Prospect Info: Do Canucks fans badly overrate their own prospects?

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I am having this debate with a few people right now, especially on the main boards where they treat Gaudette like a generational talent.

I find the Canucks fanbase does not just overrate their prospects (I say most if not all fanbases do), but the Canucks do it maybe more than any other fanbase in the league (Leafs debate-able).

I remember back when Cole Cassels was a prospect (I feel victim to this also), his hype was absolutely staggering, I remember people him pegging him into the line up the year after, 100% third liner by the 2016 season. Even tho he had god awful skating.

The Canucks have had countless prospects who had rediculous hype, Cody Hodgson, Schroader, remember Jason king and Fedor Fedorov?

So what do you think?, is it the same as every fanbase?, or do we overdue it more?

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
Every fan base does. Every single one. It's shiny new toy syndrome, or whatever you want to call it. They haven't proven you wrong, yet - so you can pin your hopes to them.

I would say we are extremely difficult on certain prospects (Juolevi, Virtanen), and perhaps overly lenient and optimistic about others (Boeser). The truth, as almost always, lies somewhere in the middle. Much like us, collectively.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Every fan base does. Every single one. It's shiny new toy syndrome, or whatever you want to call it. They haven't proven you wrong, yet - so you can pin your hopes to them.

I would say we are extremely difficult on certain prospects (Juolevi, Virtanen), and perhaps overly lenient and optimistic about others (Boeser). The truth, as almost always, lies somewhere in the middle. Much like us, collectively.

Fair post, I think the canucks fanbase need excitement, so defensive style prospects just don't do well for where we are as a fanbase.

That's why juolevi gets such little praise, yet being the best player basically every night in the playoffs this year.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Nobody is treating guadette like a generational talent with the exception of one poster. It simply doesn't make sense to include a good prospect when there is pretty much no separation among the top prospects after Patrick and hischier.

Yes every fan base overrate prospects and you're probably the most guilty of anyone to be honest. I think you get way too over zealous and hype prospects way too much on the world junior and prospect boards. I suggest everyone slow down the hype train on whoever we draft.

Pastor Of Muppets

Jan 19, 2017
I voted 'no'....I think Canuck fans have had a hard dose of reality in the last 5 years..Shinkaruk,Jensen,Fox,Virtanen (maybe),Kassian,Hodgson etc..There's been a lot of disappointments..I think most fans are more than aware of what we have,or haven't got.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Every fanbase laughably overrates their group of prospects in their draft+1 and draft+2 seasons. It's consistently absurd.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I voted same as every other fan base but in reality there are fan bases who are much more realistic than us.

We have posters here who still complain about trading Shinkaruk and Jensen.

Smeagoal

Jun 12, 2015
In my dreams
Yah, I hyped myself on Jensen somehow convincing that he would turn out to be the next Markus Naslund. However, every single fanbase does this, go to HF trade and proposal board. A 'prospect' garters some top-6 F/ top-4 D, it's absurd.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
It happens Ive seen from us and other fans. Its annoying watching the Jets fans in the prospects section always trying to compare there prospects to Leafs prospects or anyone elses. Id say Jets fans are probably the worse Ive ever seen. Ive made mistakes I guess to like most of us did with Olson and Neil thinking theyd make it but I still kinda think letting Neil go was a mistake

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto

Exactly. Many prospects do very well before reaching pro hockey because they're generally top players in whichever league they're drafted out of. It's not until their "draft + 3 seasons" at the earliest where they make the jump to the next level and any glaring flaws in their game get exposed.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
It happens Ive seen from us and other fans. Its annoying watching the Jets fans in the prospects section always trying to compare there prospects to Leafs prospects or anyone elses. Id say Jets fans are probably the worse Ive ever seen. Ive made mistakes I guess to like most of us did with Olson and Neil thinking theyd make it but I still kinda think letting Neil go was a mistake

The Jets have a few pretty fantastic prospects.

Kyle Conner would be either the Canucks top or number two prospect.

I can only think of one poster here that ever overrated Olsen—the same guy that over-hypes Gaudette.

Jets fans are no worse than any other fanbase.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
The Jets have a few pretty fantastic prospects.

Kyle Conner would be either the Canucks top or number two prospect.

I can only think of one poster here that ever overrated Olsen—the same guy that over-hypes Gaudette.

Jets fans are no worse than any other fanbase.

Boeser
Gaudette
Juolevi
Demko
Connor

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Jensen was a boom or bust pick at the time of the draft. He had the talent but he was the type of player whose sum is less than the parts.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

Anyone with any sense of hockey knowledge knew Olson wasn't going to amount to much, especially after watching him this season (which you obviously lacked greatly).

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007
My experience on the main board seems to show that some canucks fans over hype our prospects (like most fan bases do with their team), which is often times met with resistance from other fans bases who genuinely dislike our team and our fans (leafs,Oilers,flames etc). That tends to cause them to overly underrate our prosects, or flat out say they're just terrible, which then causes our fanbase to become even more defensive, resulting in even more overhyping.

It's a vicious cycle.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
My experience on the main board seems to show that some canucks fans over hype our prospects (like most fan bases do with their team), which is often times met with resistance from other fans bases who genuinely dislike our team and our fans (leafs,Oilers,flames etc). That tends to cause them to overly underrate our prosects, or flat out say they're just terrible, which then causes our fanbase to become even more defensive, resulting in even more overhyping.

It's a vicious cycle.

I find it weird how a lot of Canucks fans main boards posters rarely or never post on our boards here. Im not sure if they are alt accounts, trolls, or fanboys but most have terrible opinions that make our fanbase look bad

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
These days, if anything, we seem to be pretty down on our draft picks.

Go to the draft thread, there's people there who hate picks we haven't even made yet.

Maybe they just don't like the picks then?

Hard to be down on someone for being a Canucks prospect when they aren't actually a Canucks prospect, no?

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
The Canucks have had countless prospects who had rediculous hype, Cody Hodgson, Schroader, remember Jason king and Fedor Fedorov?
Weird list of examples. For Hodgson, the hype was 100% justified. Schroeder wasn't all that hyped, people were just excited when he dropped to our late drafting position because he was projected higher.

King and Fedorov weren't hyped at all, particularly as they pre-dated a lot of online hockey discussion where hype largely comes from. I hadn't even heard of King until he was in the lineup, and Fedorov was never high profile, he was just Sergei's brother. Didn't put up big AHL numbers or anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad