Do Boston, Toronto and Tampa repeat as top 3 in Atlantic?

Do Boston, Toronto and Tampa finish top 3 in Atlantic this year (in whatever order)?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Simple question.

Do Boston, Toronto and Tampa repeat as top 3 ranked teams in the Atlantic Division this year? In whatever order.

If you vote for options 2 or 3 - feel free to say who you think bumps them, who gets bumped, and if you feel that the team(s) that get bumped still qualify for playoffs as a wildcard or if they miss playoffs entirely.

Recency bias-being what it is on HF - I expect 80% of people to vote for option 1. I personally will vote option 2. I expect Boston to miss playoffs this year.

Reactions: BTP

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I'm one who think the Leafs might even have a lower point total than last year. Yes they got Tavares, but also lost JVR, Bozak, Komarov, and Polak.
Johnson, Kapanen, Dermot, maybe Borgman will get a chance to play big minutes for the first time. Also rookies Lindholm, Ozhignkov and Sparks might be NHLers too.
Leafs might be better at the end of the season that they were last year, but there might be bumps on the road along the way.
Yes the "Tampa, Boston, Leafs and Panthers make the playoffs.

Reactions: Intact

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Like said above only Florida is a threat on paper, but we can't say anything on injuries right now.

I think assuming teams who were bad last year will be bad again this year just because is wrong.

Both Colorado and Vegas were supposed to be historically bad going into last season. They both did alright for themselves. Even Winnipeg and Boston were assumed by most to be bubble teams at best and both dominated

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I think assuming teams who were bad last year will be bad again this year just because is wrong.

Both Colorado and Vegas were supposed to be historically bad going into last season. They both did alright for themselves. Even Winnipeg and Boston were assumed by most to be bubble teams at best and both dominated

Then posters didn't know much about those teams.

Every year there are surprises but Atlantic has the best top3 in the league, none of them have made moves to get worse, they've only tried to get better and there's some messed up teams in the division.

Colorado wouldn't have matched Toronto/Tampa/Boston in the East.

Last edited:

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I'm one who think the Leafs might even have a lower point total than last year. Yes they got Tavares, but also lost JVR, Bozak, Komarov, and Polak.
Johnson, Kapanen, Dermot, maybe Borgman will get a chance to play big minutes for the first time. Also rookies Lindholm, Ozhignkov and Sparks might be NHLers too.
Leafs might be better at the end of the season that they were last year, but there might be bumps on the road along the way.
Yes the "Tampa, Boston, Leafs and Panthers make the playoffs.

Well, losing Komarov and Polak is a gigantic plus. Also, losing Bozak/JVR means that no line in our top-9 needs to be fed sheltered offensive minutes all game.

Losing everyone of those guys is probably a net plus besides JVR.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Well, losing Komarov and Polak is a gigantic plus. Also, losing Bozak/JVR means that no line in our top-9 needs to be fed sheltered offensive minutes all game.

JVR was +1 last year. As long as Johnsson doesn't suck 5-on5 we won't need to hide him on offensive zone faceoffs

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron

I know folks had a love/hate relationship with Polak. But who takes his place? Carrick who sat most of the year, or career AHLer Holl new to North America, Ozhinikov. Leafs are hoping that someone is a competent NHLer. Think the Leaf will make a trade for Dman late in the season after non contenders become sellers closer to TDL.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
1. Tampa
2. Toronto
3. Boston
4. And Florida, pulling down the final wildcard spot in the last week of the season.

Buffalo and Detroit will be better but not the 30 points better they need to challenge, Montreal being Bettman 500 is a successful season for them and if Ottawa trades Karlsson I see them being '16-'17 Avs bad.

Three elite teams and a very good one and four punching bags.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I know folks had a love/hate relationship with Polak. But who takes his place? Carrick who sat most of the year, or career AHLer Holl new to North America, Ozhinikov. Leafs are hoping that someone is a competent NHLer. Think the Leaf will make a trade for Dman late in the season after non contenders become sellers closer to TDL.

Polak, although he had a good stretch while being carried by Dermott is one of the worst defenseman in the entire NHL. Carrick is arguably our best RD (yes, over Zaitsev/Hainsey).

Thing is, we have a top-5 group of LD's in the league and arguably the worst group of RD's. Polak leaving actually makes that group better, almost no matter who plays there.

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

Every year there are surprises but Atlantic has the best top3 in the league, none of them have made moves to get worse, they've only tried to get better and there's some messed up teams in the division.

A year earlier Columbus/Washington/Pitt had not only the best top 3 in the league, but i think they had 3 of the top 4 teams in the league (better then the Atl last year). And although Columbus did make the playoffs last year, they did so as a wildcard. And Columbus got Panarin last year, hardly became worst instead of better.

The point is things fluctuate from year to year

Reactions: PunkRockLocke

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

Also - regarding Boston and Winnipeg. Going into last season, by HF Boston was ranked 18th Stanley cup favorite, and Winnipeg 19th. Edmonton was #2. This was from a series of polls that was conducted right before the season started. Here's the link:

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/2018-stanley-cup-favourite-22.2383803/

So yeah - things change a lot from year to year, and it's hardly only a couple of fringe posters who didn't see Bos/Winnipeg coming. It was a majority opinion around here.

Teams you think suck (Buffalo, Mtl, Ottawa & Detroit) often skyrocket, and teams you think should dominate (Boston, Tor, Tampa) can often falter. Just as happened last year

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
It sounds more like wishful thinking to expect Boston to miss than it is recency bias to expect the same three top teams to repeat.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
The Bruins didn't get any better while the Panthers and Leafs made major moves. And of course, there's Tampa. I expect them to be Top 3 in the division, but I wouldn't be shocked if the Panthers caught up to them.

EDIT: what was the gap between the two last season?

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
It sounds more like wishful thinking to expect Boston to miss than it is recency bias to expect the same three top teams to repeat.

Oh I hate Boston so it's definitely wishful thinking that they suck :)

But it's also based on the fact that prior to last season, they had had a very underwhelming 2-3 season stretch, and seemed to be on the decline. I'm not sure yet if last year confirms they are again a top team, or was more of a lucky season.

I'll say this - if they have another great season this year, i'll be more inclined to predict good things for them the following year.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
No. Florida will get one of the top 3 spots IMO. It'll be Toronto, Tampa, Florida and then Boston

Reactions: biotk

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
The best three teams in the division on paper are Tampa, Toronto, and Boston in that order with the Panthers as the clear #4 team in the division then a big gap to the rest.

Those 3 should be the favorites to finish in the top 3. This is hockey and injuries, flukey win streaks, and slumps happen. I don't give much of an opportunity to the teams other then the top 4 to be in the race but stuff happens.

I'll be a homer and say the Panthers get into the top 3 sneaking by Boston by a point.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
The best three teams in the division on paper are Tampa, Toronto, and Boston in that order with the Panthers as the clear #4 team in the division then a big gap to the rest.

Those 3 should be the favorites to finish in the top 3. This is hockey and injuries, flukey win streaks, and slumps happen. I don't give much of an opportunity to the teams other then the top 4 to be in the race but stuff happens.

I'll be a homer and say the Panthers get into the top 3 sneaking by Boston by a point.
I think that will happen. Boston has much more concerns than the Cup contender lock people have them as. They rely way too much on 1 line with 2 players who may have peaked based on age.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
I think that will happen. Boston has much more concerns than the Cup contender lock people have them as. They rely way too much on 1 line with 2 players who may have peaked based on age.
yea, but that 1st line is imo the best in the NHL. It has 3 players who would be the best player on at least 15 teams in the NHL and has perfect balance. They have a sniper with 40+ goal talent, a 60+ point pest who is willing to get dirty in the corners, and an elite 2 way center in between them. There is really no way to counter it because it has the skill and balance to play any style the opponent wants.

member 157595

Barring injuries, those three teams plus Florida all make the PO's in some order.

If Tampa makes a trade for Erik Karlsson, they're by far the Cup favorite for me (if they're not already).

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Oh I hate Boston so it's definitely wishful thinking that they suck :)

But it's also based on the fact that prior to last season, they had had a very underwhelming 2-3 season stretch, and seemed to be on the decline. I'm not sure yet if last year confirms they are again a top team, or was more of a lucky season.

I'll say this - if they have another great season this year, i'll be more inclined to predict good things for them the following year.

I think most of us were surprised at just how successful the Bruins were last season but it goes back further than that really - ever since Claude left (still one of our greatest coaches ever) the Bruins turned a 180. The Bruins went from mostly defensive structure to a three zone transition effort and the Bergeron line, Krug, the kids all excelled from it.

I think it will continue barring injury. As for the Krejci/second line dilemma, we shall see. The first line alone makes it a playoff team with Chara/Krug/McAvoy and Rask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad