Post-Game Talk: DJ Smith leads Leafs to another defensive blunder leafs lose 4-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Who said sports aren't fair and you don't end up getting what you deserve?

We've got our #3 goaltender in net and you put in a defensive effort like that?

I think the boys need to look in the mirror and decide what they want to be because this happens way to often and Freddy saves them, that's not going to happen with Hutchinson in net

I put the coaching staff in that as well

Oh well on to the next one, I just hope we turn up for that one

great

Apr 14, 2018
Defense guys, it’s always been our problem. Defense and turnovers. Anderson our most important player masking the problems. It can be fixed but it needs to be fixed.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

I think the boys need to look in the mirror and decide what they want to be because this happens way to often and Freddy saves them, that's not going to happen with Hutchinson in net

Hutch wasn't great, but how does a team come out and support him like that? Our coverage was abysmal, even the leaky goal all five guys literally standing still.

Reactions: TML11
Feb 24, 2004
I’m not as concerned about the PP as many of you. We had puck possession in their zone for 90 consecutive seconds twice.

What is concerning me a bit is that Marner and Matthews on their strong side makes it much harder to one time cross ice passes and much easier to collapse on them.

So I’d love to see them switch sides.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Don't let the

• Babcock fanboys,
  • corsi fanboys, or
  • people who dont understand hockey but just like to watch the so called advanced stats table

see your post

(the advanced stats table also show TOR gives up a shit ton of opportunities)

Reactions: Al14

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
Fix the ****ing D Dubas....night all.

It's not only the defense. We have waaaay more serious problems at the moment, and that is the system we are trying to play. I wouldn't even call it a system, because it is simply one move: stretch pass. And thats is, nothing else.

We have one play in 5 on 5 and one play in the PP. Both got figured out by good defensive teams.

It's such a joke that a team with Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander, Kapanen, Johnsson, Kadri, Rielly, Gardiner, with all this skill, cannot play a quick, combinative hockey. Only this motherf***ing useless stretch pass piece of shit. It's so obvious that they are forced to do this shit, which is not working at all.

I don't even know whats the answer to this, because the coaching staff clearly not even trying to play anything else but this.

Again, don't get me wrong, I love our players and this is a special time, but at the same time and the very same reason this is why it hurts so much to see this nonsense system, because I know we could be so much better, even with this horrible defense.

But we won't be, as long as we don't change this system.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I’m not as concerned about the PP as many of you. We had puck possession in their zone for 90 consecutive seconds twice.

What is concerning me a bit is that Marner and Matthews on their strong side makes it much harder to one time cross ice passes and much easier to collapse on them.

So I’d love to see them switch sides.

They did switch sides on the 3rd PP, and it was not effective at all.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Something really needs to be done about the PP. Shake it up a bit, just do something. Teams are keying in on Marner and taking away his shot/slap pass. The brutal giveaways cost them the game but they easily could have tied it in the third with all those power plays. Dubnyk was good but he wasn't that good.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

And way too many games letting off the gas and then trying to be fancy and out-score

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
DJ Smith's ability to temporarily inhabit the body of Leafs' players is becoming a bigger problem than trying to win games without the team's star goalie.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
With Freddy being done for a while Boston might take the home ice easily....

Leafs brass just do stretch passes and nothing else; rely on offense and cannot play a 5 man unit team defense.

leafs lose the the puck in netural zone opposition attacks with speed

This is a recording!

They have to finish at least 3rd....Tampa, Wash or Pitt would be a disaster.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
I tend to agree.

Unless Matthews or Marner can show me a Hart Trophy, an Art Ross trophy, or a Ted Lindsey trophy, or win all 3 in one season like McDavid did before his contract, they aren't getting close to the 12.5M that McDavid makes.

Marner should get around 9-9.5M, and Matthews likely gets 10-11M

Marner hasn't taken a night off. Or if he has I can't remember it. Matthews has been relatively quiet and snake bit for the past few games since his 4 point night.

12 mil players do not take nights off.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
So yeah. I love Matthews. I think he can be the 2nd best player in the NHL rather easily. When he is on, he is so amazing to watch and completely tilts the game.

However the play he has been having lately, despite his points, has been terrible. That's fine for a 8M player or even a 9M player, but if there is any truth to this McDavid money stuff, or even the 13M, then he needs to be much much better.
100% agree.

I would have no problems with Matthews in the slightest if his actual play/stats/health were allowed to be a factor in how much he’ll get paid. But they aren’t. He’s apparently entitled to McDavid money for some reason. And that’s what leaves me worried. Remember, McDavid topped 100 points TWICE before being offered that contract.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Whoever is running our PP needs to actually earn their salary, cause they're not right now.

Same shit every PP.

Reactions: Al14

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Fortunately they only have 10 games this month to get through this January slump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad