Dishing the Dirt

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
[/B]Defensive play is less about the talent of individual players and more about how those players work together within a system. When Broda left for WWII, his replacement - Paul Bibeault - maintained a similar pace.

There’s a reason less talented teams try to beat more talented teams by playing defensively.

I don't see how one career year that was up to Broda's long term level proves anything. You're practically suggesting that any goalie could have done it. Do you really think Bibeault's career would have been within miles of Broda's had he played 14 years in Toronto? You're also practically dismissing the impact that three very strong defensive defensemen would have had on the Habs and Durnan. Yes, Harvey could play well both ways, but he, Bouchard, and Reardon all excelled on the defensive side. I understand the value of a defensive system, but having three guys with that level of defensive acumen is still a very big deal.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Wait, what? I just noticed this here.

Playoffs are a major reason Durnan can't hold Gardiner's jock.

Can't hold his jock, as in Durnan is worse, possibly very much so, in an all time light?

You're literally going to try and compare a man who has 21 playoff games, 2 playoff runs that register as worth talking about, 1 SC as the main reasons a jock can't be held?

Let's look.

Durnan in the playoffs?

27-18
2 SC's (in those years he was 16-2 giving up a grand total of 34 goals. That's under 2 per game).
The beat Frank Brimsek and the Bruines in 46. Durnan gave up 21 goals in 9 SCF games. Just over 2 per. Wonder what the league averages were at the time. I'm guessing higher.

In 46-47 he was 5-6 with a league best 1.92 GAA. In the SCF (loss) that year, he gave up 13 goals in 6 games. You know how many Broda gave up? 13. A 25 year old Maurice Richard managed 3 points in 5 games. Buddy O'Conner of all people led Montreal in scoring with 6. Blake had 4. The Habs star forwards got shut down.

So chalk up another strong run to Durnan's name.

So while I give Gardiner the slight nod for best single playoff run, it's one Cup. One. His 2nd near miss was good. Beyond that there is literally nothing. His playoff resume is insanely thin and apparently that manages to blow the doors off what I just posted above?

I'm spent. I'm going to bed.

Appreciate the dialogue everyone.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Can't hold his jock, as in Durnan is worse, possibly very much so, in an all time light?

You're literally going to try and compare a man who has 21 playoff games, 2 playoff runs that register as worth talking about, 1 SC as the main reasons a jock can't be held?

Let's look.

Durnan in the playoffs?

27-18
2 SC's (in those years he was 16-2 giving up a grand total of 34 goals. That's under 2 per game).
The beat Frank Brimsek and the Bruines in 46. Durnan gave up 21 goals in 9 SCF games. Just over 2 per. Wonder what the league averages were at the time. I'm guessing higher.

In 46-47 he was 5-6 with a league best 1.92 GAA. In the SCF (loss) that year, he gave up 13 goals in 6 games. You know how many Broda gave up? 13. A 25 year old Maurice Richard managed 3 points in 5 games. Buddy O'Conner of all people led Montreal in scoring with 6. Blake had 4. The Habs star forwards got shut down.

So chalk up another strong run to Durnan's name.

So while I give Gardiner the slight nod for best single playoff run, it's one Cup. One. His 2nd near miss was good. Beyond that there is literally nothing. His playoff resume is insanely thin and apparently that manages to blow the doors off what I just posted above?

I'm spent. I'm going to bed.

Appreciate the dialogue everyone.

It really looks like you are judging them by their win/loss records, ignoring their teammates (Gardiner's were not very good; for a few years Durnan played behind mostly NHLers against teams full of AHLers), and ignoring every contemporary account of how they played (Gardiner was heavily praised in the playoffs for several years a row before his Cup winning year, Durnan was heavily criticized for 1945 and especially 1950).

Durnan's Canadiens, unlike every other NHL team, did everything they could to prevent their players from leaving the team and serving in WW2. As a result, they barely lost anyone (just Ken Reardon I think), while other teams were decimated. They were an almost-full-strength NHL team playing against teams full of AHLers. Montreal probably shouldn't have a lost a single playoff game from 1944-1945 - they more or less did what they were supposed to in 1944 (and 1946), but their loss in the 1945 playoffs to a war-decimated Toronto team is one of the greatest upsets in NHL history, and Durnan was at least partly at fault.

Then of course, in each man's final playoffs, one famously died winning the Cup, the other one retired in the middle of the freaking playoffs because of the stress.

_____

Really the only thing Durnan has going for him in the comparison is the Hart record, but I'm reluctant to compare Hart records between eras, as voting trends change so much. Defensemen were fairly dominant in Hart voting during Gardiner's prime, whatever that means.

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I guess Montreal's 1946 Cup win was more or less a "real" Cup, as other teams got their players back by the end of the season, though not necessarily with time to get into full NHL shape. But man, that loss in 1945 was brutal.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
2. Good. Then we can stop bringing them up as if they mean anything here or in the HoH section.

Now here I get bit annoyed. Last year you presented lot of stuff about Smokey Harris. And it was well done. But you pointed new All-Star findings for him. I pointed out to you that the All-Star you were quoting for 1912 was actually Frank Patricks choice to the All-Star game against East. Smokey Harris was late addition to the team as spare. He wasn´t in any of the media chosen All-Stars that year

Now in 1917 you went and used the refeees selection to point out he was All-Star that year. Official All-Star selection that year was the scorekeepers selection (I get back to that later). Harris wasn´t on any of those lists.

And then you added various non sourced Trail and Total All-Star selections to add this up. And you did not see any problem in it even though you knew it. That is the text book example why I´m critic of using All-Star selection as such. Without context outsider would actually believe reading that bio that he was All-Star every year (well obviously he was some sort of All-Star).

Now the "unofficial" media votes. I have scrutinized the background of many of those selectors. And those were the leading hockey voices of the west. And I believe you have quoted them many times in the bios you have made. The problem if you are so critical of those selections why would quote from them (or other media writer) from some point of the season would be important? Why that should be taken in count? If you go fully statitistical approach that is fine. And very important. It is important to give that view to people too.

Now overall small recap from the research I have made. It isn´t perfect and it is never ending work in progress. Because the claim Ion selected All-Star every year still exist.

1912-1916 No such thing as official selection did seem to exist. The most authority seemed to have Vancouver Province writer Jimmy Hewitt (he went to war after that and sadly died). Possibly because he was from east and was not "new market" reporter so to speak. Various challenging All-Star´s were also made by papers. And even asked from some hockey figures.

1917-1918 As the league started to expand more these years the "scorekeepers" selected the All-Star team. Those were A.P. Garvey, Royal Brougham, Lou Kennedy and for the first year J.S. Bain from Spokane. I guess you could say that the leading hockey writer from the city (who was also the league statistician in the city) gave selection. And consensus from that was made. Various others All-Stars most importantly the Referees selection already existed.

1919-1924 Now here we come to Mickey Ion and his sole selection. The reason for that is they did though that scorekeepers only did see the home town games and thus it was important to pick the selector who did see every game. It is fair to point out that in these years Ion may have had too much authority in selection. Less own newspapers selection seemed to be made (Atleast to my research to this day).

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Now here I get bit annoyed. Last year you presented lot of stuff about Smokey Harris. And it was well done. But you pointed new All-Star findings for him. I pointed out to you that the All-Star you were quoting for 1912 was actually Frank Patricks choice to the All-Star game against East. Smokey Harris was late addition to the team as spare. He wasn´t in any of the media chosen All-Stars that year

Now in 1917 you went and used the refeees selection to point out he was All-Star that year. Official All-Star selection that year was the scorekeepers selection (I get back to that later). Harris wasn´t on any of those lists.

And then you added various non sourced Trail and Total All-Star selections to add this up. And you did not see any problem in it even though you knew it. That is the text book example why I´m critic of using All-Star selection as such. Without context outsider would actually believe reading that bio that he was All-Star every year (well obviously he was some sort of All-Star).

Now the "unofficial" media votes. I have scrutinized the background of many of those selectors. And those were the leading hockey voices of the west. And I believe you have quoted them many times in the bios you have made. The problem if you are so critical of those selections why would quote from them (or other media writer) from some point of the season would be important? Why that should be taken in count? If you go fully statitistical approach that is fine. And very important. It is important to give that view to people too.

Now overall small recap from the research I have made. It isn´t perfect and it is never ending work in progress. Because the claim Ion selected All-Star every year still exist.

1912-1916 No such thing as official selection did seem to exist. The most authority seemed to have Vancouver Province writer Jimmy Hewitt (he went to war after that and sadly died). Possibly because he was from east and was not "new market" reporter so to speak. Various challenging All-Star´s were also made by papers. And even asked from some hockey figures.

1917-1918 As the league started to expand more these years the "scorekeepers" selected the All-Star team. Those were A.P. Garvey, Royal Brougham, Lou Kennedy and for the first year J.S. Bain from Spokane. I guess you could say that the leading hockey writer from the city (who was also the league statistician in the city) gave selection. And consensus from that was made. Various others All-Stars most importantly the Referees selection already existed.

1919-1924 Now here we come to Mickey Ion and his sole selection. The reason for that is they did though that scorekeepers only did see the home town games and thus it was important to pick the selector who did see every game. It is fair to point out that in these years Ion may have had too much authority in selection. Less own newspapers selection seemed to be made (Atleast to my research to this day).

To the bolded, based on all the PCHA all star teams @tarheelhockey has listed in the sticky thread on the HOH you're totally right. I'm not sure why I believed it was just Ion every year.

Thanks for the info!

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
upload_2021-3-2_8-45-55.png

"Broda ... and ... Durnan ... who saved their teams in critical moments." - 1947 finals

Le droit, 21 avril 1947, lundi 21 avril 1947

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
upload_2021-3-2_8-48-47.png

"The rookies of Coach Day overcame the veterans of the metropolis (Montreal) 2-1 (to win the Cup)

"A team of young players reinforced by some veterans ... got the better of the club that had been called "the best hockey club since 1927."
The Canadian's veterans, handicapped by several injuries, were totally disorganized from the second period of play and after taking a one point lead in the second period and after taking a one point lead in the first period and having dominated during the first twenty minutes, the Habs had to bow to the ardor of the Leafs who won by 2-1 and deserved the honors of the series in six games. "

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
View attachment 402307

"Broda ... and ... Durnan ... who saved their teams in critical moments." - 1947 finals

View attachment 402308

"The rookies of Coach Day overcame the veterans of the metropolis (Montreal) 2-1 (to win the Cup)

"A team of young players reinforced by some veterans ... got the better of the club that had been called "the best hockey club since 1927."
The Canadian's veterans, handicapped by several injuries, were totally disorganized from the second period of play and after taking a one point lead in the second period and after taking a one point lead in the first period and having dominated during the first twenty minutes, the Habs had to bow to the ardor of the Leafs who won by 2-1 and deserved the honors of the series in six games. "

Yes and?

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada

Injuries. The same problem with saying Morenz was a passenger in the 1930 playoffs I think it was (he played with broken ribs). Also, Richard led the playoffs in scoring.

More raving of Durnan (after a paragraph about Broda- also raves). "Durnan made impossible saves from the beginning of the game..." Durnan said he was screened on the last goal (I think I've seen this on video).

Screenshot_2021-03-02 BAnQ numérique.png

Last edited:

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
upload_2021-3-2_9-17-53.png

Injuries also in 1945.

Le petit journal, 15 avril 1945, dimanche 15 avril 1945 (Charles Mayer)

Screenshot_2021-03-02 BAnQ numérique(1).png

"Toronto played a perfect defensive game (in front of McCool) from the point of view of possession... but their players were also excellent at hooking, holding and cheating (basically).

