Is it ALWAYS the European refs who have bad games?

Dont you think a game outside of the ref's "comfort zone" ie their own league, might add extra presure onto the ref? I mean there's a big difference ref'ing a game when the best players from a country is playing.

Ever thought that maybe their standard of ref-ing is a reflection on their own league? I've heard Swedish ref's will call for anything, that doesn't make them bad, just a different style of officating in a league where the game is played differently.

Is it really a problem if one day you'll be on the receiving end of bad reff'ing but another day be on the right end of it? Would you be complaining if eveything went your teams way?

Ref's are human at the end of the day and they do make mistakes, unless of course they're Canadian ;)

Oh and what does "agregous" mean?

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
Sammy said:
No, the American was probably pretty good. They dont fall for the flopping & diving as much either.:p:
Really? I didn´t know that. :sarcasm:

I recently watched Norway vs. Japan where the french referee took a penalty for diving, even if they called it unsportsmanlike conduct.

Sammy*

Wingmanrob said:
Let me guess.....thats what Pierre McGuire said too?
No, I prefer to make up my own mind based on the evidence before me.

The Benchwarmer

Apr 9, 2005
England
Sammy said:
Btw, egregious means :outrageously bad: bad, blatant, or ridiculous to an extraordinary degree .
I had the spelling wrong the first time (and second). Thats why I corrected it

I did wonder, it didn't look like anything found in the English dictionary, for a moment I thought you didn't like the European spelling of the word, and thought a Canadian version was better! :D

The Benchwarmer

Apr 9, 2005
England
Sammy said:
No, I prefer to make up my own mind based on the evidence before me.

So Sammy, out of curiosity, did you think McGuires appraisal of the World Juniors was spot on? In particular the Canada - Russia final.

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
A thing worth mentioning is that the majority (at least half) of NHL-refs are over 40 years old, there will however only be two +40 year olds in the upcoming World Championships. And if you look at the referees in the swedish league you will notice that only three of them are over 40. They say you get wiser with age, it must be true since Looker is the worst ref on this list...

Thomas Andersson
Born: November 17, 1962 in Gävle, Sweden

Hannu Henriksson
Born: April 18, 1963 in Tampere, Finland

Brent Reiber (SUI)
Born: December 31, 1966 in Lloydminster, Canada

Richard Schutz
Born: January 31, 1967 in Berlin, Germany

Milan Minar
Born: June 5, 1968 in Sumperk, Czechoslovakia

Rudolf Lauff
Born: June 16, 1968 in Kosice, Slovakia

Rob Matsuoka
Born: April 8, 1969 in Calgary, Canada

Vyacheslav Bulanov
Born: September 3, 1970 in Moscow, Soviet Union

Vladimir Sindler
Born: April 6, 1971 in Plzen, Czechoslovakia

Rick Looker
Born: May 1, 1971 in Thief River Falls, USA

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
I just want to throw a word in here.
Many Canadians complain about penalties given for what seem to be legitimate hits when playing in Europe. And, according to a strict interpretation of the rule book they are correct.
But too many "legitimate" hits seem intended to really hurt (read: injure) the opposition player- not just to separate him from the puck but to knock him into next Christmas. Many Canadians feel that this is an integral part of the game.

However, too many players are getting serious injuries these days- especially the concussion-related ones. I think that hits which are "legitimate" but far harder than they really need to be, in my view should be booed and even penalized. Many European refs seem to take a similar view. I (a Canadian) still have a slight disability in my back and regular headaches almost 30 years after taking a "legitimate" hit where I had my head down looking at the puck in my skates and some guy pasted me- but he pasted me far more strongly than he really needed to in order to get me off the puck. I never played competitive hockey (doctor's orders) after that.

Related to this are the various slashes, hacks and whacks (especially the arms and lower legs) which often go uncalled in North America but in fact ARE against the rules. The Euro players are as bad with this as anyone but at least the Euro refs call this stuff. If you've ever outskated some plodder while rushing out of your own zone while the guy gives you a solid whack on the unprotected bit of your forearm to slow you down- well, you know how it can cause injuries and is not conducive to creating exciting, speedy hockey.

Diving, of course, is a different matter. What bothers me about diving is that the player actually gives up fighting for the puck or driving to the net on many diving plays.

Sammy*

Wingmanrob said:
So Sammy, out of curiosity, did you think McGuires appraisal of the World Juniors was spot on? In particular the Canada - Russia final.

I dunno.I cant recall what he said.

Misos Milakos*

Wingmanrob said:

Dont recall what he said exactly either, but I'm willing to bet it was spot on. Most of what he has to say is, the truth just hurts sometimes.

Rogalo

Sep 9, 2004
Copenhagen
Sammy said:
No actually it was.
Nice try there Sonny.And you didnt see Canadians whining about it like little school girls.

Whine about what? You had nothing to whine about in the first place. Kind of lost you there Skip :dunno:

BCCHL inactive

Sammy said:
Until you see that game & what people are commenting on you should keep your mouth shut les you look like a bigger fool.
If you saw the game, I suspect if you are even the least bit objective you would agree with the commentary here & by Mcguire

I watched the Canada-Russia game, and McGuire hammered the Russian players for diving. Fair enough. However, when a Canadian player dove to get the call, McGuire called the Canadian player smart for doing so.

If that's not biased commentary, I don't know what is.

espo*

The reffing actually was'nt that bad after the first period.I don't know if the guy reads hfboards or not but by mid-way through the second he had seen enough from the Czech players and told them to get their act together with the diving and fake injuries or he would be penalising them.The ref was'nt the problem so much yesterday it was the Czech players,they were embarrasing the game itself.To his credit the ref got it together somewhat but if he had'nt the Czechs may have ripped off a game they had no business winning by getting one too many opportuinites on the pp.Luckily it did'nt happen.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
The stickwork that Canada was doing against the Czechs was terrible. I think the Czechs were embelishing...but why not? You don't have to take spears in the kidney standing up.
Canada was embarassing to watch,I hope our coach can get past the diving and remind our Canadian boys they are NHL prospects....so they should play with hustle and respect for their opponents...ALL the dives I saw yesterday,were on obvious and even dangerous hax'...and there is nothing wrong with taking a fall...when your getting fouled as extremely as the Czechs were.

espo*

I'll assume you did'nt watch the game then.No need to lend moral support to that Czech team that played yesterday,they don't deserve it.
Even if we lose tommorow it will be refreshing to play the American team because i know i won't have to put up with watching that garbage every shift.

Last edited by a moderator:

Misos Milakos*

Van said:
I watched the Canada-Russia game, and McGuire hammered the Russian players for diving. Fair enough. However, when a Canadian player dove to get the call, McGuire called the Canadian player smart for doing so.

If that's not biased commentary, I don't know what is.

Yeah, I'm sure Pierre said, "look at that dive, what a smart play by the Canadian". Sure bud...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad