Disregarding salary, who is the ideal winger for Crosby?

goolia*

It has to be someone that can create their own offense to allow Sid to disappear into traffic and make him doubly as dangerous; as opposed to being the primary puck carrier, thereby not getting as easily shutdown like in the Boston Series (Kunitz and Dupuis not being able to create their own offense) last year, or the 2009 Detroit series when Kunitz or Guerin could not create their own offense.

20 year old Crosby, just recovering from a high ankle sprain (something from which he never fully gained his explosive speed off the rush since his rookie and sophomore year) was dominant with Marian Hossa in that 2008 run.

It's kind of sad that when you really think about it, Iginla in the 2010 Olympics, for two weeks, and Hossa in the 2008 playoffs, for 2 months, is the only time he's ever played with Wingers who could create their own offense. It is such a shame that Neal was acquired when Crosby was out with his second concussion in 2011; and, as a result, was given to Malkin and has never had significant playing time with Crosby, ever.

(As an aside, was Neal acquired to be the permanent winger for Crosby? And if so, why has he never played with him for any significant stretch of time? That Columbus game back in early January gives glimpses of what Crosby could do on a regular basis, with a winger of Neal's caliber or better; maxing out Crosby's peak offensive potential.)

Played his first game in 2005. It is 2014 and a cup of tea with Iginla and Hossa is not enough.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Corey Perry

1. Yep, it's Perry. I've also liked the idea of Dustin Brown.

2. I think it's important to note, in threads like these, that it takes 3 to make a line. Saying 'who's the ideal winger for Sid' in a bubble is like asking the same question about Geno. Asking that question in a bubble gives you Dupuis with Sid and Kunitz (or Jokinen with Geno and Neal). The proper question is who's the ideal complement for Sid AND Kunitz. IMO, it's Perry or Brown.

3. Simon Despres is fat, and his mistakes annoy me.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Dustin Brown? Oh please no :laugh:

Perry is a good answer. I'm still saying Landeskog. Maybe Brent Burns, too.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yep.

But he's such a big threat that you simply can't ignore him or even give him space. If you give Neal the puck in the O zone with any time, he will get a quality shot on goal.

Yes, but that isn't what Sid and Kunitz need. When teams defend in layers, they need a guy who's going to create/exploit space. Perry does that. Neal isn't a guy who can do that, period. Elite in several other areas, but that isn't one of them.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yes, but that isn't what Sid and Kunitz need. When teams defend in layers, they need a guy who's going to create/exploit space. Perry does that. Neal isn't a guy who can do that, period. Elite in several other areas, but that isn't one of them.

Okay.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
1. Jake "shake 'n bake" Guentzel
2. Zach 'hometown boy' Parise
3. Matty 'i got nothing funny to say' Duchene
3. Marián 'was a penguin for far too short a period of time' Hossa
4. Patty 'got into a car accident on the street i used to live on' Marleau

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Dustin Brown? Oh please no :laugh:

Perry is a good answer. I'm still saying Landeskog. Maybe Brent Burns, too.

Brown was my first 'if not Perry'. Perry is the no-brainer. As I said, whoever it is, he needs the speed/skill combo to create space and to exploit the space that Sid creates.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Brown was my first 'if not Perry'. Perry is the no-brainer. As I said, whoever it is, he needs the speed/skill combo to create space and to exploit the space that Sid creates.

Dustin Brown is barely a top six player. I don't know if he'd even be much of an upgrade over Dupuis at this point.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I agree with everyone who said Parise.

I remember Sid was asked a long time ago who he thought would be his perfect winger, Sid said Danny Heatley

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Dustin Brown is barely a top six player. I don't know if he'd even be much of an upgrade over Dupuis at this point.

Sorry, but I don't see the latter.

But, I'm looking at this differently.

If you asked me to put together a top 10 list of guys I'd see as the perfect complement for Geno and Neal, then Kulemin is on that list, even though he's 'barely a top six player'.

Same for Brown with Crosby and Kunitz. He's on that top 10 list, although I do see him as a top six player.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00