Of course, when King Clancy is the referee, the Leafs have less difficulty in that they play in front of someone who was one of their own and who always excelled at the same kind of illegal tactics. When Bill Chadwick officiated, the situation was not so rosy for the Leafs. The point is, we remember the Canadiens won both games while Chadwick was in charge. However, since they are experts, they often manage to get away with it."

Also, saw a comment above about the Canadiens getting their players out of the war. Richard tried five times I think to enlist. His previous injuries were part of the reason he was not accepted.

In the 1945 playoffs, Lach (ankle), O'Connor (knee) and Gauthier all injured and Blake was sick.

So four out of their top 6 were not at 100%.

Screenshot_2021-03-02 BAnQ numérique(2).png

Last edited:

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I don't see how one career year that was up to Broda's long term level proves anything. You're practically suggesting that any goalie could have done it. Do you really think Bibeault's career would have been within miles of Broda's had he played 14 years in Toronto? You're also practically dismissing the impact that three very strong defensive defensemen would have had on the Habs and Durnan. Yes, Harvey could play well both ways, but he, Bouchard, and Reardon all excelled on the defensive side. I understand the value of a defensive system, but having three guys with that level of defensive acumen is still a very big deal.

It’s not about Bibeault being as good as Broda, we all know he wasn’t. Why did the leafs remain 2nd in GAA?

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
As for Durnan in 1950, I was always under the impression he was injured and it was a chronic hand injury.He dominated the 49-50 season otherwise. It's always been said that Broda was great in the playoffs and raised his game but Durnan was clearly the better goalie. Growing up that's what I remember older people saying, and my grandfather was a Broda fan- that was his favorite player.

Have to find that later. I think Durnan gets a bad shake in ATD, but not sure it would affect his ranking much amyway. If you are just going by Cup wins; but put Durnan on those Leaf teams in the late 40s and you can be sure the results don't change. By all accounts he was a man amongst boys and he started late. The war years actually take away from his record - same for Richard, not the reverse. I find it strange his reputation on these boards, it's not the impression I've always had growing up in Montreal with the oldtimers in the 70s talking about him.

Last edited:

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
It’s not about Bibeault being as good as Broda, we all know he wasn’t. Why did the leafs remain 2nd in GAA?

Looking at the stats in the context of that year, it seems pretty obvious that, as I said, Bibeault had a career year. That year certainly appears to be a fluke compared to the rest of his career, and the war years were certainly an odd duck.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
When literally every starting goalie except Durnan was missing from the NHL in 1944 due to WW2, one of the replacements needed to look second best... (re: Bibeault)

BTW, tiny, I don't want to sound too critical of Durnan - he's something like 15th in my order of goalies. It's just that, to me, it's really obvious that the short career / high peak goalies go 1. Dryden 2. Gardiner 3. Durnan

Reactions: ResilientBeast

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
It really looks like you are judging them by their win/loss records, ignoring their teammates (Gardiner's were not very good; for a few years Durnan played behind mostly NHLers against teams full of AHLers), and ignoring every contemporary account of how they played (Gardiner was heavily praised in the playoffs for several years a row before his Cup winning year, Durnan was heavily criticized for 1945 and especially 1950).

Durnan's Canadiens, unlike every other NHL team, did everything they could to prevent their players from leaving the team and serving in WW2. As a result, they barely lost anyone (just Ken Reardon I think), while other teams were decimated. They were an almost-full-strength NHL team playing against teams full of AHLers. Montreal probably shouldn't have a lost a single playoff game from 1944-1945 - they more or less did what they were supposed to in 1944 (and 1946), but their loss in the 1945 playoffs to a war-decimated Toronto team is one of the greatest upsets in NHL history, and Durnan was at least partly at fault.

Then of course, in each man's final playoffs, one famously died winning the Cup, the other one retired in the middle of the freaking playoffs because of the stress.

_____

Really the only thing Durnan has going for him in the comparison is the Hart record, but I'm reluctant to compare Hart records between eras, as voting trends change so much. Defensemen were fairly dominant in Hart voting during Gardiner's prime, whatever that means.

1. No, I'm not.

Let me break this down so it's crystal clear

Charlie Gardiner played exactly 7 years in the NHL. That is weak, even by era standards. We can cry about that being so because he died but guess what? Doesn't matter. I'm not projecting and will dismiss anyone who does. So.

In those 7 years Gardiner was:

4 Time AS (3 1st and a 2nd)

The G's he was competing with were as follows:

Roy Worters, Tiny Thompson, George Hainsworth. Those are the ATD worthy goalies, all of whom rank outside the top 15 all time, universally. Worters being the only one capable of finding a top 20 placement. That is WEAK. THAT is why I don't fall down on my knees over the AS votes. And why? Compare those G's to the G's Bower or Durnan were facing?

Durnan was besting Frank Brimsek, Turk Broda, and Chuck Rayner specifically for AS nods. Those 3 goalies are quite superior collectively to the ones above.

Bower played in an era with a prime Plante, Hall, Sawchuk, Lumley, Worsely, etc, etc. He was literally best in the world over all of them, specifically the 1st 3 names in 1961. He got more Hart votes than Gordie Howe, Beliveau, HullThat bullet point is so far ahead of anything Gardiner did, I don't know why I even have to say this a second time. He was better than Hall in the playoffs, Sawchuk, Plante. And I'm not talking wins. I'm talking statistically. He made them look silly, more than once.

Bower against Sawchuk in the 63 Cup final?

Bower had 147/157 = .936
Sawchuk had 140/156 = .897

Bower was 38. Sawchuk 33.

Bower faced 1 more shot (we can throw the tired stereotype that Bower must have faced depressed volume and benefited mainly from the defensive teams. Sick of seeing it) and posted a vastly better SV% despite being 5 years older, well past the normal prime for a G.

That same year, Bower against Plante in the first round?

Bower had 152/158 = .962
Plante had 125/139 - .899

Bower was 38. Plante 34.

Bower faced more volume. Again. Came out way on top. Again.

This playoff run, right here, without looking at a single other season, puts him over Gardiner as a playoff G IMO (you'll see more evidence at the bottom). He whipped 2 very strong teams, 2 of the top 6 goalies of all time head to head, looking like an easy Conn Smythe player. Tougher era, tougher comp, higher scoring environment, significantly so. And again, Bower faced more volume (and looked better) than Sawchuk in the 64 SCF, a 7 game series that saw Bower shut out a Gordie Howe led roster in the deciding game 7.

Hell, maybe the most impressive thing he did was in 67, when he got in 3 games in the SCF and saved 100/103 shots against the Habs. That's a .971 sv%. At age 42. The vast majority of hockey players, ever, don't even play that long. And he was a brick wall, in a SCF. But hey, he platooned as if that is a surprise for a 42 year old human being??

Getting back to Durnan?

6 AS, all 1st team placements (over the likes of Brimsek, Broda, Lumley, Rayner)
Hart record of 2, 3, 5 (as i pointed out the 2nd and 5th place came well after WWII)

So he whips Durnan as an AS vote getter. Fact.

He beat better goalies to get better AS record. Fact.

And I have to listen to claims that his Hart record is the only thing he has over a guy with 4, in a weaker era?

People project out on Gardiner past his death and they are giving him waaaaay too much extra credit for not playing on the best team. See the last sentence bolded as perfect evidence and below for more evidence that the supposed minor league roster he carried to a title is rubbish. Dying gives him no extra credit. Doing that is ridiculous. It doesn't change how many SC's he won, or the fact he has only TWO meaningful playoff runs to his name. Literally TWO.

Gardiner doesn't even have a large enough career to begin to consider him a fringe top 10 G. It's absurd.

So Durnan was partly to blame for 45? So what? He actually had numerous playoff runs, some of them quite good. Gardiner is like a mega-Bossy around there parts. Let's focus on 2 playoff runs, and ignore the fact that he doesn't have the multiple years that would have surely brought about subpar performances. Even Roy and Plante sucked in the playoffs at times. Happens to EVERYONE. Durnan breaking down mentally is something I don't knock him for much. He was in his mid 30's and mental health, has and continues to be a major travesty/injustice for our species. Can you imagine, in his day (75 years ago) trying to be open about struggling with emotions and anxiety and depression? People today are still ostracized, certainly less so but just look at the homeless and you'll see hundreds of thousands of people in the US alone, who likely ended up homeless in part because of mental health issues/subsequent drug use.

I'm more concerned that Gardiner is somehow this mythical player despite having such little resume, especially compared to anyone that he ranks around. Those ARE the facts.

Gardiner
4 AS
7th place Hart
1 SC (I'll even give him a unanimous CS) and one other good, but non winning playoff run.

And he died young.

Durnan
6 AS (all over better comp)
2, 3, 5 Hart (over better comp)
2 SC (the one in 46 you can argue he was the best player in the finals, though I'd lean Lach) and a strong run in 47 (losing effort)

Like I said.

The only way you get Gardiner over any of these guys I've mentioned and compared, is to A, project more AS caliber years beyond his death, and B, give him far to much credit for playing on bad to average teams but here we'll see why even that is closer to a crock than reality.

Best players on that SC team in 34?

Hawks:

Prime Paul Thompson (HOF)
Prime Lionel Conacher (HOF, he was a 1st team AS and Hart runner up this year)
Prime Johnny Gottselig
Art Coulter (HOF, 24, he'd be an AS and Hart finalist the following year)
Taffey Abel (33)

Here is who Detroit had?

Prime Ebbie Goodfellow (HOF)
Prime Coney Weiland (HOF)
Prime Larry Aurie
Prime Herbie Lewis (HOF)
Prime Doug Young

It's not like Gardiner won with a roster full of minor leaguers, or beat a dominant power house so we can dispense with his notion he somehow deserves more than a slight bump for this win. I give him a slight bump for winning that Cup, beyond the win itself, because he was impressive and yes he did die helping them win, but in no way shape or form did he carry a vastly inferior team to a title. That is a fallacy.

I'm not trying to crush Gardiner. I have zero dog in the fight. I didn't draft him, don't even know who did off the top of my head. I simply look at his career, even giving him a slight bump for gaining recognition on a roster that wasn't insanely good, winning a Cup. But his era is very weak for goalies. His AS and Hart shares are weak compared to almost any G near him in a traditional ranking scale and his playoff resume boils down to 2 runs.

That's it.

I added those AS nods for Smokey Harris because they were new information. Period. Let's get that out of the way right now. You yourself said that 2 of them were not known by anyone, no? His unanimous choice as a RW in I think 15-16. His addition as a spare in 1912. I'm actually trying to contribute to hockey history research.

That's it. I didn't try and use them as some sort of massive leverage. I didn't promote Harris in a light that said, "OMG, I found a few more AS merits for him in a non consolidated league, I think he should be drafted 200 spots higher!". The highlights of his career, the ones that I used to really drive home Harris' value was his defensive reputation, which, again, just another major portion of someone's career, a depth ATD player that would in no way change whether I won or lost, and yet I spent lord knows how many hours pouring over newspapers trying to find as much pertinent information on Harris, because these guys, especially these depth ATD types, deserve to have their careers looked at.

Smokey Harris reads like a faster version of Northcott. Before my research I wouldn't have said that. But read that bio and you now see the heaps of praise he was getting for his defensive game and physicality specifically. When you're getting compared to Mickey MacKay for example (didn't see that in any previous bio) you were probably really good. That and the sheer volume of praise added for his defensive abilities is/would be the biggest source of increased value for Harris specifically as it pertains to the ATD. They have similar offensive values, defensive reputations, Harris was uber physical, from day 1 until his last. Harris was an elite skater. Northcott gets a bump for playing consolidated hockey but lining them up side by side? Where is the difference?

Hence what you saw this year as @TheDevilMadeMe drafted him earlier than I did last year. 474 to 334. Now some of that is due to draft size (40, 2 GM's per team vs 24 teams this year) but Harris' stock increased regardless of those AS votes I found. Those don't matter much to me, and I don't think, as @Dreakmur said, matter all that much to others either. But I watched them be flaunted by people in a HoH, top project and that annoyed me. It's always annoyed me, if we're talking about annoyances haha.

There is so much new information I've provided the past calendar year, and I'm aware it's appreciated. TDMM and many others, including yourself have thanked me and I genuinely appreciate you all for acknowledging it. I have the same admiration for people who do heavy lifting in similar areas and make it known as well. That's how this should work. That's how I want to conduct myself.

I enjoy challenging narratives, especially when it's my hard work that brings information about that makes it quite clear that those narratives are no longer valid (be it by a lot or even just slightly). Pete Green literally went from a "meh" to a man who should and hopefully will be inducted into the HOF one day. What if I had decided to not spend night after night, for weeks, until 2, 3 in the AM, to find that information?

That's the rub here and what annoys me, what makes me nearly leave year after year. People don't seem to understand how some of these exchanges look from my POV and they don't even care how it looks to the outsiders or even standing members who have left and are leaving.

I know right now, some in this thread think I'm just trying to over inflate the G I drafted for the express purpose of ATD post draft arguments. I'm used to it.

Last year on person (ATD member not posting in here) flat out said I was pimping Green excessively because I drafted him. As if Pete Green was going to change the trajectory of an ATD draft. I'm not sure if you've ever been a GM, but coaches matter little here. I know some GM's give coaches next to no consideration when evaluating rosters.

Did I get a little overexcited initially on Green by saying he might have a cases for 5th all time? Yeah. That was emotion. We're human beings. I quickly backed off that and went to a more reasonable conclusion that he would be in the conversation for me somewhere inside the top 10, based on win/losses/SC's but more importantly the many innovations to hockey he provided. Creating a defensive system that the NHL literally altered rules to attempt to make obsolete. The fact he was the man responsible for turning Cylone Taylor into a Dman. King Clancy literally said any greatness he accomplished was directly tied to Pete Green's tutelage. His career is incredible IMO. It would look incredible just based on a wins/losses but the stuff beyond that is significant.

For those of you who are in the ATD. I don't care about winning. I don't care if you ever vote for me, whether I have a better team or not. I trust the vast majority of people to be fair, but honestly could care less if I get bounced in round 1 (would actually make my life easier haha) or go all the way. I'm not going to make long arguments moving forward in the match up threads, because quite frankly, I don't have the energy. I gave everything I had last year and won't be doing it again. I'd rather use it to research because that is long lasting. That information will be there and cared about long after an ATD win.

I'm not infallible to mistakes. I'm not the smartest guy in this or most any room. But I do work harder than most to find information and bring it to light. And when you look at the names of people I'm spending ridiculous amounts of time on, it's pretty clear I'm doing it for more than just an ATD draft. Green, Harry Westwick, Smokey Harris, Bun Cook, George Vezina (though he's already studied quite thorughly), currently Hap Holmes. Even Nels Stewart a few years ago was a really in depth look at his splits between C and LW, and some highlights about his defensive game/speed (as told by Toe Blake).

If people choose to believe differently, still, then I'll probably do nothing to convince them otherwise, ever.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
So the business of PCHA all star teams

RB's PCHA Research Thread

Oatman is listed as a RW all-star here

1913-1914, Pacific Coast Hockey Association

All-star team:
Source: Winnipeg Tribune, February 28th 1914 (p.21)
Player:Pos:Team:
Hugh LehmanGNew Westminster Royals
Frank PatrickPointVancouver Millionaires
Ernie 'Moose' JohnsonCover PointNew Westminster Royals
Fred 'Cyclone' TaylorRoverVancouver Millionaires
Tommy DunderdaleCVictoria Aristocrats
Eddie OatmanRWNew Westminster Royals
Dubbie KerrLWVictoria Aristocrats
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

He played rover almost this entire season, so without context surrounding the selections. This seems dubious, did they move him because Taylor was better?

Reactions: ImporterExporter

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada

All-star team:
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
He played rover almost this entire season, so without context surrounding the selections. This seems dubious, did they move him because Taylor was better?

Instead of all-star teams, I'd like to see tiers regardless of position.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
I added those AS nods for Smokey Harris because they were new information. Period. Let's get that out of the way right now. You yourself said that 2 of them were not known by anyone, no? His unanimous choice as a RW in I think 15-16. His addition as a spare in 1912. I'm actually trying to contribute to hockey history research.

That's it. I didn't try and use them as some sort of massive leverage. I didn't promote Harris in a light that said, "OMG, I found a few more AS merits for him in a non consolidated league, I think he should be drafted 200 spots higher!". The highlights of his career, the ones that I used to really drive home Harris' value was his defensive reputation, which, again, just another major portion of someone's career, a depth ATD player that would in no way change whether I won or lost, and yet I spent lord knows how many hours pouring over newspapers trying to find as much pertinent information on Harris, because these guys, especially these depth ATD types, deserve to have their careers looked at.

If people choose to believe differently, still, then I'll probably do nothing to convince them otherwise, ever.

Well I was more refering you finding it. But I believe you may have brought to ATD communitys attention. I posted that to History forum 5-6 years ago when I was doing those researches. Very briefly talked about with few History forum members. It´s a niche thing and does not get lot of attention. I may have posted that All-Star game thing to somewhere. Regarded it more as All-Star game rather than a selection.

Retroactive NHL Award Winners (MOD: and actual PCHA, WCHL/WHL & WHA All-Star Teams)

And what I meant is that this here is the Official PCHA All-Star selection from that year.

The Calgary Daily Herald - Google-uutisarkistohaku

I believe it was brought to History forum by member @BM67 much earlier. The selection was made by the scorekeepers (if you are interest you can read that last part of my last post.) What is better and what kind of conclusion should be made out of these. I let each and everyone decide that.

There is lot of interesting stuff that you have brought and lot of stuff that I haven´t seen. I don´t think anyone dismiss that. But sometimes in my opinion you seem to respect your own findings much more than work of others. And if others don´t reach the same conclusion out of the data/information you bring youseem to get slightly offended. But I don´t know.

All in all you are doing good work and keep doing it.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
By the way, I was really interested in Smokey Harris because of the information IE did that portrayed him as a borderline elite physical player and a very good defensive one.

From an ATD perspective, I don't really care about All-Star LW votes in a league where all the best "forwards" played center or rover. Though I think it's good to have the information out there for "completeness" sake.

Just mentioning it because my "bump" of Harris was mentioned. I'm actually a little skeptical about his offense myself, though I am satisfied that he's at least a bit of a "pass first" guy.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton

All-star team:
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I found the article, cited by @tarheelhockey - The Vancouver Province appears to be the original source

It actually says since Johnson entered a slump he should be replaced by Bobby Genge.

"the writer has one strong objection to the foregoing selection, with is that Bobby Genge, the victoria point has not been given a place. Genge has been playing remarkably fine hockey this season, and he simply must be included among the all-stars"

"A glance at the records will show Frank Patrick, Genge, Taylor, Dunderdale, Kerr and Oatman would make up an aggregation of goal getters that could not be beaten in hockey."

So I'm inclined to assume they moved Oatman to RW here to assemble this group of goal scorers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad