Do European referees suck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
I don´t think so.

Keep in mind that the IIHF and the NHL is different in every way - different style of hockey, different rink size and different rules and interpretations. What may look as a strange call at the World Championships for a North American is not necessarily strange to a European. And of course vice versa if the game is played with NHL-refs, World Cup that is.

The european referees simply do what they are told to do by the IIHF, even if their rule interpretations is unfamiliar to a North American fan, player or coach. They make a bad call sometime but that´s just natural, all referees make errors. But so do the players...

Click here to access the 2004-05 IIHF Rules Emphasis Bulletin!

Updated! 2002-06 IIHF Rule Interpretation Bulletin #1

Click here to access the IIHF Game Officials Handbook!

10 referees named for 2005 IIHF World Championship in Austria

Oil_slick9416*

Kronblom said:
I don´t think so.

Keep in mind that the IIHF and the NHL is different in every way - different style of hockey, different rink size and different rules and interpretations. What may look as a strange call at the World Championships for a North American is not necessarily strange to a European. And of course vice versa if the game is played with NHL-refs, World Cup that is.

The european referees simply do what they are told to do by the IIHF, even if their rule interpretations is unfamiliar to a North American fan, player or coach. They make a bad call sometime but that´s just natural, all referees make errors. But so do the players...

Click here to access the 2004-05 IIHF Rules Emphasis Bulletin!

Updated! 2002-06 IIHF Rule Interpretation Bulletin #1

Click here to access the IIHF Game Officials Handbook!

10 referees named for 2005 IIHF World Championship in Austria

i'm not say all european refs suck, but from what i've seen most do. sure the north american game and european game have different rules and policies (i like the hitting from behind calls, they call it every single time as it should be) but more often than not the european refs eat up and go for the dives than north american refs do. BUT thats not saying north american refs are any better IMO they both suck. they are alot of refs in the NHL that just blow chunks. one thing that european refs lack is CONSISTANCY i think that may be a problem due to the many nationalities of the refs at any given tournament. but i will say this, that finnish ref in U18's is just terrible, horrendous. so many poor calls, not just against canada either.

espo*

Yes,from tournament to tournament some are worse then others of course but that's not saying a lot....they range from can't call a game to save their life to barely passable......that ain't too good.I'm sorry but that's the way it is and always has been since i've been watching international hockey and that's been a while now.Leave out all harping about whether they do or do not have bias against certain National teams....ill leave that out of this.Just focus strictly on how they call the game and anyone from anywhere can see they are incompetent for the most part.They need instruction from the powers that be(iihf perhaps) on how to call a proper hockey game.Really, it is the IIHf's responsibility to get this done and should have been done years ago.I hold that body responsible for the continued oversight.You wonder if they really have the good of the game as their directing conscience on hockey matters.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
That's a stupid question, because a Canadian and an American will say yes, no matter what.

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
Oil_slick9416 said:
one thing that european refs lack is CONSISTANCY i think that may be a problem due to the many nationalities of the refs at any given tournament.
True, that is a problem. A problem we will have to live with I guess. :dunno:

But hey, if you think they will suck at the World Championships. I´ve been watching three games (Norway) from the World Championship Div I Group A - those refs really suck. Quite hilarious actually. :sarcasm:

Oil_slick9416*

wilka91 said:
That's a stupid question, because a Canadian and an American will say yes, no matter what.

why are posting in this thread if you don't answer the question?

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
wilka91 said:
I know, that was just to catch everyone's attention. Maybe the phrase should have been "IIHF referees" instead.

Oil_slick9416*

Kronblom said:
I know, that was just to catch everyone's attention. Maybe the phrase should have been "IIHF referees" instead.

hey, don't forget there is canadian and american refs at these tournaments too, and they do suck.

donelikedinner

Jan 25, 2003
In a house
Visit site
why do european ref's call penalties for legal bodychecks if the person checked is injured or if its a spectacular hit? perhaps someone could show me where intensity is punishable?

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I think referees in international tournaments call too many penalties compared to what I'm used to see in league games during the whole season. As for the Europe vs NA thing, my critic is also directed toward canadian and american referees who officiate in IIHF tournaments. In my opinion, pre-tournament IIHF instructions are more to blame than the refs themselves.

To sum things up, I don't like the way international hockey is officiated and I blame the IIHF for it, not the refs and certainly not their place of birth.

By the way, I just finished reading the closed thread about the U18 worlds and I find the whole arguing ridiculous and childish. I won't support any side because neither is worth supporting, but I'd like to point out to some canadian posters that Europe is made of many coutries not related to each others. It seems to me that some see a Canada-Europe game with a european referee where there is a Canada-Russia game with a german referee who has no reason to feel closer from Russia than from Canada.

Last edited:

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
Besides the occasional silly call on a big hit (but that doesn't happen too often any more), the biggest complaint is that Euro Refs are even more prone to not notice dives than NA refs. It is what seperates the few good football refs (a guy like Colina, for example, rarely falls for dives) to the horrible refs that encourage the run into the box and fall down method of scoring. This ability to not call penalties off of dives is completely lacking in basically every Euro ref I a have seen, and THAT is what makes it so infuriating to watch.

The other major complaint is from the different emphasis placed on different things. Picks off a faceoff are 100% tolerated internationaly, but will get called in the NHL. These are MUCH more minor complaints however, as they simply require an adjustment. Pierre McGuire rarely complains about the different emphasis penalties (like slashing or hiting from behind). Its the DIVES that get him going.

NOTE: Many NA refs (even in the NHL) also fall for dives ALL the time. It is the most difficult skill to master, and only top quality referees are even decent at it.

espo*

wilka91 said:
But what are we supposed to say? i mean, they suck.Nothing we can do.Hey,if any countries fans have no reason to complain about the reffing Europe puts out it should be us since we've won just about every tournament of any consequence lately.I mean,why would we complain? Well, we still complain because we watch a lot of hockey and recognize pathetic reffereing when we see it,we want good hockey and call a spade a spade. You wanna kill good flow in a good hockey game?.....get a European Ref involved.....they are sure to do it.I've seen some who are o.k.....just o.k....that's about it.

espo*

stv11 said:
I think referees in international tournaments call too many penalties compared to what I'm used to see in league games during the whole season. As for the Europe vs NA thing, my critic is also directed toward canadian and american referees who officiate in IIHF tournaments. In my opinion, pre-tournament IIHF instructions are more to blame than the refs themselves.

To sum things up, I don't like the way international hockey is officiated and I blame the IIHF for it, not the refs and certainly not their place of birth.

By the way, I just finished reading the closed thread about the U18 worlds and I find the whole arguing ridiculous and childish. I won't support any side because neither is worth supporting, but I'd like to point out to some canadian posters that Europe is made of many coutries not related to each others. It seems to me that some see a Canada-Europe game with a european referee where there is a Canada-Russia game with a german referee who has no reason to feel closer from a Russia than from Canada.
I don't know if it's childish or not but it's frustrating...they need instruction on game calling...too many calls on too many silly things.Does'nt matter to me if they are from Germany or where ever,they are'nt good,that's it.

Oil_slick9416*

cyclops said:
But what are we supposed to say? i mean, they suck.Nothing we can do.Hey,if any countries fans have no reason to complain about the reffing Europe puts out it should be us since we've won just about every tournament of any consequence lately.I mean,why would we complain? Well, we still complain because we watch a lot of hockey and recognize pathetic reffereing when we see it,we want good hockey and call a spade a spade. You wanna kill good flow in a good hockey game?.....get a European Ref involved.....they are sure to do it.I've seen some who are o.k.....just o.k....that's about it.

the reffing during the womans world championships was just attrocious.

espo*

Oil_slick9416 said:
the reffing during the womans world championships was just attrocious.
It's normally pretty bad there.Both the U.S and Canada have gotten jobbed there but i think that was mostly by north American refs....i think.

Oil_slick9416*

cyclops said:
It's normally pretty bad there.Both the U.S and Canada have gotten jobbed there but i think that was mostly by north American refs....i think.

yah. i think so too, but thats' still the IIHF jurisdiction.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
I agree about the inconcistency during the game.

About diving... I would use the same system like in football (yellow card for diving)! Why does it take so long to make that kind of rule?! 2 minutes minor for diving in hockey! I have nothing against diving. But if you wanna do it then be careful not to do it too often and too obvious because you'll get the penalty. If you dive and get your team a powerplay, good for you and good your team.

Don't you agree? 2 minutes minor. Players would be much more careful when they decide to dive.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
I don't know if they all suck, but most of the ones in the SEL suck. And usually, most of the refs at the Worlds or Olympics suck too, regardless of nationality.

I think it's more a question if Amateur refs are good enough to keep up with professional or elite players of today. I don't think they do in most cases.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
The IIHF has named the following referees:
Thomas Andersson (SWE), Vyacheslav Bulanov (RUS), Hannu Henriksson (FIN), Rudolf Lauff (SVK), Rick Looker (USA), Rob Matsuoka (CAN), Milan Minar (CZE), Brent Reiber (SUI), Richard Schuetz (GER), Vladimir Sindler (CZE)

Thankfully he wont officiate any of our games. He sucks.

But this guy gets me :madfire: :

Rick Looker (USA)

He, in the last semis, made a HORRIBLE call, which cost us the semis. He shouldnt have been allowed to officiate atleast this year. That was just a brutal mistake.

Oil_slick9416*

TORRUS said:

About diving... I would use the same system like in football (yellow card for diving)! Why does it take so long to make that kind of rule?! 2 minutes minor for diving in hockey! I have nothing against diving. But if you wanna do it then be careful not to do it too often and too obvious because you'll get the penalty. If you dive and get your team a powerplay, good for you and good your team.

Don't you agree? 2 minutes minor. Players would be much more careful when they decide to dive.

players should NEVER EVER dive, it's a disgrace to the game and to themselves. they should always try thier hardest to stay on thier feet and on the puck, no ifs ands or buts.

Oil_slick9416*

12# Peter Bondra said:
The IIHF has named the following referees:
Thomas Andersson (SWE), Vyacheslav Bulanov (RUS), Hannu Henriksson (FIN), Rudolf Lauff (SVK), Rick Looker (USA), Rob Matsuoka (CAN), Milan Minar (CZE), Brent Reiber (SUI), Richard Schuetz (GER), Vladimir Sindler (CZE)

Thankfully he wont officiate any of our games. He sucks.

that guy (rick looker) is terrible

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
TORRUS said:

There are 2 minutes for diving, but its rather called:

2 minutes for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad