Disregarding salary, who is the ideal winger for Crosby?

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Pretty sure the NHL only used one puck when Jagr and Lemieux played together.

I kinda think David Backes would be the incredible for this team (he could easily slid to wing with his style of play).

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Based off how Sid plays:

-Perry
-Callahan
-Parise
-Backes
-Ryan

Lucic on a line with Malkin and Neal would be downright physically dominating.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Parise or Perry. Just imagine if we would of signed ZP.. Him and Sid would be lethal in all 3 zones

Kunitz - Crosby - Parise, if that's the line they went with, would hardly leave the offensive zone when they were "on." It would be ridiculous.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
As a Habs fan that watches a lot of Pens games... Pacioretty would be absolutely lethal with Sid.

He skates like a train and has a deadly wrist shot. He's not quite the proto-typical powerforward though, closer to a Neal type, although he's often forced to create offense on his own playing with Desharnais full-time, which clearly isn't the same as playing with Geno.

I could see MaxPac being a 40+ goal scorer, similar to Neal, on a line with Crosby. After all, he's a 30-35 goals guy with Desharnais...

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
As a Habs fan that watches a lot of Pens games... Pacioretty would be absolutely lethal with Sid.

He skates like a train and has a deadly wrist shot. He's not quite the proto-typical powerforward though, closer to a Neal type, although he's often forced to create offense on his own playing with Desharnais full-time, which clearly isn't the same as playing with Geno.

I could see MaxPac being a 40+ goal scorer, similar to Neal, on a line with Crosby. After all, he's a 30-35 goals guy with Desharnais...

Yea, when it was rumored that Pacioretty was on the trading block a month or so ago, everyone here went gaga over him. He'd definitely fit the bill. We'll never get him, but what's that matter? ;)

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Assuming Kunitz is on the other side, I think Datsyuk with Crosby would be fun to watch. Although, with what Datsyuk can do with the puck, he would be fun to watch with just about anybody. Maybe a little past his prime, but surely he could take advantage of any space the defense gives him by focusing on Crosby.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
Based off how Sid plays:

-Perry
-Callahan
-Parise
-Backes
-Ryan

Lucic on a line with Malkin and Neal would be downright physically dominating.

Lucic - just a special kind of mold. Malkin and Neal would have so much space. And I smile just thinking how cocky Geno would get knowing Lucic had his back at every turn.

Can we do a poll for this?

Like everyone has already said, the heavy hitters: Perry, Ryan, Landeskog, Parise, Duchene, Kessel, Patty Kane, St. Louis, Hall, Benn/Seguin, Marleau, Eberle....

Cheaper: Okposo (bummer, looks like the ship has sailed on any potential wrangling off the Isle), Pavelski, Voracek, Pominville, Boedker, Ladd, Wheeler, Little, Vrbata.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
Zach Parise is "somewhat of a sniper." The dude has scored 40 goals. And he's scored 30 four other times. He can score just fine. And he's better defensively, better at cycling the puck and he just works much harder.

He scores dirty goals around the net... he doesn't bury outside shots like perry. Parise is too much like kunitz, but better.

I'm not saying he'd be a bad option, but there's certainly better.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004

Is he viable on the RW? I don't remembering him being off the left side much, if ever.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
I think Parise, Perry and Duchene would be my top 3 picks for Crosby.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I kinda think David Backes would be the incredible for this team (he could easily slid to wing with his style of play).
One of my favorites and a great mention. He attacks down the middle of the ice too. So when Sid leaves the defensive zone and pretty much become a RWer, Backes will give that center drive.

I know there are better players in the league than Backes but I really think he's the hardest player to play against because he's so well rounded and cobra mean.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
If you add coaching and game planning into the equation it becomes a much smaller list (one that is even more logically exclusive of Ovy). In that case Backes absolutely would be one of the top guys.

Perry
Parise
Backes
Landeskog
Lucic
Wheeler

are pretty much in a group by themselves if you add "Bylsma Hockey" into the requirements.

I think that would somewhat marginalize the talents of guys like Stamkos, Kessel, P. Kane, Hossa, and other highly skilled players mentioned, relative to the other top guys. Wouldn't slow them down on the PP mind you, but on balance it would.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Pretty sure the NHL only used one puck when Jagr and Lemieux played together.
Yeah but both were great passers and were at their best when playing a give and go game. Ovy was at his best when he could get pucks and take 550 shots a season. You could put him with a defensive center and he would get 55 goals or you could put him with Crosby and he'll get 55 goals.

Over the past few years we see AO trying to become a more well rounded player. He dishes off a little more and tries to get back for defense more. Its great that he's trying but he's just not that type of player.

I know Ovy's stats look good this year but he not playing well for a top tier player. Almost all of his points come on the PP and he's a -12. Its kind of like an old Lemieux but AO's in his prime with a better team around him.

Another matter is that I don't think Crosby needs a goal scorer next to him as much as someone that can play with some poise and give and go. More Elias... Less Iginla... I know Iggy can pass but he's very "north" thinking and direct with the puck.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Ovechkin is the best right-shooting winger in the game and he has been for some time and he will be for some time more. There's nothing more to it than that. He and Sid would flat out dominate and along with Kunitz would be the best line in hockey. Elias... please.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Ovechkin is the best right-shooting winger in the game and he has been for some time and he will be for some time more. There's nothing more to it than that. He and Sid would flat out dominate and along with Kunitz would be the best line in hockey. Elias... please.

there is more to playing together than being the best players.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
IMO his stats are kind of hollow. Over the same time period we've seen Kovy and Kessel, both RHed, shooting, goal scoring wingers, get better. They've learned to play a team game and have become more well rounded. Ovy has not only not become a better player but he's become worse. Even his 1D offensive game has become more 1D.

I guess it depends on how good a person thinks Ovy really is. I don't think he's worth his contract or a top 5 player in the league anymore. I've always liked more of a Mogilny over Bure though.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad