Post-Game Talk: DJ Smith leads Leafs to another defensive blunder leafs lose 4-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
We'll be bounced in the first round again if changes are not made. And if Andy goes down...well we're right F&#%ed. How we went from our backup goalie being a strength of this team to a complete liability is just insane. Dubas is really testing my patience this season.

They’ll probably get beat in the first round but it won’t all be the backup goalies’ fault.

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Naz is a disappointment. He is supposed to be a big part of the big 3 down the middle for us. If he keeps playing like this, then our advantage down the middle is negated a bit. You only have to worry about Matthews and JT.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
They’ll probably get beat in the first round but it won’t all be the backup goalies’ fault.

not many teams can matchup with the Leafs down the middle (as long as Kadri finds his game). I think people are underestimating this team a bit. They have a great chance to win at least 1 round.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Naz is a disappointment. He is supposed to be a big part of the big 3 down the middle for us. If he keeps playing like this, then our advantage down the middle is negated a bit. You only have to worry about Matthews and JT.

Trend

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
Don't worry. All this "new nhl" stuff that is driving up costs and causing speculation and too much money given to the few elite players will be fixed in the new CBA. This will be the longest lockout ever. Hope some good comes from it. The game sucks as it is.
The market system will always win
The NHL will expand to the sunbelt to sucker some people out of money and some short term fizz
Then the team will relocate to Canada for an additional billion relocation fee- sell the same team twice, it's not a sin!
The NHL PA and the NHL need to look at how the NBA does it and get on that league veteran exception bizz

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Under your scale, I see Johnsson as a complimentary player. Nylander/Kadri/Kapanen/Marleau/Gardiner etc are "good" players. And the superstars are Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Reilly, and Andersen.

I mean.. Nyalnder was a career high 20 goal/60 point player by the end of his elc. Compare that to the "superstars" on my above list (other than Reilly who's a defenseman). It's embarrassing.

None of Kadri/Kapanen/Marleau/Gardiner were as good players as Nylander at his age. Not even close.

Also, you do realize the Leafs management wasted Nylander's 1st year in the tank year right? The end of his 'ELC' would actually be the same as Matthews/Marner if they didn't waste it.

Think of it like this. How many players Nylander's age have 2 consecutive seasons of 61 points in their first 2 full-years? Hint: Very few. Hence why he is considered a star.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
not many teams can matchup with the Leafs down the middle (as long as Kadri finds his game). I think people are underestimating this team a bit. They have a great chance to win at least 1 round.

Not sure who they can beat in a 7 game series. The goal was to win a round this year and they may but it’s looking like they’ll be starting on the road. I say that because the Leafs haven’t had a prolonged slump yet and most teams do at some point.

The bottom 6 forward are unimpressive and look like they are playing with a balloon.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

With Hyman or Brown with JT and MM it’s not as effective has it could be. We’ve all seen the Boston line and it is better than any Leafs line.

Reactions: ToMaLe

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Not sure who they can beat in a 7 game series. The goal was to win a round this year and they may but it’s looking like they’ll be starting on the road. I say that because the Leafs haven’t had a prolonged slump yet and most teams do at some point.

The bottom 6 forward are unimpressive and look like they are playing with a balloon.

Not sure why you think the teams behind us are so much better than us come playoff time.

Reactions: Kurtz

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I literally can't help you if you see Nylander and Johnsson on the same 'good player' level. Puts up 61 points consecutively in his first 2 seasons and not a projected star?

Hysterical.
He’s a projected star.
We now need to see how he performs moving forward. Like anyone.

The key to a team concept + advanced success is a number of players outperforming their contracts.
Like Pastrnak at 6.6. Marchand at 6.1.
This leaves good room for support.

Tavares has been great, but he’s not outperforming 11 million. Soon Matthews will be hard pressed to outperform 10-11-12 million. Then Marner. The ability to retain the likes of Gardiner, Kadri, etc. will go down.

Just calling Nylander elite won’t cut it. He must also produce points at a 6.9 or above Cap hit. What we’ve gotten so far will not cut it long term. Your star means dominant in multiple facets. Again, we have to see.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Draisaitl has a caphit of 8.5 for the next 6 years, signed when the cap was projected to be 78 mill for the next season.
Nylander has a caphit of 6.9 for the next 5 years, signed when the cap is projected to be 83 mill next sesason.

Stop the nonsense. We got robbed for this year (which is totally fine since we have tons of space), and we got a fantastic deal for the next 5 years.
Draisaitl gets paid 8.5MM over 8 years. Nylander gets paid 7.5MM over 6. In 6 years, the 11.5MM per year difference will be an easy UFA deal. Stop displaying your ignorance and educate yourself.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Not sure why you think the teams behind us are so much better than us come playoff time.

Again I think Boston is just getting it together and it looks like they’ll pass the Leafs

My gut tells me they’ll be playing Pittsburgh or Boston in round one.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Again I think Boston is just getting it together and it looks like they’ll pass the Leafs

My gut tells me they’ll be playing Pittsburgh or Boston in round one.

an easy win over the bruins, I will take the Leafs over the Pens, this team is a level higher than last year team.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
an easy win over the bruins, I will take the Leafs over the Pens, this team is a level higher than last year team.
I think the Leafs could win an EVEN 7 game series against the Bruins. Last year was the farthest from an even series I've ever seen a series get in my life. When one team has a 5-1 PP-PK ratio advantage in a series, they kind of have a huge advantage. And we saw how shit Boston looked when they actually had to play a fast team without the power play advantage in the next round...

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
They could beat the bruins but it won’t be easy especially if the Bruins secure home ice.
Bruins are a good match for last years team, we will be going into the series this year with two #1 lines a very good 3rd line and good 4th line.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Neither the Matthews line or Naz line have been that great. Their wingers keep getting swapped out constantly and they haven't had any consistency. At least Matthews is back with Nylander and they're starting to look better now.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Bruins are a good match for last years team, we will be going into the series this year with two #1 lines a very good 3rd line and good 4th line.

The Bruins in no way shape or form are a Cup contender this year, nor were they last year. Even so, it would take a great effort by the Leafs to beat them. They could do it.

The job now is to secure s playoff berth. They have a 6 point advantage so they should be OK, but they don’t need Buffalo and Montreal in addition to Boston surpassing them.

Reactions: BrannigansLaw

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Here's the difference... and I don't see a way past this point...

I see Nylander as a "good" player, based on your above standards. You see him as a "superstar". That's it. The end.

We'll disagree on that. There's no possible way to prove each other right or wrong at the moment. We just have to wait and see. Was Nylander overpaid as a "good" player? Or was he adequately paid as a "superstar" player? Time will only tell. I think I'm right. You think you're right.

Finally! After reading this PGT someone who allows for a difference of opinion. People do not have to agree on everything, but they don't have to be jerks in response to another's viewpoint. Accept the difference, allow for the 'time will tell', hold to your opinion and respectfully move on. Waffles, you've given me hope when I needed it most, thank you.

Reactions: Throw More Waffles

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA

Um no, there is just as good a chance, if not greater, that Boston beats us. Boston's roster on paper doesn't really compare that well but they play their system as a 5 man unit whereas half the time I have no f***ing idea what the Leafs are trying to do running around like headless chickens in their own zone.
In no way shape or form would it be easy, stop being delusional.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

There not

I the team isn't sleepwalking (like today) there an absolute handful for anybody, especially with a fit rested Andersen

My issue is that now is the time to be getting the system down to the point where no matter how much pressure is on your able to stick to it

We're just not doing that, in fact I think we're getting worse in that regard in pressure situations (like the first 30 minutes today)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad