Prospect Info: Do Canucks fans badly overrate their own prospects?

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
I find that historically Canuck drafting has been so bad that fans overcompensate by overhyping prospects... what choice do we have? Start drinking about the absolute brutal record of drafting and development this franchise has?

Really it boils down to two options for Canucks fans about our drafting, would you rather be delusional and overhype our prospects or would you rather be depressed about the reality and likely future reality of this franchise's drafting record?

In short overhyping prospects is a survival mechanism for Canucks fans.

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
i remember claiming bo horvat will by steve yzerman and was laughed at

2 years later and more points than landeskog. safe to say iam right

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I wouldn't consider Kesler a home run pick. He was the 23rd overall pick from a historic deep draft. One of the deepest ever if not the deepest. We could have drafted Corey Perry, Patrice Bergeron, Shea Weber, and for a short time Mike Richards and none of us here would have said we could of and should of drafted Kesler.

I would even say Schneider and Edler were more home run picks than Kesler.

Well he did specify "with a 1st round pick" so that eliminates Edler.

And ya, Schneider probably counts but he spent so long developing and so little time actually playing here it doesn't feel like he was a "home run" pick for us.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Uhm, that's really not how comparisons work.

If I say Bo Horvat will be Wayne Gretzky I don't get to claim I'm right because he puts up more points than Robert Kron.

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Uhm, that's really not how comparisons work.

If I say Bo Horvat will be Wayne Gretzky I don't get to claim I'm right because he puts up more points than Robert Kron.

considering if bo horvat had mitch marner and mike babcock as pieces closer to him than willie desjardin and jason megna

its safe to say ur comparrison is crap

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
considering if bo horvat had mitch marner and mike babcock as pieces closer to him than willie desjardin and jason megna

its safe to say ur comparrison is crap

Then that would make Mitch Marner the next Yzerman, not Bo.

But feel free to take your Bo = Yzerman comparison over to the main boards and see how that works out for you.

FYI: In his best year, Yzerman scored 62 points more than his best linemate so your excuse that Bo didn't have a great winger is pure crap.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0000341989.html

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
What would make him "ignite" and be the second leading scoring in the NHL?

not having the worst coach in the nhl
not having an AHL line mate staples to his wing.

having best coach in NHL
having best winger in NHL

i donno seems like an easy 30 points

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

What does Landeskog have to do with Yzerman? :laugh:

I told you Brad Richardson was better than Brandon Sutter. A year later Richardson had more points than Michael Chaput. Safe to say I am right.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
And ya, Schneider probably counts but he spent so long developing and so little time actually playing here it doesn't feel like he was a "home run" pick for us.

Schneider didn't spend that much time developing. He was just stuck behind Luongo. Besides, it's not about feelings and he did return a top 10 pick used to select Horvat.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
not having the worst coach in the nhl
not having an AHL line mate staples to his wing.

having best coach in NHL
having best winger in NHL

i donno seems like an easy 30 points

Uhm, Bo didn't play with Megna. He played mainly with Baertschi and Burrows.

Secondly requiring a player to have elite linemates to put up points means the player *probably* isn't elite.

Thirdly Willie was an idiot no doubt, but he didn't stop Bo from putting up 90 points.

Now try making a post that makes sense for a change.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Schneider didn't spend that much time developing. He was just stuck behind Luongo. Besides, it's not about feelings and he did return a top 10 pick used to select Horvat.

Well he did spend 6 years in College and AHL. That's definitely "a long time".

And I agreed that he counted, I was explaining why it doesn't feel that way.

He was a home run pick for us just as much as Cam Neely was.

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Uhm, Bo didn't play with Megna. He played mainly with Baertschi and Burrows.

Secondly requiring a player to have elite linemates to put up points means the player *probably* isn't elite.

Thirdly Willie was an idiot no doubt, but he didn't stop Bo from putting up 90 points.

Now try making a post that makes sense for a change.

i didnt claim he did. i claimed his lack of good coach and elite linemates are what keep him off being the 2nd best player in the nhl today.

he doesnt need marner but anything but megna or dorsett the previous 2 and bo horvat's development is ahead of what it is now.

willie delayed him from hitting 70 points for sure

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
20 picks mean nothing. Besides, I also mentioned Corey Perry who was picked 5 picks later who is undoubtedly the better player.

As for Richards, that's why I said for a short time. In 2007-2008 he had developed into his peak form as a 30 goal point per game #1 C. Even after the 08-09 season, how many wouldn't have traded Kesler for Richards and slap a C on Richards? Of course Richards' decline came early and rather swift, but for a period of time before Kesler developed into a even a 2C Richards was the type of prototypical captain the fanbase here desperately wanted.

20 picks mean nothing when analyzing a draft pick now? OK then. Then you should have mentioned Pavelski taken in the 7th round too.

Richards looked like a better player for a year or two before they were even 25. It's clear as day who is having the far better career at this point.

You are going to some extreme lengths to make a bizarre point that Kesler wasn't a good pick, and it's quite sad.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
i didnt claim he did. i claimed his lack of good coach and elite linemates are what keep him off being the 2nd best player in the nhl today.

he doesnt need marner but anything but megna or dorsett the previous 2 and bo horvat's development is ahead of what it is now.

Is 70 points the bar for 2nd best player in the world? Because the actual 2nd best player in the world hit 100.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Ya I'm done here. Maybe HFBoards needs a kindergarten board where they can swap stories about how the player in their username is the second best player in the league if not for their coach and lack of elite linemates to make them the second best player in the league.

I'm an idiot for having participated in this.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Ya I'm done here. Maybe HFBoards needs a kindergarten board where they can swap stories about how the player in their username is the second best player in the league if not for their coach and lack of elite linemates to make them the second best player in the league.

Suggesting Horvat is the second best player in the NHL is so wrong, so laughable...it had to be a joke right? Right?

Yikes.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Do Canuck fans over-hype their prospects?.....Probably......But when your team has been one of the worst in the NHL for the past two seasons, and is finally, belatedly, embracing a full rebuild, who can blame them?....what else is there to look forward to?

Still, it's interesting to note that two of the guys in the top-10 prospect pool--Dahlen and Goldobin--were deemed expendable by the organizations which drafted them.

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver

The guy has been posting here employing the exact same style for ages now. What on earth were you expecting?

Still, it's interesting to note that two of the guys in the top-10 prospect pool--Dahlen and Goldobin--were deemed expendable by the organizations which drafted them.

It's as interesting as the fact that teams who are in their cup competition window will value veterans more than prospects. Anything short of a can't miss blue-chipper should be available for trade if you think it's the move that takes you from a conference final to a Cup.

And thus far for Ottawa at least it's working out pretty well.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Do Canuck fans over-hype their prospects?.....Probably......But when your team has been one of the worst in the NHL for the past two seasons, and is finally, belatedly, embracing a full rebuild, who can blame them?....what else is there to look forward to?

I don't think you can use that as a negative on them. For teams trying to break through and win the cup, every prospect is usually deemed expendable. Those teams often regret the trades in hindsight but that's not our problem. :P

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Suggesting Horvat is the second best player in the NHL is so wrong, so laughable...it had to be a joke right? Right?

Yikes.

An easy way to look at this would be to give Horvat the linemates of the *actual* best or 2nd best Centre in the NHL.

How many more points would Bo have if he lined up with some combination of elite wingers like Chris Kunitz, Conor Sheary, or Jake Guentzel?

Cause that's what Crosby had to work with this year and he still didn't hit 90 points.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
=
It's as interesting as the fact that teams who are in their cup competition window will value veterans more than prospects. Anything short of a can't miss blue-chipper should be available for trade if you think it's the move that takes you from a conference final to a Cup.
Kind of like how the conditions were under Gillis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad