Do European referees suck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
mikkoz said:
Lets make a new thread about Alex Dell under a topic.
Sweden - Finland why was the game stopped?

Which game specifically are you refering to?

missK

Aug 1, 2002
Lightning country
Visit site
Thunderstruck said:
NHL refs are far worse when they abdicate their duties, swallow the whistle and "let the players decide the game." The effect is simply to punish skill and reward cheating.

Enforce the rules and if at the end of the game one team has committed the majority of the fouls, they should get the majority of the penalties.

Until we remove the neanderthal element from NA hockey who support the situational application of the rulebook, you'll always have bushleague officiating in NA.

:handclap: Thank you Thunderstruck!

mikkoz

May 9, 2003
now, here!
Riddarn said:
Which game specifically are you refering to?
WC 1998 I think it was the second final game, and it would of tied the "series". It was funny that only one goal was scored in two finals. Ville Peltonen put it in the net but Alex decided to whisle just before it was in without any reason. So Sweden won the first game 1-0 and the second game ended 0-0 = Sweden won championship.

I think i was more refering to the Sweden - Belarus why wasnt the game stopped thread, and it being quite boring & useless.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

And hoping that there will at least one ok ref this year.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Thunderstruck said:
NHL refs are far worse when they abdicate their duties, swallow the whistle and "let the players decide the game." The effect is simply to punish skill and reward cheating.

Enforce the rules and if at the end of the game one team has committed the majority of the fouls, they should get the majority of the penalties.

Until we remove the neanderthal element from NA hockey who support the situational application of the rulebook, you'll always have bushleague officiating in NA.

I agree to a point, but unfortunately too many European refs equate neanderthal hockey to hitting and that's wrong. They also have absolutely no problem with putting a team two men down for even the slightest infraction and in many cases obvious dives. You got to cut a team a little slack when they're shorthanded and they don't, and it affects the outcome of games. This under-18 tournament is about the worst I've ever seen. You have no idea who's getting a penalty most of the time and it shouldn't be that way.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
mikkoz said:
WC 1998 I think it was the second final game, and it would of tied the "series". It was funny that only one goal was scored in two finals. Ville Peltonen put it in the net but Alex decided to whisle just before it was in without any reason. So Sweden won the first game 1-0 and the second game ended 0-0 = Sweden won championship.

IIRC, the disallowed goal came late in the first game, not in the second. But it would have tied the serie anyway.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
mikkoz said:

Oh I remember those games. That idea of having two final games sure wasn't a very good one.

Oil_slick9416*

after watching the swe-slo game and the 1st period of the russ-cze game i'm changing my position, europeans ref reach a new level of incompetance that is untouched by even the worst NHL refs. IIHF refs are just absurb and should all be fired.

(p.s...i'd jus tlike to add that this russian U-18 should be playing soccer not hockey...holy crap they are wusses with all those dives.)

Oil_slick9416*

Riddarn said:
They can't be fired, because all IIHF refs are amateurs.

then they should never ref again. they are just horrendous.

Misos Milakos*

Thunderstruck said:

I'll assume you are referring to the obstruction. In order to fix the NHL's obstruction problem, you have to get to the root of the problem. In order to get to the root of the problem, you need refs around the world all on the same page, starting at young ages. Players have been able to get to away with the hooking and the holding for such a long time, that they've developed these bad habits, that begin to become instinctive, it becomes natural, they hook and hold without even thinking about it. Bad habits should not be given time to develop, so it should be prevented right from minor hockey, until that is done, you are going to continue to have problems. You dont just allow players to get away with stuff their entire careers and then one day tell them they are no longer allowed to get away this stuff, and expect it to work out the way you want.

For the record, I've heard NHL players like Lecavalier say that the hooking and holding is far worse over in RSL then it is in the NHL if you can believe that, which I certainly can. What good is having a big obstruction crackdown in the NHL if you are constantly having new players come into the league from leagues overseas with the same bad habits, it becomes a never ending cycle. the game then begins to revolve around power plays, which is garbage and not hockey either.

and then when you have guys looking to take dives, that creates a whole new mess. now that I think of it, drop refs all together, have the game played no holds barred, screw the pansy ****, neanderthal all the way.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
RÃ¥dbjer, Henriksson and a couple of more swedish and finnish refs are awful... But most are very very good. Especially russians and czech refs are very fair.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
I love all refs, umpires, goal judges, head linesmen, replay officials, that light that tells you when you have gone to far down the lane at the bowling alley and that guy that watches golf at home and then calls to report a rules violation that he has seen and all his friends tell him what a good thing he did and all the other built in excuses for losing that people have. That said the European refs do suck.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
This year in Europe referees from 7 countries visited in other countries as well. I saw three games with foreign referee and no one of them was bad IMO. Especially Danny Kurmann was great I think.

All European referees of the World Championship except Sindler were in the exchange program.

Misos Milakos*

This is utterly disgraceful. a absolute joke, I cant stress it enough, euro refs suck.

soilwork2004

Nov 18, 2004

wow. czech ref just calls off a goal cause he 'blew his whistle'. sadly there was no reason to blow the whistle and it wasn't heard by anyone.

brutal!

Rogalo

Sep 9, 2004
Copenhagen
soilwork2004 said:
wow. czech ref just calls off a goal cause he 'blew his whistle'. sadly there was no reason to blow the whistle and it wasn't heard by anyone.

brutal!

The ref was not Czech. He was German so stop writing nonsence. The only time I remember an int. tournament game ref from the same country as one of the competing teams was in Nagano 1998 - the semis. And it was Bill McCreary who as you know is CANADIAN :amazed: :amazed: Isn´t that interesting? :biglaugh:

Sammy*

Rogalo said:
The ref was not Czech. He was German so stop writing nonsence. The only time I remember an int. tournament game ref from the same country as one of the competing teams was in Nagano 1998 - the semis. And it was Bill McCreary who as you know is CANADIAN :amazed: :amazed: Isn´t that interesting? :biglaugh:
Whats your point? Wasnt it a well reffed game & Canada lost?

If so, brilliant post. :biglaugh: :biglaugh: Keep it up there Bud.

soilwork2004

Nov 18, 2004

german, czech i dont even care anymore. i just want to watch a game of hockey without the crowd influencing the calls of the ref.

:bow: o'marra

:confused: frolik

:clap: bass

BCCHL inactive

I haven't read anything, but here's my opinion.

European referees don't suck. They're different than what we see over here, and it's because the game is different over there. I don't like the way they call games, but that's how they're trained.

I think the European game needs changing. Watching the Czechs today made me sick as a hockey fan, but the diving is so common over there, and although the odd dive gets called, it's so ingrained in the European game, it's almost seen as normal from all standpoints.

That said, I only ever see the European style when Canada plays international games. I might also be inclined to believe that games involving just European teams aren't so disgusting due to the lack of physical play that a team like Canada or the USA might bring (put a professional European linesman in the NHL, and he'd be in way over his head for the physical play). The Europeans will take a hit, or a love tap with a stick, and they'll fall like they've been shot. The fact that the European referees rarely see the "physical game", they probably go into a "preventative measure" mindset, where they call penalties that we see as simple bodychecks.

Given that European teams don't play that physical style (for the most part), I'd hope "all-Euro" games would be nicer to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->