Post-Game Talk: DJ Smith leads Leafs to another defensive blunder leafs lose 4-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

RLF

May 5, 2014
The Leafs are a team built on speed and puck movement. They cannot be a team that chips the puck out of their own zone. The stretch pass works, but they need a few dmen better than Hainsey to be a more complete team. He is too slow in transitioning the puck. So basically, I think the system works but the execution is lacking.

Meh, the stretch pass only works on teams that are not trying to really defend it. When we play a team like Minny, who sit back in the neutral zone and just wait for the stretch pass, we are just giving the puck away. When we play a team that is forechecking and not hanging back, the stretch pass looks effective.

What bothers me is how we don't adjust and have forwards coming back to support with shorter passes from our end and hit the neutral zone with speed when teams sit back. You can't beat the "trap" with stretch passes.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Lol **** no. Gardiner is the king of poor shot selection. Rielly is a great PP QB and proved it last year. The coaching staff needs to do a better job of drawing up more plays on the PP because the current ones are too predictable.

I would like to see the units restructured actually.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Meh, the stretch pass only works on teams that are not trying to really defend it. When we play a team like Minny, who sit back in the neutral zone and just wait for the stretch pass, we are just giving the puck away. When we play a team that is forechecking and not hanging back, the stretch pass looks effective.

What bothers me is how we don't adjust and have forwards coming back to support with shorter passes from our end and hit the neutral zone with speed when teams sit back. You can't beat the "trap" with stretch passes.
Agreed. Team should practice more than 1 breakout system. When you get into games players rely on what they work on in practice. We have ZERO backup system. It is beyond the players. Wait for this one. Almost every team is going to play against us like this except Tampa, Winnipeg and Boston. Babs system is going to get challenged in 2nd half of season. We'll see how it does. or if he makes changes.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Agreed. Team should practice more than 1 breakout system. When you get into games players rely on what they work on in practice. We have ZERO backup system. It is beyond the players. Wait for this one. Almost every team is going to play against us like this except Tampa, Winnipeg and Boston. Babs system is going to get challenged in 2nd half of season. We'll see how it does. or if he makes changes.

Yep, we are very predictable and if you want to neutralize our skill, take away the stretch pass and sit back in the neutral zone. We don't adjust until the 3rd usually, so you are likely to control the first two periods and spend more time in our end which is the best way to keep our skill under control.

stuart5035

Apr 9, 2017
Just swap Kadri's wingers and Matthews wingers, it would be the easiest and best way to get our star player going

I need this forum as my outlet; I am a fifty year passionate “Maple Leaf Forever” lover (I still can feel the magic of wearing my Leaf jersey as a young boy).

Last nights game was an exercise in frustration, it was clear to me at the end of the first that we were in for a long night. We have trouble with Minnesota’s defensive style, how they clog the ice. Bruce Boudreau is a very astute coach, he knew exactly what his team had to do. And it was that “smothering” that frustrates me, because I have seen the sublime overpowering skill of our Leafs and what they are capable of. It’s hard to watch powerlessly as an inferior slogging team takes away that flair.

However, as pointed out, we are second overall in the league and have come so far in a few short years. But that shouldn’t make us blind to our shortcomings. For some time I have felt like I’m in that movie “Groundhog day” with Bill Murray. Same thing it seems, opposing forwards swarming our zone, plastering our defense against the boards, their defense playing high, puck in our zone a lot as we run around helplessly. Is it my imagination or does more of the play end up in our zone (is that called “Corsi” I believe?). Not to forget our powerless power play and propensity for the stretch pass, as others on this post have talked about.

So, with our level of talent, the natural inclination is to look to the coaching staff to adjust, that’s what they are paid for. But is there only so much they can do? Is our defense really that bad? Why can’t this team perform more like they did against Tampa (despite the loss we were by far the better team), the forwards all came back, the breakouts were crisp, speed all over the ice. Is the word out in the league on how to play the Leafs, a sort of “template”.

So I will keep waiting for a “Picasso” to show up. Thought I could see one coming when it was 2-0 early, but Boudreau is too smart, and that’s a veteran defensive team. But it’s there. Finally saw some Nylander-Matthews magic (I though Matthews played well, unlike many, given he was lucky to have 2 inches to move out there).

Please Kyle, get us some sandpaper on defense though, a Josh Manson type. One or two of those please. And maybe one big punishing forward. I think that’s what is really missing-the Edmonton Oilers of the 80’s, for all their skill, still needed the Semenko’s, Lumley’s, Smith’s, Hunter’s, Fogolin, McClelland’s.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I need this forum as my outlet; I am a fifty year passionate “Maple Leaf Forever” lover (I still can feel the magic of wearing my Leaf jersey as a young boy).

Last nights game was an exercise in frustration, it was clear to me at the end of the first that we were in for a long night. We have trouble with Minnesota’s defensive style, how they clog the ice. Bruce Boudreau is a very astute coach, he knew exactly what his team had to do. And it was that “smothering” that frustrates me, because I have seen the sublime overpowering skill of our Leafs and what they are capable of. It’s hard to watch powerlessly as an inferior slogging team takes away that flair.

However, as pointed out, we are second overall in the league and have come so far in a few short years. But that shouldn’t make us blind to our shortcomings. For some time I have felt like I’m in that movie “Groundhog day” with Bill Murray. Same thing it seems, opposing forwards swarming our zone, plastering our defense against the boards, their defense playing high, puck in our zone a lot as we run around helplessly. Is it my imagination or does more of the play end up in our zone (is that called “Corsi” I believe?). Not to forget our powerless power play and propensity for the stretch pass, as others on this post have talked about.

So, with our level of talent, the natural inclination is to look to the coaching staff to adjust, that’s what they are paid for. But is there only so much they can do? Is our defense really that bad? Why can’t this team perform more like they did against Tampa (despite the loss we were by far the better team), the forwards all came back, the breakouts were crisp, speed all over the ice. Is the word out in the league on how to play the Leafs, a sort of “template”.

So I will keep waiting for a “Picasso” to show up. Thought I could see one coming when it was 2-0 early, but Boudreau is too smart, and that’s a veteran defensive team. But it’s there. Finally saw some Nylander-Matthews magic (I though Matthews played well, unlike many, given he was lucky to have 2 inches to move out there).

Please Kyle, get us some sandpaper on defense though, a Josh Manson type. One or two of those please. And maybe one big punishing forward. I think that’s what is really missing-the Edmonton Oilers of the 80’s, for all their skill, still needed the Semenko’s, Lumley’s, Smith’s, Hunter’s, Fogolin, McClelland’s.

I concur. Let Dubas continue the rebuild and get those players you mentioned. I hope he doesn’t do anything too brash and give up too many assets at the TDL. They got to get Marner signed and deal with Matthews before they fill the holes. Unless there is a no brainer he should wait until summer when he has a better picture.

As for the TPA game. I watched them a couple of times since they played the Leafs and they seem to turn on the O when they want. They play much different with a lead than they do when tied or trailing. The difference between the Leafs and TPA , aside from their goalies and D, is their depth at forward.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
He is not getting $13 million, it's ridiculous to even think that. Despite Matthews' impressive points per 60 stat, he is not as great as McDavid...and I really like Matthews...McDavid generates scoring chances every game by his speed, puck handling skills and vision...he literally blows by defenders at will...and not every player can play 26 plus minutes like McDavid, hounded by the top lines and d pair of the opposition, and still be such an effective and prolific scorer on a bad team.

I am going based off the media rumors of him looking for McDavid money. If Dubas pays Matthews that and Marner 11M or whatever he has essentially killed any cup hopes before we had a real shot.

That's why I said if they all want to chase the money, one of them has to go. I'd rather it was Matthews as he can return the most. Trade him to Arizona for OEL, Keller, and a few firsts. They will still suck and those firsts will be likely top 4.

Of course this is all assuming he wants to milk the team. If he is willing to take the Tavares deal or less then I am ok with that. But he needs to be much much better day in and out to be paid the highest in the league.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

It's not the same game as it was in the 80's and I go back further than you, I used to listen to Foster Hewitt on the radio so you know I'm no spring chicken, however adding some starch to our line up as you have indicated in your last paragraph, is something I would like to see on the Leafs but we have to be careful on trading for one of those type of character players, the Oilers brought in Milan Lucic to try to play with Connor McDavid and that was a bust, it sure wasn't the Semenko and Gretzky type pairing.
McDavid is probably the fastest center in the League, while Lucic not so much and it cost the Oilers big time with his contract, having said that, there are several players that could fill that Role but they have to fit with the players we have and there are not a lot of them, I would like to add a Josh Manson on the D but at what cost and I'm not sure who is available to fill the sandpaper role on the wing.
We may have to draft and develop one.

Reactions: stuart5035

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Marchement can come up for a playoff round with Boston to help Hyman with the forecheck.
D wise we need a couple sandpaper types with speed who can play body and break the cycle.

stuart5035

Apr 9, 2017
It's not the same game as it was in the 80's and I go back further than you, I used to listen to Foster Hewitt on the radio so you know I'm no spring chicken, however adding some starch to our line up as you have indicated in your last paragraph, is something I would like to see on the Leafs but we have to be careful on trading for one of those type of character players, the Oilers brought in Milan Lucic to try to play with Connor McDavid and that was a bust, it sure wasn't the Semenko and Gretzky type pairing.
McDavid is probably the fastest center in the League, while Lucic not so much and it cost the Oilers big time with his contract, having said that, there are several players that could fill that Role but they have to fit with the players we have and there are not a lot of them, I would like to add a Josh Manson on the D but at what cost and I'm not sure who is available to fill the sandpaper role on the wing.
We may have to draft and develop one.

Thanks for your intelligent and insightful reply, the time you took.
I’m afraid I’m an isolated Leaf fan here in Calgary, anyone who’s into hockey that I know is a Flames fan, most Leaf-Flames games here have required that I wear a paper bag! Even my son has had the audacity to wear a Flames jersey!
So it’s nice to hear from someone who has shared the pain; the Derlago-Vaive years, the Kessel-Phaneuf ones, the Ballard disasters and so on. At least you must have a vivid memory of 67?

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Thanks for your intelligent and insightful reply, the time you took.
I’m afraid I’m an isolated Leaf fan here in Calgary, anyone who’s into hockey that I know is a Flames fan, most Leaf-Flames games here have required that I wear a paper bag! Even my son has had the audacity to wear a Flames jersey!
So it’s nice to hear from someone who has shared the pain; the Derlago-Vaive years, the Kessel-Phaneuf ones, the Ballard disasters and so on. At least you must have a vivid memory of 67?

You remember the Ballard years but I want to tell you the Con and Stafford Smythe years were not much better, they treated Leaf players very badly.
Calgary got one of my favorite Leafs Lanny McDonald from Colorado and he had some epic battles with Gretzky and his bodyguards...LOL

Cheers

Feb 24, 2004
Boston Buffalo and Montreal are the only teams the Leafs would have a chance to beat.

The Leafs took Washington to 6 games three years ago (5 of them to OT). You don’t think they’d have a chance against them?

And Pittsburgh? The team with a D corps like ours?

And Tampa, the team we dominated three weeks ago?

I’m not saying we beat these teams but to say they don’t have a chance is wild.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The Leafs took Washington to 6 games three years ago (5 of them to OT). You don’t think they’d have a chance against them?

After watching Boston’s and Montreal’s past few games I’m not certain the Leafs would beat them.

Reactions: hullsy47

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

Boston seems to have this team's number. The others I think they'd have a better shot against, including Tampa

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I am going based off the media rumors of him looking for McDavid money. If Dubas pays Matthews that and Marner 11M or whatever he has essentially killed any cup hopes before we had a real shot.

That's why I said if they all want to chase the money, one of them has to go. I'd rather it was Matthews as he can return the most. Trade him to Arizona for OEL, Keller, and a few firsts. They will still suck and those firsts will be likely top 4.

Of course this is all assuming he wants to milk the team. If he is willing to take the Tavares deal or less then I am ok with that. But he needs to be much much better day in and out to be paid the highest in the league.
I agree one good thing about compensation picks they cant be lottery protected
any team offer sheets M or M has to have the picks
most teams that could offer sheet marner or Mathews don't have the cap space

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
After watching Boston’s and Montreal’s past few games I’m not certain the Leafs would beat them.

Boston seems to have this team's number. The others I think they'd have a better shot against, including Tampa

Ive watched some full 60 minute games by the Bruins. Their play and breakout system always impressed me. Dont like the Bs since theyre rivals... but hey...

Watch the Way they break out and make plays - NEVER rushed. Seems like they have a system which uses backup options. Constantly. Very adaptive.

So if a forward has it in the NZ, and noone is in position,Play Option 1 is dead - he will circle around, and look for Play Option 2 .

1.Lets say they make that pass, and its to Marchand, and he gets swarmed. Marchand will skate with the puck using his skill - *not chipping it in blindly* and wait for his linemates to be readdy for Play option 3 to open. Then Pass.

2.IF his linemates are covered and the 3rd play is suddenly risky - ..get this...

3.Marchand will outlet pass with a support player either get a pass back and THE WHOLE f***ing team knows the play went from Play 2 to 3 now back to 1 ---if the support player with the puck doesnt pass back to Marchand it means its Play # 2.

And they change these constantly as an unit - namely the Top line. Its brilliant.

They were missing half of their team and still disect teams D using this.

On D as soon leafs get the puck, they are coached to very quickly look for a breakout.
Notice we are turnover machines when our system is figured out.

Sometimes its brilliant for a forechecking team *we are 2nd place* , but adapted teams and Trap teams already know what to do.

We wont be sitting up there for long if we dont adapt.

We have enough talent to use a system with more substance and use run and gun when we see a team susceptible to it.

Its on coaching why we dont have a Plan B.

End rant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad