Post-Game Talk: DJ Smith leads Leafs to another defensive blunder leafs lose 4-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
We played awful, that was hard to watch. Coverage and giveaways, was painful. Hutchinson wasn't much of an improvement over Sparks, held us in first period, then shaky afterwards.

A we deserved loss. TB is waving goodbye.

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
The PP is broken. When it's supposed to be what strikes fear in you opponent, and it goes 0-4 consistently. Plus you have zero players that will push back and strike fear in your opponent. Then your opponent has nothing to fear.

Also, shoot more. We still play too fancy.

Eric Fehr outplayed Matthews today.

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
Tavares and marner can’t do it all

Matthews struggling
Kadri line ineffective. No offence at all
4th line doing what you expect for 7 mins a night

Reilly no shot from the point on the power play.

Toronto defense no hard shooter on the point. No sandpaper to clear the crease.

Babcock demoting kappanen for some reason.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
If Dubas isn't going to get a D-man then at least change the D-pairs

Gardiner-Rielly
Dermott-Zaitsev
Hainsey-Oz

Last edited:

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
The Leafs PP desperately needs a one-timer presence when teams collapse on Marner/Matthews.

Both Kapanen and Nylander have wicked one-timers but for whatever reason Kapanen isn't allowed PP time while Ennis/Moore/Marleau/Brown/etc. see minutes.
Yeah that bugs me

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
So yeah. I love Matthews. I think he can be the 2nd best player in the NHL rather easily. When he is on, he is so amazing to watch and completely tilts the game.

However the play he has been having lately, despite his points, has been terrible. That's fine for a 8M player or even a 9M player, but if there is any truth to this McDavid money stuff, or even the 13M, then he needs to be much much better.
Have you seen McDavid play hockey? Seen his NHL trophy case up to date? That's why he gets what he's earning. Only media putting out those numbers.

Lenovs

Worst Pace Scenario
Oct 3, 2018
Vienna
an awful game and a well deserved loss. we're not playing like a serious cup contender lately.

Reactions: AreBe

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
TOR actually finished ahead of 5v5 xGF by the end of the game, which isn't surprising. Toronto's PP was a massive let down in this one.

This team needs to ditch the massive drop pass zone entry on the powerplay. It's predictable, and it leaves 4 guys standing still at the opposing blue-line. I'd also consider having Rielly and Marner on separate units. I'd plug Zaitsev beside Marner on one, and Rielly and Kapanen on the other. Zaitsev in his rookie year on the PP shot hard, and shot low, and it generates rebounds, deflections, or goes in.

It might not be a permanent thing, but I'd say it could give some life back to the PP.

14tpNxU.png

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Dubas will be so kind to cough up a lot of dough anyways. Just look at what he gave to Nylander, a 20 goal/ 60 point player!
Matthews has never hit 70, and may not this year as well.

Last edited:

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
If Boston wins tonight they’ll only be 4pts back. It’s gonna be a fight for home ice.

With Freddy being done for a while Boston might take the home ice easily....

Leafs brass just do stretch passes and nothing else; rely on offense and cannot play a 5 man unit team defense.

leafs lose the the puck in netural zone opposition attacks with speed

This is a recording!

Reactions: Al14

mulefarm

Oct 9, 2011
TOR actually finished ahead of 5v5 xGF by the end of the game, which isn't surprising. Toronto's PP was a massive let down in this one.

This team needs to ditch the massive drop pass zone entry on the powerplay. It's predictable, and it leaves 4 guys standing still at the opposing blue-line. I'd also consider having Rielly and Marner on separate units. I'd plug Zaitsev beside Marner on one, and Rielly and Kapanen on the other. Zaitsev in his rookie year on the PP shot hard, and shot low, and it generates rebounds, deflections, or goes in.

It might not be a permanent thing, but I'd say it could give some life back to the PP.

14tpNxU.png
[/QUOT

Not sure what Z would bring to the PP

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Have you seen McDavid play hockey? Seen his NHL trophy case up to date? That's why he gets what he's earning. Only media putting out those numbers.

I tend to agree.

Unless Matthews or Marner can show me a Hart Trophy, an Art Ross trophy, or a Ted Lindsey trophy, or win all 3 in one season like McDavid did before his contract, they aren't getting close to the 12.5M that McDavid makes.

Marner should get around 9-9.5M, and Matthews likely gets 10-11M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad