Do European referees suck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Oil_slick9416 said:
that guy (rick looker) is terrible
I agree. He just blows. IF he will be officiating a SVK game, he wont be treated kindly by our players, after what he did to us.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
12# Peter Bondra said:
But this guy gets me :madfire: :

Rick Looker (USA)

He, in the last semis, made a HORRIBLE call, which cost us the semis. He shouldnt have been allowed to officiate atleast this year. That was just a brutal mistake.

Ooh I totally agree. That Looker guy is one of the worst refs I have ever seen, at that level.

Funny to see Thomas "Kuben" Andersson reffing at something big like this. I've never understood what people saw in that guy, over all the swedish senior refs think that they are much better than they really are and the younger refs have too little confidence to be able to conduct themselves with the authority they need.

Oil_slick9416*

Riddarn said:
Ooh I totally agree. That Looker guy is one of the worst refs I have ever seen, at that level.

Funny to see Thomas "Kuben" Andersson reffing at something big like this. I've never understood what people saw in that guy, over all the swedish senior refs think that they are much better than they really are and the younger refs have too little confidence to be able to conduct themselves with the authority they need.

i think he's there just based on exprience alone. i think he's done like 4 or 5 of them.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
You would think that the IIHF could use NHL refs due to the lockout, could they not? At least for the Canadian and American entries. The best Canadian and American referees are in the NHL.

Oil_slick9416*

Egil said:
You would think that the IIHF could use NHL refs due to the lockout, could they not? At least for the Canadian and American entries. The best Canadian and American referees are in the NHL.

No thank you, because if we win, we'll have our best friend Wilka91 saying how biased the reffing was. plus, i'd rather watch canada be penalized for 20 -30 minutes a game and still win :) :sarcasm:

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Egil said:

Referees don't represent a coutry, but a hockey federation (Brent Reiber, who will represent Switzerland, is a canadian citizen). As the NHL is not affiliated to any national federation, there's no way for NHL refs to get selected for IIHF tournaments.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
Oil_slick9416 said:
players should NEVER EVER dive, it's a disgrace to the game and to themselves. they should always try thier hardest to stay on thier feet and on the puck, no ifs ands or buts.

Players should try their hardest to win the game! If my team scores and wins on the powerplay thanks to my player who did a good dive and the referee was too stupid to see that, than I'm proud of that player! You might think I'm crazy and a disgracefull hockey fan but that's the way it is. I want my team to win. I'm from Europe and I see a lot of football and diving in football is very common thing to do. Nothing special about it. Could be due to that...

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Since I have been watching IIHF tournaments the refs have been horrible. I didn't think they could have got worse after watching the World Juniors but I was wrong. This is my first time watching the Under 18 tournament and these refs are embrassing. The game yesterday with Canada and Russia was one of the worst officated games I have ever seen. They made poor calls going against both teams. It would have been a great game if they would have let the teams play.

It's not just the Europeans refs, it's all of the refs. IIHF really needs to start getting better officials or start telling these guys how to do it properly cause it's becoming a joke.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Egil said:

Referees in IIHF games should be from neutral countries. Why should two countries have the luxury of handpicking which referees they will play under?

Quiet Robert

Feb 3, 2005
I think most refs in general are bad. Sure the officiating in the U18 tournament has been brutal, but have you guys forgotten Kerry Fraser? This pretty boy's more worried about his hair than calling the game.

International tournaments always take time adjusting to. Same with the european leagues. I watched some of the SEL this year and you can tell the game is officiated differently. Cross checks in front of the net aren't tolerated, they are more lax on dives etc...There are bunch of differences, but players just have to adapt, simple as that. I remember seeing Souray get called for slashing when that would have been common place in the NHL.

Players and fans alike have to realize and accept that the games are called differently and adjust accordingly.

The players know what kind of game the ref is going to call so have to stop making stupid mistakes.

In general though, this officiating hasen't been as bad as the NHL. Over the past 5-8 every single NHL referee has been absolutely pathetic and undeserving of their jobs. They try to manage games instead of calling the penalties. So yeah, it sucks being called for roughing on big hit, but it's no worse than NHL officiating.

Edit- Just to add, the officials in these international tournaments make what we in NA deem to be bad calls, and often they are soft, but they're probably taught to call the game a certain way. By the elimination rounds players are used to it and they know what to expect.

By contrast, NHL officials are well trained professionals and still don't get it. Again, all this leveling the calls, non-calls in the 3rd is bush league. You can complain about the U18 refs, and they've been bad, but seriously, NHL officiating in bush league 90% of the year.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
Epsilon said:
Referees in IIHF games should be from neutral countries. Why should two countries have the luxury of handpicking which referees they will play under?

I was talking about the Canadian and American referees for the World Championship. It looks like each country gets 1 referee at the tournament (which is FINE), but the Canadian and American refs should be NHL refs (as they are the best Canadian and American refs). A guy who refs in the WHL is NOT a better referee than guys in the AHL or NHL. Rich Looker refs NCAA hockey. Their is a HUGE difference between WC hockey and WHL/College hockey.

So should all the refs be NHL refs -> NO
Should the Canadian and American ref be NHL refs -> YES

Last edited:

Oil_slick9416*

Quiet Robert said:
I think most refs in general are bad. Sure the officiating in the U18 tournament has been brutal, but have you guys forgotten Kerry Fraser? This pretty boy's more worried about his hair than calling the game.

International tournaments always take time adjusting to. Same with the european leagues. I watched some of the SEL this year and you can tell the game is officiated differently. Cross checks in front of the net aren't tolerated, they are more lax on dives etc...There are bunch of differences, but players just have to adapt, simple as that. I remember seeing Souray get called for slashing when that would have been common place in the NHL.

Players and fans alike have to realize and accept that the games are called differently and adjust accordingly.

The players know what kind of game the ref is going to call so have to stop making stupid mistakes.

In general though, this officiating hasen't been as bad as the NHL. Over the past 5-8 every single NHL referee has been absolutely pathetic and undeserving of their jobs. They try to manage games instead of calling the penalties. So yeah, it sucks being called for roughing on big hit, but it's no worse than NHL officiating.

Edit- Just to add, the officials in these international tournaments make what we in NA deem to be bad calls, and often they are soft, but they're probably taught to call the game a certain way. By the elimination rounds players are used to it and they know what to expect.

By contrast, NHL officials are well trained professionals and still don't get it. Again, all this leveling the calls, non-calls in the 3rd is bush league. You can complain about the U18 refs, and they've been bad, but seriously, NHL officiating in bush league 90% of the year.

you got it backwards, the NHL refs do suck, but they in no way compare to the the refs at that U18 Tournament. by contrast the NHL refs look good..which isn't the case.

and yes even kerry fraser looks good compared to the IIHF refs

Quiet Robert

Feb 3, 2005
Oil_slick9416 said:
you got it backwards, the NHL refs do suck, but they in no way compare to the the refs at that U18 Tournament. by contrast the NHL refs look good..which isn't the case.

and yes even kerry fraser looks good compared to the IIHF refs

I was exagerating a bit but my main point was that, in international tournaments we always hear the same complaints. Usually things are fine by the elimination rounds. For the WC, we'll hear the same complaints, perhaps not to the same extent, but early on people will be saying the same types of things.

Like I said, the players just have to adjust both in the U 18's and they'll probably have to in the WC. This isn't CHL hockey, so I wouldn't expect the refs to call it as such.

Now I agree, the U 18 refs are brutal. But this is a tournament lower than the WJC, I wasen't expecting high class officiating for a few reasons. (But this is lower than what I was expecting) They're not going to allow the stuff that goes on in junior to go on here. That's just not going to happen. They're trying to call it by international rules, but either the refs are inexperienced or incompetent. I still think it should be fine by the time the quarter finals roll around.

I still stand by my statement though, NHL officiating, for the past 5-8 has been bush league. An referee is there to officiate not manage a game. In general, NHL officials, no matter what their experience, are grossly incompetent. To the main point in the thread, I was saying I don't think european officials are, bad, on the contrary, I think NHL officials are worse because they try to manage the game. (Although this U-18 tourney is making me wonder.)

Also, Kerry Fraser looks bad no matter where he goes. :D

Oil_slick9416*

Quiet Robert said:
I was exagerating a bit but my main point was that, in international tournaments we always hear the same complaints. Usually things are fine by the elimination rounds. For the WC, we'll hear the same complaints, perhaps not to the same extent, but early on people will be saying the same types of things.

Like I said, the players just have to adjust both in the U 18's and they'll probably have to in the WC. This isn't CHL hockey, so I wouldn't expect the refs to call it as such.

Now I agree, the U 18 refs are brutal. But this is a tournament lower than the WJC, I wasen't expecting high class officiating for a few reasons. (But this is lower than what I was expecting) They're not going to allow the stuff that goes on in junior to go on here. That's just not going to happen. They're trying to call it by international rules, but either the refs are inexperienced or incompetent. I still think it should be fine by the time the quarter finals roll around.

I still stand by my statement though, NHL officiating, for the past 5-8 has been bush league. An referee is there to officiate not manage a game. In general, NHL officials, no matter what their experience, are grossly incompetent. To the main point in the thread, I was saying I don't think european officials are, bad, on the contrary, I think NHL officials are worse because they try to manage the game. (Although this U-18 tourney is making me wonder.)

Also, Kerry Fraser looks bad no matter where he goes. :D
agreed :D

Oil_slick9416*

Finn said:
nice first post....

i think he joined just say that, i have a friend who joined just to say P-MAC annoyed him during the WJC

Rogalo

Sep 9, 2004
Copenhagen
Misos Milakos said:
European refs absolutely do suck, no doubt about it.

Well, that reminds me. D-man Kubina was fined 200 000 czech crowns for saying the czech refs were corrupted in the semis of the Czech playoffs. He said that guys in the head of the extraliga like Å ulc (the director) should be ashamed of themselves because people love hockey and this (corruption) is an insult to them and the whole sport. Å ulc in return wanted Kubina not to be included in the national team nomination, but Růžička stood his ground...

The truth is that noone knows if Kubina´s allegation is true. There is no proof. BUT the most terrible thing is that i am almost hoping they were payed. Why? THEIR PERFORMANCE WAS SO POOR ON BOTH SIDES THAT I JUST CANNOT BELIEVE THEY ARE ON SUCH A TERRIBLE PROFESIONAL LEVEL...Isn´t that sick? :shakehead
Oh well... :dunno:

SENSible1*

NHL refs are far worse when they abdicate their duties, swallow the whistle and "let the players decide the game." The effect is simply to punish skill and reward cheating.

Enforce the rules and if at the end of the game one team has committed the majority of the fouls, they should get the majority of the penalties.

Until we remove the neanderthal element from NA hockey who support the situational application of the rulebook, you'll always have bushleague officiating in NA.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
The worst ref I have seen in the world championships has to be Alex Dell. I believe he is from the U.S. He was absolutely horrible in every game I have seen from him. But yes, european refs suck in general too. At the moment we have only one referee in finnish league that the players actually like (Jari Levonen). He might have some bad days, but generally a very good ref.

Pekka Lampinen

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
Some referees know what they're doing and some don't. The thing about Dell is that it's unfortunate that he belongs in the former category. I'm led to believe that he perceives himself as some kind of a director rather than a referee.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
IMO most officiating leaves much to be desired. I know it's a difficult job, but that doesn't take away the bad taste in my mouth with most of the games (international or NHL) I watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->